Game Mechanics Drills vs. Pickaxes: What's the Difference?

Is this good?

• Yes, this suggestion should be left like it is.

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Drill still need a buff.

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Drills are now too powerful with these changes.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • This is bad.

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters
Even if reagan is being a little rude, I have to side with him. Pickaxes for the hardmode ores were implemented because the drill sound drove people insane. Sure, maybe drills should have knockback and should be as fast as pickaxes are, but they shouldn't be different. Drills and pickaxes should be identical. End of story.
Even if that happened, pickaxes would still be considered better than drills because they can defend you while mining (and they aren't as loud as a drill IRL).

snippity snip
Your argument if I'm following is that they're both made of the same materials and you don't want one to be better than the other because that's what they're meant to be. Your solution is removing drills.

Two things I can say to this. One, if drills' range was decreased, you can have those for mining faster and pickaxes for building or other things. Two, removing items is not a solution. You can change the crafting recipes, for example.

Even if that happened, pickaxes would still be considered better than drills because they can defend you while mining (and they aren't as loud as a drill IRL).
Did you not read the part where I said "Drills and pickaxes should be identical"? I clearly stated that using a drill or using a pickaxe should be purely up to the player. I don't want to use drills, but some people do. There shouldn't be some tradeoff system, because I can't stand using drills. I literally only used my palladium drill for mining mythril ore until I could get a mythril pickaxe. It shouldn't be so complicated to realize that whether or not you should use a drill or pickaxe should be up to personal preference.

So? My idea gives even more support to personal preference. The ones who like speedmining choose drills, the ones who like safe mining chose picks. At least now if you like the old way, you can always just chose a pick
I... just... don't you realize that people who like speedmining and hate drills are now going to be pissed off? Adding this REMOVES personal preference because now people who want to speedmine have to use drills now, even if they hate drills.

Last edited:
Did you not read the part where I said "Drills and pickaxes should be identical"? I clearly stated that using a drill or using a pickaxe should be purely up to the player. I don't want to use drills, but some people do. There shouldn't be some tradeoff system, because I can't stand using drills. I literally only used my palladium drill for mining mythril ore until I could get a mythril pickaxe. It shouldn't be so complicated to realize that whether or not you should use a drill or pickaxe should be up to personal preference.
Did you not read the part where everyone else said they should be different? I will say it for the third time: whats the point of two different things if they have exactly the same function? So what if drills are loud and annoying, that noise can be removed (which im not opposed to).

Did you not read the part where I said "Drills and pickaxes should be identical"?
Did you read the part where I said why they can't be identical?
due to the fact that pickaxes are swinging weapons and drills are something that you hold out in front of you, there's no way to make them functional identical (except for taking away their ability to damage enemies, which isn't an option)

Don't you realize that people who like speedmining and hate drills are now going to be pissed off? Adding this REMOVES personal preference because now people who want to speedmine have to use drills now, even if they hate drills.
If the drill sound gets removed, which isnt a bad idea, people wont care about cosmetics.
How about this to close up this argument:
Make drills do slightly more damage, and make them just as fast as pickaxes and give them knockback. That should shut everyone up.
Fine if thats what you want stick with it, but there should definately be a distinct difference like what the OP says, at least in my opinion.

Mining armor and accessories with mining speed boosts increase mining speed. Same with the mining potion.

Mining armor and accessories with mining speed boosts increase mining speed. Same with the mining potion.
In that case, everybody should just use shroomite digging claws and this whole discussion is pointless.
Is that what your saying?

Also, using mining armor in hardmode is pretty much suicide. along with the angler clothes as well.

In that case, everybody should just use shroomite digging claws and this whole discussion is pointless.
Is that what your saying?

Also, using mining armor in hardmode is pretty much suicide. along with the angler clothes as well.
Iron skin and durability potions? And life fore and live regen?

Drills look amazing while pick axes not so much. Drills always have fast speed. No matter what. Pick axes can have very fast speed or extremely fast speed, such as the shroomite digging claw.

Identical? You make no sense. Whats the point of having 2 different things if they do EXACTLY THE SAME THING????? There should be a choice for miners: slower but safer vs. faster but riskier.
Now you're getting it!
There is no point!
To make them different would be a wrench to the balance!
Removal of one or the other or the equalization of each is the only reasonable action.

And yes of course it's possible to remove items, or just replace their data with something else.
Just change all the drills into pickaxes, for example. Two items with different IDs will consequently be identical but it really doesn't matter.

Now you're getting it!
There is no point!
Removal of one or the other or the equalization of each is the only reasonable action.

And yes of course it's possible to remove items, or just replace their data with something else.
Just change all the drills into pickaxes, for example. Two items with different IDs will consequently be identical but it really doesn't matter.
You just never catch on do you? Rather than being stupid and removing items (like what happened to the Scythe), just make them different but balanced so there actually IS A POINT! See it all makes sense now!

Now you're getting it!
There is no point!

It possible to remove items, but the devs have never removed an item just because it was useless, and I doubt they'll start now.

It possible to remove items, but the devs have never removed an item just because it had no point, and I doubt they'll do that now.
That is true, especially taking into consideration that this thread is a solution to the pointlessness problem. Thats why i wrote it to begin with.

And ronald, your first post said something like a communist wrote the thread. As far as i can tell the only one being communistic is the one who said picks and drills should be identical. Why that even came up i have no idea, but im just addressing it now.

Back
Top Bottom