Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The interface has changed again since the EGX build. Let's see if anything comes out of EGX this weekend, and if not I'll give you a sneak preview somehow.
It got changed again? Interesting. I'm personally hoping we get to see both that and the EGX build. As I've said before, I personally find it fun to watch games go through changes.

TAKE NOTE: This is the Wii U version, not the 3DS version. Still relevant, but obviously not the version that seems to currently be on the thread's collective mind. Nevertheless, I felt it would be fitting to post FGTV's Wii U Terraria gameplay from EGX.

Terraria Wii U - 8 Minutes Game-Play

Two things to note:

1. The person playing in this gameplay footage decided to place and break blocks exclusively using Precision Mode via the right-stick and touch screen. Unless I am mistaken, the Wii U version should still possess right-stick aim assistance, just as all of the other console versions do. I can assert this on two bases. This quote:
Deanzor said:
Wii U is with Engine, and uses the second screen and touch controls to build on what was already a very solid base in the console versions.
And the common sense to know that 505 Games and Engine wouldn't take out an essentially necessary feature without a very good reason.

2. I feel like there's bound to be at least a few people who will mistakenly think, from what is audible in the video, that the overworld's music has been reduced back to 1 track, such as pre-1.2. Do note, however, that there are no sound effects playing at all, and the music track playing loops improperly, indicating that FGTV lacked Direct Sound for this gameplay footage and merely overlayed the track onto the video in editing. Hopefully everyone will have already realized this, but...eh, better safe than sorry, right?

Last edited:
If I may make a suggestion, I was contemplating character movement whilst using the touch screen for the 3DS and Wii U versions. Assuming the player is right-handed, then in terms of movement the player can walk around using the Circle Pad or Left Stick, respectively, while using the touch screen. This leaves the player unable to conveniently jump while using touch screen Precision Mode, requiring the right hand return to the face buttons when attempting to jump.

Perhaps the implementation would require more work than what the outcome would actually be worth (that is, marginal convenience), but has the possibility of tapping one's player as a way to jump while using the touch screen Precision Mode been considered? In this way, the player would be able to more easily and conveniently move and jump during precision building and destruction, which I feel covers what would appear to be the most likely movement a player would perform whilst using the feature.

Once again, it's an implementation which would only provide a small amount of extra convenience, yet I still feel that it is an idea worth mentioning.

I had thought of that too, maybe when in precision mode you should be able to move the circle-pad up to jump. I didn't like that in the mobile version, but it may be ideal in this situation.

Last edited:
I had thought of that too, maybe when in precision mode you should be able to move the circle-pad up to jump. I didn't like that in the mobile version, but it may be ideal in this situation.

This mode wasn't really conceived as something we expect you to have open all the time. There's no point having the top and bottom screen showing you the same thing. It's too late now for us to introduce the functionality you suggest, but the dialogue is open post launch if you still think you need it.

Oh okay then. I was thinking that people would use precision mode in combat but if it's designed more for building then I guess we'll have to get used to the 3DS's smart aiming.

Truly Terraria is one of if not the best videogames ever. The open-world sandbox, the immense character RPG type custimization, the many awesome NPCs, the combat, ohhhmygod I just got myself pumped to play the Nintendo versions again! :D Applied at two jobs and hoping to buy that New 3DS XL Hyrule Edition and pre-load Terraria as soon as it 's available!
Oh right, any word of exclusive Nintendo items or reskins yet? Green Hero Clothes? Mario-esque plumbers outfit? I need news! And gameplay. Please record us some gameplay, even if the quality is crappy. :0 I'm anxious.

Hahaha. Well, it actually had a 3D animated youtube series. It was really good at first, but then one of the voice actors died and a new animation studio was used and it went downhill from there. It was used to promote the new line of Jazwares Terrraria toys.

Hahaha. Well, it actually had a 3D animated youtube series. It was really good at first, but then one of the voice actors died and a new animation studio was used and it went downhill from there. It was used to promote the new line of Jazwares Terrraria toys.
woah
I kinda wanna see that

And I just bought a Wii U game for at least 70 dollars... :(

I guess I'll wait.

*Places some coal in the hype train*

I forgot this runs on hype...

OH MY GOSH WII U AND 3DS WILL BE TAKEN OVER AND I DON'T HAVE MONEY :(

I'm just going to leave this here

bm1.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.