Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, this is one important mechanic question:

Looking at the gameplay footage, it appears that there's some sort of auto-targeting going on? I'm wondering how one would shift their focus on which enemy gets targeted? Because it looks like the targeting makes crowds a little annoying, and I can easily see it causing problems in bossfights. So what's the story on that? Is there a way to switch what enemy is getting targeted?

While we're on the subject, how do you guys find the ZL and ZR buttons? They feel a bit odd to me, like a single button split into two, rather than two distinct inputs like on a PlayStation pad. Are you finding you you can hit R and not accidentally ZR reliably?
I have not handled the new 3DS but i'm sure i won't be hitting it accidentally as much.

Also, this is one important mechanic question:

Looking at the gameplay footage, it appears that there's some sort of auto-targeting going on? I'm wondering how one would shift their focus on which enemy gets targeted? Because it looks like the targeting makes crowds a little annoying, and I can easily see it causing problems in bossfights. So what's the story on that? Is there a way to switch what enemy is getting targeted?

We're working on a system that will allow you to cycle targets or to disable autoaim altogether. It's not quite done yet, but we're aware of the potential issues and will do our best to get around them.

We're working on a system that will allow you to cycle targets or to disable autoaim altogether. It's not quite done yet, but we're aware of the potential issues and will do our best to get around them.
And on a similar subject, what does the X button do? So far I haven't really seen it used in any of the gameplay footage, so I'm thinking perhaps X could switch targets?

And on a similar subject, what does the X button do? So far I haven't really seen it used in any of the gameplay footage, so I'm thinking perhaps X could switch targets?

And you'd be right! Or at least right now it does that, might change before launch.

Hey Deanzor, I just want to thank you for answering all of our questions, and want to tell you I think Terraria WiiU/3ds will be amazing no mater how the end result is.

No worries, mate. I check this thread a couple of times a day. I haven't got time to monitor the whole of the forum because they make me do work (booooo), but I'll continue to keep a close eye on this thread.

I have a question for you guys now:

As I'm sure you're aware, the original 3DS has a fewer buttons available than, say, a PS3 controller does. One of the control decisions we've taken there is to use the dpad exclusively to manipulate the manual cursor, and NOT for a four-item quick select like on the other consoles.

We don't want to force you to use the stylus to mine and build all the time, and the dpad control for the cursor feels so right now it's in.

What I want to know is: how much will you, as hardcore players, miss the quick select? Bear in mind that 3DS also has ten inventory items that can be directly selected on the bottom screen - does that mitigate this? I think for new players they will take to this like a duck to water because they are not used to it being any other way, but is this a deal breaker for the hardcore guys? How much do you care?

@Deanzor Personally, although not terribly hardcore; I don't think I would miss the quick select, and like the idea of cursor being on d-pad as an alternative... I barely use it to begin with when I play on the console version that I own. Really is minor for myself, unsure of others though... Would not be a deal breaker, at least for myself.:dryadsmile:

The only thing I had on my quick select were healing potions, my magic mirror, mana potions, and my wisp in a bottle. I usually forgot about it though.

As I'm sure you're aware, the original 3DS has a fewer buttons available than, say, a PS3 controller does. One of the control decisions we've taken there is to use the dpad exclusively to manipulate the manual cursor, and NOT for a four-item quick select like on the other consoles.

We don't want to force you to use the stylus to mine and build all the time, and the dpad control for the cursor feels so right now it's in.

What I want to know is: how much will you, as hardcore players, miss the quick select? Bear in mind that 3DS also has ten inventory items that can be directly selected on the bottom screen - does that mitigate this? I think for new players they will take to this like a duck to water because they are not used to it being any other way, but is this a deal breaker for the hardcore guys? How much do you care?
I never actually used it :p So it wouldn't be that bad to me.

I used quick select a fair bit and it seems like it would work well on the 3ds due to the button layout, but if you must absolutely get rid of it then it probably wouldn't kill anyone. Maybe allow an option in the settings?

Also, I have another question. I understand that you want to put the game across both 3ds and N3ds platforms to capture the biggest audience and I agree with your decision, but will you be utilizing the slightly better hardware in the n3ds? Will it have any noticeable improvements such as world size or will it mainly cover frame rate and stability?

I used quick select a fair bit and it seems like it would work well on the 3ds due to the button layout, but if you must absolutely get rid of it then it probably wouldn't kill anyone. Maybe allow an option in the settings?

Also, I have another question. I understand that you want to put the game across both 3ds and N3ds platforms to capture the biggest audience and I agree with your decision, but will you be utilizing the slightly better hardware in the n3ds? Will it have any noticeable improvements such as world size or will it mainly cover frame rate and stability?

We want the game to be the same on all 3DSs, so different world sizes on New 3DS is off the table for now. The more you diverge 3DS from New 3DS, the more difficult it gets to explain to players the difference between the two. We don't want a situation where multiplayer becomes incompatible for a 3DS and New 3DS player.

Stability will be the same for both versions. The community would quite rightly go berserk if we shipped a game that glitched on one platform and not the other. The framerate one I would need to check on. We know where we need to be at on 3DS, which is 30fps. Could New 3DS go higher and would there be any gameplay benefit in doing so? That I'm not sure about. I'll update on that further down the line when we're optimised enough to make a useful comparison. My hope is that it'll make no difference because it won't have to.

So, from what I'm gathering, the Circle Pad will move both your player and the aiming cursor at the same time, while the D-Pad would move just the cursor? That sounds like it'd be perfect to me.

And as for quick select, that's really something that's just kinda nice, but not totally needed.

While we're on the subject, how do you guys find the ZL and ZR buttons? They feel a bit odd to me, like a single button split into two, rather than two distinct inputs like on a PlayStation pad. Are you finding you you can hit R and not accidentally ZR reliably?
They are a bit odd. However after owning the new 3ds and putting over 400 hours of gameplay on just Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, and more hours in other games.. I tell you this much from experience. I don't ever have issues pressing one of the Z buttons when pressing the L/R buttons. On the opposite end, its rare but I do occasionally hit L/R when trying to hit the Z button. If your plan is to have shortcuts to menus for the Z buttons, That's great. If you told us we had to swing our sword with a Z button, then there would be a problem because its hard using the Z buttons during a lot of action. But I am definitely used to the Z buttons on the new 3ds and have no problems using them. Maybe add options for what function they can be, like ZR could be a healing potion button or something if you don't want it to be a quick menu. Like say you have 5 optional functions, and in options you can set which function you want on which Z button.

I think I would miss the quick select. Even if there is items to select via touch. Depending on how gameplay is going to be like, It might be a lot easier during a boss fight to swap with the d pad, or just when generally playing. Just having physical quick select would be really handy I believe. Expanding on what I said above, people with new 3ds's could have the option to have ZL function as a toggle between curser and quick select mode on the dpad. I know what I say complicates things a lot, But hopefully its not too bad if you can just have a default standard and switching functions of some buttons buried in options or something. I really appreciate adding the cursor to the dpad so we dont have to use the touch screen for everything. But then you say we gotta use the touchscreen for selecting the item your using exclusively then. Not idea either way. But I would be fine with dpad being cursor by default, and being able to change it in settings. and have a toggle button option for the new 3ds users. You get what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom