Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both 3DS - new and old.

I think the point they are making is that they want to be inclusive. Not everyone has a new 3DS. By designing solely for those specs, you then shut out the rest of the users - or you have to double your dev budget to essentially design and build it out twice.

Same thing, really, if you want to look at Xbox/Sony I would imagine. A PS3/360 is pretty ancient at this point - yet a ton of people still play them.

I'm looking forward to playing this with my niece. She hasn't gotten into Terraria because she is too scared to try it alone for long (though she watches me play it), maybe now she won't be as nervous.

Also, I'm wondering exactly how weapon aiming works on 3DS? I'm guessing something similar to Kid Icarus Uprising, with the touch screen?

Why won't classic controllers be supported on Wii U? My friends who have played console Terraria would adapt more comfortably to classic controllers; even though I have 3 nunchucks and Wii remotes, I have a hard time imagining us playing Terraria "hardcore" with nunchucks. Are you guys unable to create a working control scheme for CCs? Wii U Pro controllers aren't really an option—they're expensive in the US as well. Also, is the GameCube controller adapter an option? If it isn't, can you explain why?

P.S. Thanks for bringing Terraria to Wii U and 3DS!

Does anyone know if the 3DS/Wii U version will get world size options? How many worlds do we get?
My best guess: WiiU will likely have world size options similar to other consoles :) 3DS will probably not since Mobile doesn't and it's being developed by Code Glue as well.

Why won't classic controllers be supported on Wii U? My friends who have played console Terraria would adapt more comfortably to classic controllers; even though I have 3 nunchucks and Wii remotes, I have a hard time imagining us playing Terraria "hardcore" with nunchucks. Are you guys unable to create a working control scheme for CCs? Wii U Pro controllers aren't really an option—they're expensive in the US as well. Also, is the GameCube controller adapter an option? If it isn't, can you explain why?

P.S. Thanks for bringing Terraria to Wii U and 3DS!

Supporting new controllers isn't as simple as just plugging them in. For every new one, it's new UI to explain what it does, working out what works, another load of QA to make sure it works all the time and in all circumstances - the resources we have aren't infinite, and if we're spending time trying to support every controller under the sun then we are diverting time away from features where we get more bang for our buck.

Fully appreciate your concerns at not being able to 'hardcore' Terraria with a Wii Remote. We've done our best to make it all work, but in my opinion the better experience is with a the GamePad and Pro Controller - devices that Wii U games are designed to be played with.

We decided to support Wii Remotes to open up splitscreen, but not as the first choice for a hardcore player.

Maybe post launch support for other controllers will be considered. Let's have you all play it, and we'll decide how to the prioritise the 'nice to have' features like this once you can consider the whole picture.

Does anyone know if the 3DS/Wii U version will get world size options? How many worlds do we get?

As Nike Leon suggested, 3DS is a fixed world size and Wii U has the three size options from the console versions. That's part of the reason we can't support crossplay between the versions. Bear in mind the 3DS has a lot less RAM than a TV console, and the entirety of the world and all the content needs to be stored in RAM all the time.

That last point is the reason why I can't yet give you a firm answer on how much content we'll have in for launch. There's been a misunderstanding that we'll at least have everything up to 1.2.4: we started with 1.1, got everything up to 1.2, and now memory is getting tight. We're having to make decisions now on how to optimise to give you more still, and we're making good progress. Re-Logic asked us to add in some 1.3 UI that made the game easier to play, but that doesn't mean we're 1.2.4 complete.

When we're nearer to release, Ill be able to give you the final word on what we have.

Supporting new controllers isn't as simple as just plugging them in. For every new one, it's new UI to explain what it does, working out what works, another load of QA to make sure it works all the time and in all circumstances - the resources we have aren't infinite, and if we're spending time trying to support every controller under the sun then we are diverting time away from features where we get more bang for our buck.

Fully appreciate your concerns at not being able to 'hardcore' Terraria with a Wii Remote. We've done our best to make it all work, but in my opinion the better experience is with a the GamePad and Pro Controller - devices that Wii U games are designed to be played with.

We decided to support Wii Remotes to open up splitscreen, but not as the first choice for a hardcore player.

Maybe post launch support for other controllers will be considered. Let's have you all play it, and we'll decide how to the prioritise the 'nice to have' features like this once you can consider the whole picture.
Okay, I think I understand. Thanks for replying to my question!

Hey Deanzor, will we be getting exclusive bosses/weapons?
Also, will Ocram return, and all of the consol exclusive items?

Also guys, keep this in mind:

He said they had trouble fitting all the content onto the 3DS version but don't worry. As I understand it, while cartridges have limited space, updates are not stored on the cartridge, they're stored on the SD card. Which means, the game might be released with a little missing content, but anything that couldn't fit on the cartridge will easily(and probably pretty quickly) be rectified by updates, which you can get as long as you have sufficient extra space.

Am I correct, Deanzor?

Also guys, keep this in mind:

He said they had trouble fitting all the content onto the 3DS version but don't worry. As I understand it, while cartridges have limited space, updates are not stored on the cartridge, they're stored on the SD card. Which means, the game might be released with a little missing content, but anything that couldn't fit on the cartridge will easily(and probably pretty quickly) be rectified by updates, which you can get as long as you have sufficient extra space.

Am I correct, Deanzor?

Not entirely, no. The issue isn't space on the cart. You can get carts up into the gigabytes, and we can order as big a cart as we need. But the game needs to be loaded from the game cart into the system memory to run. So while, yes, we can have you stick the DL content on the SD card, it's all got to fit into memory when you run it.

Consider that Terraria isn't a game with levels that begin and end and can be loaded one after another. Terraria is open world, so you need all of it all of the time.

The single world size on 3ds can't be as big as the largest world on PC as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom