Game Mechanics Drills vs. Pickaxes: What's the Difference?

Is this good?

• Yes, this suggestion should be left like it is.

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Drill still need a buff.

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Drills are now too powerful with these changes.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • This is bad.

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters
It's an american expression to warn of future cussing. I don't blame you for being a foreign commie and not understanding.

The OP lists 1.5x speed. That 50% increased, for the mathematically impaired, not 10%.
I go back to the idea that pickaxes are not intended to be weapons of any sort. I'm not suggesting their damage is removed, but I would not be upset if such a change was set in place.
The point of this thread was to balance drills and picks, and everyone except you seems to think it does. Stop arguing about pickaxe damage, this has nothing to do with that.

The point of this thread was to balance drills and picks, and everyone except you seems to think it does. Stop arguing about pickaxe damage, this has nothing to do with that.
I think his point is that both pickaxes and drills are meant for mining, and having drills be better for mining and pickaxes better for combat but not as good as swords would make pickaxes a bit worthless.

Fine.
Drills should be brought up to have equivalent stats to their pickaxe counterparts or removed entirely from the game.
While it's true drills are at a small disadvantage as they are, it is much worse to over-balance. Each metal is supposed to have a marginal increase of mining ability, and throwing in super-speed drills just tosses the idea of balance out the window entirely.

I think his point is that both pickaxes and drills are meant for mining, and having drills be better for mining and pickaxes better for combat but not as good as swords would make pickaxes a bit worthless.
Fine.
Drills should be brought up to have equivalent stats to their pickaxe counterparts or removed entirely from the game.
While it's true drills are at a small disadvantage as they are, it is much worse to over-balance. Each metal is supposed to have a marginal increase of mining ability, and throwing in super-speed drills just tosses the idea of balance out the window entirely.
Did either of you see that i said specifically that drills now have less range? That gives pickaxes a huge edge. One is built for speed, the other for ability.

Did either of you see that i said specifically that drills now have less range? That gives pickaxes a huge edge. One is built for speed, the other for ability.
I still disagree.
Mining is such a critical component of the game that it would still have potential to break down the balance.
No support.
I stand by my "Equalize or remove" suggestion.

then why don't you leave? I see nothing helpful, only someone trying to one-up everyone else. please learn to compromise or just observe.
Unbelievable.
This is a discussion board. I am here to discuss. I will not leave because I'm not welcome in your circle-jerk of "Buff the drills!"
No one here seems to be trying to one-up except perhaps you, telling me to leave.
I will not negotiate or compromise with terrorists.
On the other hand I already did. The suggestion was to increase drill speed by 50% and reduce their range by one. My initial suggestion was to remove drills.
I met in the middle and suggested they be equalized, which sounds to me like a perfectly reasonable and logical action to take.

Unbelievable.
This is a discussion board. I am here to discuss. I will not leave because I'm not welcome in your circle-jerk of "Buff the drills!"
No one here seems to be trying to one-up except perhaps you, telling me to leave.
On the other hand I already did. The suggestion was to increase drill speed by 50% and reduce their range by one. My initial suggestion was to remove drills.
I met in the middle and suggested they be equalized, which sounds to me like a perfectly reasonable and logical action to take.
Removing the drills isn't an option though, and due to the fact that pickaxes are swinging weapons and drills are something that you hold out in front of you, there's no way to make them functional identical (except for taking away their ability to damage enemies, which also isn't an option)

Unbelievable.
sigh. okay guys lets stop feeding the trolls. first off, Mr.McDonald, just equalizing drills and pickaxes gives no reason to have one or the other. so theres no balance. but if drills get a 50% increase in speed, but lose one range, the balance is left and both still have a reason to exist. pickaxes would become good for building or for mining larger caves, and drills for traveling underground and gathering resources.

Fully support this idea but I do have to say the drill sound is annoying as hell, needs to be reworked or be able to be shutoff w/o muting the game.
Can only imagine picksaw tier drill though, would be like swimming through the ground.

I don't blame you for being a foreign commie and not understanding.

Wow, there is no need for that. And not to mention you're a negitive nancy in every thread I see you in. Yes this is a place to discuss stuff but your being the "Commie" here and down right rejecting everything that you view as wrong and leaving no room for discussion or feed back.

What if tools were given their own modifiers, instead of copying over from melee? There could be mining speed boosts and +range boosts. Drills would dig faster than pickaxes, but pickaxes have the ability to knock enemies away (not to be used as a weapon, but to keep enemies off of you as you mine). You can dig a little slower with pickaxes but dig more safely, or dig a little faster with drills but be more open for damage.

Also, although I prefer picks (they just feel so much more satisfying without the rrrrr sound), it'd be cool to have some new drills like a spectre drill or molten drill, or axedrill for the picksaw.

What if tools were given their own modifiers, instead of copying over from melee? There could be mining speed boosts and +range boosts. Drills would dig faster than pickaxes, but pickaxes have the ability to knock enemies away (not to be used as a weapon, but to keep enemies off of you as you mine). You can dig a little slower with pickaxes but dig more safely, or dig a little faster with drills but be more open for damage.
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/tool-modifiers.2829/
I thought of that a LONG time ago ;)

Here's the issue.
There's not supposed to be a trade-off between picks and drills. It's SUPPOSED to not matter which one you use.
The only reason the pickaxe alternatives were introduced was for the people whole :red:ed and moaned about how unpleasant drills were. I was one of them. I'm naturally inclined to favor pickaxes. In my opinion, drills don't need to exist at all in this game. I don't mind that they do, but I see no reason to keep them around.

Nonetheless, introducing such a prominent difference (or a difference at all) between drills and pickaxes is irresponsible to the balance of the game. Mining speed is something that's probably been tweaked and thrown around and given special consideration while developing new tiered tools (except the reaver shark, holy hell that breaks the game). Adding in this variation affects choices of using mining armor, potions, the ability to harvest underground resources in general. That's something that would require a lot of re-balancing through the whole game not to be a bad choice.
Wow, there is no need for that. And not to mention you're a negitive nancy in every thread I see you in. Yes this is a place to discuss stuff but your being the "Commie" here and down right rejecting everything that you view as wrong and leaving no room for discussion or feed back.
Lighten up, I tossed in a meaningless insult to no one in particular. If you haven't noticed I seem to be outnumbered in this thread and I'm almost always on the defensive here. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else.

Here's the issue.
There's not supposed to be a trade-off between picks and drills. It's SUPPOSED to not matter which one you use.
The only reason the pickaxe alternatives were introduced was for the people whole :red:ed and moaned about how unpleasant drills were. I was one of them. I'm naturally inclined to favor pickaxes. In my opinion, drills don't need to exist at all in this game. I don't mind that they do, but I see no reason to keep them around.

Nonetheless, introducing such a prominent difference (or a difference at all) between drills and pickaxes is irresponsible to the balance of the game. Mining speed is something that's probably been tweaked and thrown around and given special consideration while developing new tiered tools (except the reaver shark, holy hell that breaks the game). Adding in this variation affects choices of using mining armor, potions, the ability to harvest underground resources in general. That's something that would require a lot of re-balancing through the whole game not to be a bad choice.
Whats the point of having 2 different things if they both do exactly the same thing? Your logic baffles me. This thread is simply suggesting a way to make drills and picks "different but equal".
sigh. okay guys lets stop feeding the trolls. first off, Mr.McDonald, just equalizing drills and pickaxes gives no reason to have one or the other. so theres no balance. but if drills get a 50% increase in speed, but lose one range, the balance is left and both still have a reason to exist. pickaxes would become good for building or for mining larger caves, and drills for traveling underground and gathering resources.
I couldnt have said that better myself. See, you understand my logic.

Here's the issue.

Lighten up, I tossed in a meaningless insult to no one in particular. If you haven't noticed I seem to be outnumbered in this thread and I'm almost always on the defensive here. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else.
To truly make them equal, you would need to remove any damage and knockback received by pickaxes, which many players find to be useful when starting out and mining meteorites. Perhaps a simple ability to mute drills would work better, as long as they are made as useful as their pickaxe counterparts.

Even if reagan is being a little rude, I have to side with him. Pickaxes for the hardmode ores were implemented because the drill sound drove people insane. Sure, maybe drills should have knockback and should be as fast as pickaxes are, but they shouldn't be different. Drills and pickaxes should be identical. End of story.

Even if reagan is being a little rude, I have to side with him. Pickaxes for the hardmode ores were implemented because the drill sound drove people insane. Sure, maybe drills should have knockback and should be as fast as pickaxes are, but they shouldn't be different. Drills and pickaxes should be identical. End of story.
Identical? You make no sense. Whats the point of having 2 different things if they do EXACTLY THE SAME THING????? There should be a choice for miners: slower but safer vs. faster but riskier.

Identical? You make no sense. Whats the point of having 2 different things if they do EXACTLY THE SAME THING????? There should be a choice for miners: slower but safer vs. faster but riskier.
It's called personal preference. Some people like drills, some people do not.

Back
Top Bottom