Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! Can have themed houses!

Another question: Will the guide have a crafting section next to the tips he gives your character?

And another... Will NPC's when they want to move in say, "So and so wants to settle down".

Also, hmm. Is there gonna be a demo on the eShop? Like, maybe just the tutorial or something? That would be kinda nice for people who are wanting to try the game but on the fence about buying it.

I have a question for you guys now:

As I'm sure you're aware, the original 3DS has a fewer buttons available than, say, a PS3 controller does. One of the control decisions we've taken there is to use the dpad exclusively to manipulate the manual cursor, and NOT for a four-item quick select like on the other consoles.

We don't want to force you to use the stylus to mine and build all the time, and the dpad control for the cursor feels so right now it's in.

What I want to know is: how much will you, as hardcore players, miss the quick select? Bear in mind that 3DS also has ten inventory items that can be directly selected on the bottom screen - does that mitigate this? I think for new players they will take to this like a duck to water because they are not used to it being any other way, but is this a deal breaker for the hardcore guys? How much do you care?

To answer some of your questions:

No, there are no issues pressing the shoulder buttons on New 3DS. Pressing one does not result in an accidental button press.

Yes, we would miss the D-Pad quick select. It would be impossible to fight bosses without a quick heal buff. Imagine: scrolling till you get to the right weapon in the middle of a fight - you'd be dead!
Can't you just use the C-Stick for precision mining and the D-Pad for quick select? You should give New 3DS owners the option for traditional console controls (of course with some adjustments to make up for no R3 mouse button, but couldn't you just use one of the extra shoulder buttons to cycle to 'mouse mode'?)

To summarise:

It would suck if we had no quick select options for the D-Pad,
It will suck if we are forced to use the touch screen to dig
It will suck if we are forced to use the touch screen to 'quick select'. In the middle of a tense battle you want your eyes on the fight, not the bottom screen!

Also, will you be releasing a demo? Please? (If not for the 360 demo, I'd never have found Terraria)

Edit: Thought of something else to say:

Couldn't there be a 'For 3DS' mode and a 'For New 3DS' mode in multiplayer?

So you are in a party, if you all have New 3DS the 'New 3DS multiplayer' option is available, but if there's an old 3DS in the mix, only the 'multiplayer for 3DS' option is available?

Last edited:
I feel like Terraria will work really well on the Wii U, given the structure and general "feel" of the GamePad controller. A fairly large touchscreen combined with a more traditional game controller seems like it would suit a game like Terraria perfectly, and already being an owner of the Wii U I'd be willing to buy this version of the game for the ability to use that control setup alone.

When's the next 3DS/Wii U spoiler coming out? I am dying to see screenshots... 505 tends to have some secrets in their screenshots...

Yes! Can have themed houses!

Another question: Will the guide have a crafting section next to the tips he gives your character?

And another... Will NPC's when they want to move in say, "So and so wants to settle down".

Not sure I understand your first question exactly. Guide hints appear on the bottom screen. They are not integrated into the Crafting interface. Yes to the second part.

Also, hmm. Is there gonna be a demo on the eShop? Like, maybe just the tutorial or something? That would be kinda nice for people who are wanting to try the game but on the fence about buying it.

No demo planned, no.

I'm not sure the Tutorial immediately conveys the excitement and potential of the game in the way you'd want a demo to do. It leads you gently through the basic controls and principles well, but I think to repurpose it as a demo would be a mistake.

So we'll likely just have some exciting videos for launch.

Not sure I understand your first question exactly. Guide hints appear on the bottom screen. They are not integrated into the Crafting interface. Yes to the second part.

I am assuming he means this:

Crafting 1.PNG

Crafting 2.PNG

I think Thor was asking if we will be able to give the Guide a material (example: glass) and the Guide shows us a list of everything that can be crafted with glass. The Crafting menu from the Guide is a great timesaver in the PC and Console (Xbox, PS) versions so that we don't have to go to the wiki to figure out what can be made from a certain item, but the Mobile version does not have it.

On all versions (PC, Console and Mobile) the Guide does provide hints about what to do next. But it's the Crafting Menu option from the Guide that is really useful.

Edited: Aw man, ninja'd by Loki.

To answer some of your questions:

No, there are no issues pressing the shoulder buttons on New 3DS. Pressing one does not result in an accidental button press.

Yes, we would miss the D-Pad quick select. It would be impossible to fight bosses without a quick heal buff. Imagine: scrolling till you get to the right weapon in the middle of a fight - you'd be dead!
Can't you just use the C-Stick for precision mining and the D-Pad for quick select? You should give New 3DS owners the option for traditional console controls (of course with some adjustments to make up for no R3 mouse button, but couldn't you just use one of the extra shoulder buttons to cycle to 'mouse mode'?)

To summarise:

It would suck if we had no quick select options for the D-Pad,
It will suck if we are forced to use the touch screen to dig
It will suck if we are forced to use the touch screen to 'quick select'. In the middle of a tense battle you want your eyes on the fight, not the bottom screen!

Also, will you be releasing a demo? Please? (If not for the 360 demo, I'd never have found Terraria)

Edit: Thought of something else to say:

Couldn't there be a 'For 3DS' mode and a 'For New 3DS' mode in multiplayer?

So you are in a party, if you all have New 3DS the 'New 3DS multiplayer' option is available, but if there's an old 3DS in the mix, only the 'multiplayer for 3DS' option is available?

The C-Stick isn't precise enough. If you were just pointing in a single direction, maybe, but you want analogue increments in every direction and the C-Stick won't work for that.

I take on board your thoughts, but there might be another way to give you the quick buff you want. You understand it working one way on console, the challenge is for us to find a solution as robust as that on 3DS.

We're not going to diverge the original and New 3DS versions in the way you suggest, it's not the Nintendo way to have hard-to-explain hardware incompatibilities like that.

Any idea when the game will be shown off next? Is it scheduled to appear at any conference or show? Would be awesome to have some direct feed footage!

Alright, that makes sense about the demo. But yeah, I am curious about Miiverse support, will the Miiverse community support screenshots for both Wii U and 3DS?

I have a question how does the aim work in the regular 3ds and the 2ds and will there be a demo before/after it come out?

I have a question how does the aim work in the regular 3ds and the 2ds and will there be a demo before/after it come out?

Aiming: will be able to share more soon, we're currently implementing a new version.

Demo: not for launch, no

Miiverse pictures: Again not for launch, but the beauty of an evolving product like Terraria is that we can react to platform-specific stuff like this once we're live should the demand be out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom