Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would appear that with Terraria's brief appearance in yesterday's Nintendo Direct, Nintendo of America's website has finally listed the game on its website (as opposed to Nintendo of Europe, who listed it after the official announcement back in the summer). Of course, there are a few errors apparent.

The 3DS version shares the player count statistics (8 players) and developer information (Engine Software) as the Wii U version, which are both incorrect for its portable counterpart. In addition, both pages use a (new) trailer of the 3DS version, which is absolutely silent for some reason, at least on my end. If anyone else could confirm this, I'd appreciate it.

On a more positive note, while I don't have time to look at the trailer more indepth, you'll see that both fishing and minecarts are shown off. I'll check for additional content of interest later.

EDIT: Replaced NoA/NoE acronyms with their full names to increase accessibility.

Last edited:
It would appear that with Terraria's brief appearance in yesterday's Nintendo Direct, NoA's website has finally listed the game on its website (as opposed to NoE, who listed it after the official announcement back in the summer). Of course, there are a few errors apparent.

The 3DS version shares the player count statistics (8 players) and developer information (Engine Software) as the Wii U version, which are both incorrect for its portable counterpart. In addition, both pages use a (new) trailer of the 3DS version, which is absolutely silent for some reason, at least on my end. If anyone else could confirm this, I'd appreciate it.

On a more positive note, while I don't have time to look at the trailer more indepth, you'll see that both fishing and minecarts are shown off. I'll check for additional content of interest later.
Whats NoE/NoA?

I think a demo is in order. :D
Come on 505 just give us a 300x300 mini world to play with.

A demo would be amazing, although they've stated they don't want to do one... because 'what can a demo show you?', or 'a demo doesn't give you the right idea of what Terraria is about' ... or something like that. (Let's just ignore the demos on Xbox)

a 300x300 world... probably isn't too different from the actual world sizes in the 3DS version.

A demo would be amazing, although they've stated they don't want to do one... because 'what can a demo show you?', or 'a demo doesn't give you the right idea of what Terraria is about' ... or something like that. (Let's just ignore the demos on Xbox)

a 300x300 world... probably isn't too different from the actual world sizes in the 3DS version.
I knew they said they probably wouldn't. More of a joke I guess. But you really think 300x300 is the world size of the 3DS version? They said it would at least be as big as the mobile version and that was way bigger than 300x300 blocks.

I knew they said they probably wouldn't. More of a joke I guess. But you really think 300x300 is the world size of the 3DS version? They said it would at least be as big as the mobile version and that was way bigger than 300x300 blocks.
300x300 would be tiny. Have you ever made a skybridge or something similar, and noticed how a full stack of 999 blocks doesn't go as far as it seems like it should? And 300 is just a fraction of that! A world that was only 300 blocks wide and tall would be completely miniscule.

300x300 would be tiny. Have you ever made a skybridge or something similar, and noticed how a full stack of 999 blocks doesn't go as far as it seems like it should? And 300 is just a fraction of that! A world that was only 300 blocks wide and tall would be completely miniscule.
I've been monitoring this thread closely, and it's quite clear that Moon has been quite...critical...of the 3DS port, and the way 505 is handling it, since its announcement. It doesn't entirely surprise me that official word from Deanzor has been discarded in order to make a dramatically negative assumption.
We're aiming to have them at least the same size as on mobile.
Which, according to the Official Terraria Wiki, while most of the measurements of mobile worlds are mysteriously unknown, horizontal length of a mobile world is 1743 blocks. Horizontal length of small worlds on PC and consoles with world selection options is 4117 blocks. A bit of division later, and you find that mobile horizontal world length is approximately 42.3% of the horizontal world length of a small world on other platforms.

The quality of this size is subjective, and I personally find it reasonable considering I never reached the outer borders of any small world I made on PC anyway, thus I never had a purpose for the full length. Of course, as subjective things are, opinions will vary wildly between people and I expect the majority will be dissatisfied with this size. That said, do bear in mind that Deanzor said that they aim to make 3DS worlds "at least the same size as on mobile," meaning it may possibly be larger. That is mere possibility, of course, and it's also possible that this "aim" may fail and they end up smaller. Either way, the answer is currently unknown.

Only take official information as fact and work from there. Base your arguments off of logical processes (such as mathematics or deduction (for those who aren't aware, a deductive argument is only valid if its conclusion must absolutely be true given the premises provided, with no chance for it not being true, otherwise it's inductive)). Cite your sources and scrutinize speculation that lacks evidence to back it up (especially when it contradicts existing evidence).

Last edited:
And personally I'd be fine with them being Mobile size, considering one time I even posted a suggestion for the PC version to get a smaller world choice.

Nintendo of Europe/Nintendo of America, respectively. I suppose the acronyms are a bit vague to someone who may not follow Nintendo as closely as I do, and thus I'll edit the post to make it more accessible.
Well in fact I do. I follow it daily. But Down Under we do not call it NoA, and I'm sure that's not even an official acronym.
Moon has been quite...critical...of the 3DS port, and the way 505 is handling it, since its announcement. It doesn't entirely surprise me that official word from Deanzor has been discarded in order to make a dramatically negative assumption.

I doubt that's the reason. Either than the fact that it's coming what is there to confirm about Terraria on the 3DS/Wii U? Just saying. But I agree that there hasn't been much news... A little more timber on the hype bonfire would be great.

I've been monitoring this thread closely, and it's quite clear that Moon has been quite...critical...of the 3DS port, and the way 505 is handling it, since its announcement. It doesn't entirely surprise me that official word from Deanzor has been discarded in order to make a dramatically negative assumption..

When did I discard Deanzor's word? I've only exposed his true meanings :p

For what it's worth, I think the 3DS version looks great. I like that they're trying to find a control scheme catered to the device. I'm surprised more people aren't a bit skeptical about it though, considering.

So far what we know about the 3DS version is this:

The game will not be up to date (even though it's YEARS late!)
The game will have tiny worlds - (same size as mobile if we're lucky, cited RAM as excuse)
The game has no online multiplayer
The game could have 2x as much RAM to work with if they used the New 3DS hardware - but they will not do that because they want the maximum amount of profits.

To top it all off, here's a quote from Andrew Spinks, taken from an article on NintendoEverything about 2 years ago.
“the [3DS] system unfortunately cannot run Terraria the way it needs to be ran.”

So, erm. Perhaps it is YOU discarding the official word! lol

I think you'd do yourself and the community better if you were to challenge this sort of behavior. It seems as though you're blindly accepting of anything the representative says.

By the looks of it, it's around 1.2, which was released 2 years ago. How is that 'YEARS' late?

It's about 1.2, which was 2 years ago. That's how it's years late?

All I meant was the game is many years old. You'd expect a game releasing much later to have all the bells and whisles of previously released versions, right?
It would be nice, especially considering its late arrival that if when it landed the 3DS version would at least have all the things in you'd expect it to have.

Like a 3D feature, dyes, world sizes and mainly an online mode.

Just for context....the current 1.3 PC build requires 2.5gb and recommends 4gb of RAM. I think it is pretty amazing that the team was able to pull off what they did, personally.

Working with New 3DS only would carve out a large number of people whom could otherwise enjoy the game. Re-Logic's position has always been to try to be as inclusive as possible. Take the Linux/Mac ports - those hit a pretty small audience (relatively speaking), but they were absolutely worthwhile so that more people could play a game that we think is pretty darned awesome. To give you some context - according to wiki info, New 3DS accounts for <10% of the entire 3DS userbase.

Let's just say that the 3DS has "substantially less" than either of those. Larger world sizes and the like only put more strain on that. More strain = more issues, more crashes, etc. A better approach is to get as much as you can reasonably fit in while maintaining a stable - and solid - core game (because let's not act like Terraria circa 1.2.X isn't a fantastic game) and then utilize post-launch updates to put more in until you take the system as far as it can reasonably go.

What Redigit said 2 years ago was accurate at the time - but it is clearly not the case now - a way was found that was not considered feasible back then. #Technology. ;)

Maybe some consideration to a "larger worlds on New 3DS" could occur in a future update - if that is something that Nintendo's systems allow for (split-up updates by device). Do keep in mind that we are still only talking about 256mb of RAM on even the New 3DS.

All of that to say: it should be a nice and full game at launch. One that should become more robust over time with post-launch updates. Of course it won't feel that way fully to someone coming off of 1.3 play...and that's unfortunate, but necessary.

I've been monitoring this thread closely, and it's quite clear that Moon has been quite...critical...of the 3DS port, and the way 505 is handling it, since its announcement. It doesn't entirely surprise me that official word from Deanzor has been discarded in order to make a dramatically negative assumption.

Which, according to the Official Terraria Wiki, while most of the measurements of mobile worlds are mysteriously unknown, horizontal length of a mobile world is 1743 blocks. Horizontal length of small worlds on PC and consoles with world selection options is 4117 blocks. A bit of division later, and you find that mobile horizontal world length is approximately 42.3% of the horizontal world length of a small world on other platforms.

The quality of this size is subjective, and I personally find it reasonable considering I never reached the outer borders of any small world I made on PC anyway, thus I never had a purpose for the full length. Of course, as subjective things are, opinions will vary wildly between people and I expect the majority will be dissatisfied with this size. That said, do bear in mind that Deanzor said that they aim to make 3DS worlds "at least the same size as on mobile," meaning it may possibly be larger. That is mere possibility, of course, and it's also possible that this "aim" may fail and they end up smaller. Either way, the answer is currently unknown.

Only take official information as fact and work from there. Base your arguments off of logical processes (such as mathematics or deduction (for those who aren't aware, a deductive argument is only valid if its conclusion must absolutely be true given the premises provided, with no chance for it not being true, otherwise it's inductive)). Cite your sources and scrutinize speculation that lacks evidence to back it up (especially when it contradicts existing evidence).

Hello again.

I can confirm that the world size on 3DS is 1750x900. That size is in world tiles and not pixels, incidentally.

Spectra, I thank your for your positivity. I don't understand certain peoples' tendency to spiral down into conspiracy and negativity.

I appreciate your responses. Thank you. I honestly don't want to be negative or awkward, I just want what's best for the game and the community.

Let's face it, though - what Redigit said 2 years ago (that this game would not run like it needs to on 3DS) is still 100% accurate. You've had to cut out huge chunks of the game to get it running on 3DS.

This, I can deal with, so long as the price reflects that. If it's so similar to the mobile version, maybe price it around the same price. (£3.99)

By the sounds of things you've already maxed out what you can from the 3DS. So I'm not expecting any significant updates post launch.

@Deanzor , thanks for confirming the world size. So I was right, they are smaller than 'small' on desktop version. Is there enough room for all the biomes? Is 1750x900 the same or smaller/bigger than Mobile?

Oh, and, no need to insinuate. It's not like I'm bashing the game - it is my love of Terraria [and 3DS] that makes this news so disappointing. You should maybe give us some good news about the game, because most of the 'news' so far, is about what the game has had taken out of it.

Devil's advocate, though....2 years ago was right at the 1.2 launch. Everything I've heard from @Deanzor would suggest that it is AT LEAST that much content-wise. He can correct me if I am wrong. I mean, I get the point being made vs current versions - but in the end, you can only make a device do what it can do within its technical parameters. :p

World size, of course, being one standing issue.

Pretty sure they are planning on updates as well, but - again, Deanzor can correct me if I am mistaken.

I will say that it would be an interesting exercise to explore - the notion of "can New 3DS receive additional functionality" and will Nintendo's systems even support such.

Anyway, just food for thought - ultimately, we will have to see if the game delivers on expectations when it arrives. :)

I'm sorry if I've played devil's advocate, but just for context, I've been pretty hung up on a 3DS version for years. My hype levels were through the roof when this game was announced. I was naturally confused though considering what Redigit has said about the game not being able to run on the platform. (What's he say about this now? Does he regret saying it? - either way it doesn't matter, I'm just curious, not trying to argue)

It's going to be a bit of a bummer going from 1.3 back to this '1.2' version. Though, I think it'd be more accurate to say this 3DS version is its own beast - it has bits and bobs of each update - but I'm looking forward to seeing what makes the final cut.

I probably did get a bit salty when the extreme limitations of the 3DS were made apparent. To say the RAM is the reason why we're getting such a scaled back version was annoying when you consider the New 3DS could alleviate some of those problems.

In regards to updates for New 3DS... Retro City Rampage is a game for 3DS that had an update for New 3DS players, so hopefully we'll get something.

Keep up the good work guys, looking forward to further updates.

Just gotta point out: I noticed the properlly colored Plumber's Outfit in the Nintendo Direct. You sneaky Devs put that in there just to confirm it. Thanks <3
So I suppose this means we'll also get Green Hero's Clothes as well? I won't hope for Epona or anything, especially seeing as future updates will need huge optimization done anyway. Not to dampen your hopes, but there may be no point in updating it to 1.3 once the NX comes out. I assume you guys over at ReLogic don't know too much about it, and even if you did, I'm not expecting you guys to share or anything. Hopefully it will be coded in a language so you won't need to build an NX version from the ground up again. I'm sure your devs are sick of making the same game repeatedly.

considering the PS Vita has a big framerate/slowdownwhen a lot of things are on screen including dynamic(and yes there are dynamic)lighting fx, entity(player, NPC, blocks, water, lava and rain) this is why the 3DS would have many issues. I'm not sure what framerate the game will run at to begin with. it seems to run at a full 60fps on Vita with a freshly generated world.

3DS version will be gimped but it may just work very well for the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom