Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pointing out that New 3DS has twice the RAM so the game could be twice as good is a massive oversimplification. You are comparing a 3DS version that you've not played yet but have decided isn't good enough with a New 3DS version that you've also not played but are imagining to be amazing.

The definitive version of Terraria already exists on PC. That version will always get the new content first, unrestricted by any technical ceiling. As we get closer to launch, the full content of the 3DS version will be laid bare. All the hardcore Terrarians on these boards will then be able to decide if the convenience of a 3DS version and the new interface is worth the inevitable compromises that come with bringing a PC game to a (relatively) low powered portable device. I can see the 3DS version becoming my 'go to' version, but I wouldn't presume the same is true for everyone.

If this version is not right for you, then fair enough. You are presumably well catered for in the multiple other versions that exist out there. But there are people out there that will come to this great game fresh via 3DS and will love it. There are hardcore Terrarians that will embrace 3DS as a 'companion' product to the PC version. There are people that will think 'I'll stick with what I have already', and all are perfectly valid viewpoints.

I welcome all feedback on here, but please understand that I don't want to spend a lot more time justifying the 3DS version not being a New 3DS exclusive.

I didn't say the game isn't/won't be good enough. I'm saying it could be better on New 3DS. I don't even want it to be exclusive to New 3DS, but could you not make good use of the newer hardware? (other than the extra buttons)

You stated that the RAM was a factor as to why the game has world size limitations, so naturally one would suggest using the better hardware. You won't do that because it limits your potential sales, not because you want the game to be 'more accessible'. If you wanted accessibility then it would have an Online mode like the Wii U version.

I know you're not likely the guy to make any of these decisions anyway, and I'm sorry to be awkward. I just felt like voicing my concerns... Believe it or not I'm still mega hyped about this version, no matter how gimped it may be. It's just a lot harder to convince my friends to buy the game with no Online mode.

So I'm assuming you can't answer my question on the size of the worlds? (That they're smaller than Small)
I've got some other questions if you don't mind? No worries if you can't answer any.
Can you have your inventory open and move your character at the same time? (Like the PC version and unlike the console versions.)
Will the game support StreetPass in any way?
Will the game launch in all territories at the same time?

Streetpass would be so cool.
What if you have an item you will swap with annother player's streetpass item whenever you streetpass.

Streetpass would be so cool.
What if you have an item you will swap with annother player's streetpass item whenever you streetpass.
You realize that would end up like the wonder trade in the newer Pokemon games...9/10 times it'll be total junk, like dirt blocks. Maybe trading an item will guarantee an item of the same tier?

Will the 3DS version have it's own special art thing on the 3DS, like my M&L Dream Team edition, and will there be one of those bundles where you a get Wii U and Terraria?

I'm also wondering, even though it's not gonna be 1.3 yet, do you think we'll be getting 1.3's dye change? I don't mean all the new Strange Plant dyes, but like, they changed dyes to have brighter, bolder colors, and I'm wondering if we'll be having that, since it's just an aesthetic change?

when you kill moon lord
mlg froge.gif

And another aesthetic 1.3 change(1.3.0.6 in specific) that would be nice is the Moon Charm giving its visuals when put in the vanity slot. That's something I liked a lot and would like to see.

Personally, I think if any 1.3 things are implemented, it should mostly be aesthetic things like that, and the dye, as I mentioned earlier, as well as balancing changes. Because at least for me, it's things like that which I feel make it feel more like it's up to date even though it doesn't have all the content, if that makes sense.

What will be the major differences between 3DS and New 3DS controls? i'm guessing it will be easier to play on the New 3DS with not only more buttons and an additional C-Stick, but the bigger screen as well.

This is great, who knows, this might actually save the Wii U. I always like getting Terraria on different consoles to really widen my experience

Here are some gameplay videos taken during Gamescon 2015 featuring Terraria on the 3DS. Looks pretty good! The dual screen presents an interesting view.

Character and World Creation and gameplay after that.

Shows the Tutorial (have patience when you are watching :D) and gameplay after that.

With reference to the above, the bottom screen UI was clearly functional in the GamesCom build, but it's not *final*. We're working on something of an overhaul there at the request of Mr Spinks, so don't get too attached to anything you see down there ;)
Good to know. I'm sure whatever iteration Terraria on 3DS is when it is final and officially released will be great. In the meantime it's fun to see the progress.

What will be the major differences between 3DS and New 3DS controls? i'm guessing it will be easier to play on the New 3DS with not only more buttons and an additional C-Stick, but the bigger screen as well.

We're currently planning to use the extra buttons for non-essential functions. C-Stick will allow you to 'camera peek' a bit, and the extra shoulder buttons will shortcut straight to certain screens, like the Crafting interface.

While we're on the subject, how do you guys find the ZL and ZR buttons? They feel a bit odd to me, like a single button split into two, rather than two distinct inputs like on a PlayStation pad. Are you finding you you can hit R and not accidentally ZR reliably?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom