Console Dual Threat: Terraria is Coming to Wii U and 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terraria on mobile and console are already amazing games and I've had just as much fun in them as I have on PC. It's not the content that's in it, it's the game. Even though all of the versions have different things and none of them are the same as PC they all still feel like a finished game, where you get to a point where you feel accomplished and you know you did the best possible and don't feel like you're missing any progression. No matter what doesn't make the cut I'm sure it will still have that classis Terraria feel to it.

Also, I just had a thought!
I'm just going to leave this here

View attachment 79965

What you are seeing here is the new UI for 'Building Mode/Precision Mode' (name TBC). Now when you're in this mode, you get your 'best' of each of the five tool types autoselected in the left pane. The right pane shows all of your buildable/placeable items in a scrollable list. This means you've got immediate access to EVERYTHING on one screen, and there's no requirement to swap back to main inventory to select your next item.

The sixth and top slot on the LEFT is a weapon slot. This was added into the game after we produced the EGX demo build, and is the further UI evolution I mentioned before. That slot will be autopopulated with your currently selected weapon when you go into that mode, but tapping on that slot will cycle all your available weapons in that slot in inventory order.

The goal is to give you everything you need to make building as intuitive as possible, but also give you the possibility to switch to a weapon quickly if you need to quickly batter something.

I realise all this is new functionality, but it works really intuitively.

Oh, and the arrows as part of the pane hide and unhide the UI as you require it. These panes don't overlap the buildable area so you may never need that functionality, but some of the devs like it :)
So, looking back on this, I just had the idea that, since this screen auto picks your two hotbars the way you described, it'd be amazing if you added 1.3's favoriting mechanic, and have it so favorited tools and building materials would show up closer to the top of these automatically selected bars! What do you say to that proposal?

So, looking back on this, I just had the idea that, since this screen auto picks your two hotbars the way you described, it'd be amazing if you added 1.3's favoriting mechanic, and have it so favorited tools and building materials would show up closer to the top of these automatically selected bars! What do you say to that proposal?
Ooh, that would be cool! That way you could easily switch materials without potentially scrolling up or down all the way.

At the moment, it auto selects the 'best' tool in each category based on stats, and lists the buildables in the order you have them in your inventory. The weapon slot is populated with whatever you had selected when you went into the screen. So you can get at least some of the way to the functionality you describe with a bit of considered inventory management.

But if the way you suggest feels like it could be valuable once the game is out there, then we're always open to ideas for the updates and we're always listening. That goes for everyone posting in this thread!

Last edited:
some games (3ds) like the future Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors Legends, will be 3D only on new 3ds. and thats a cool feature, i always play in 3d, and all games are better with it. even 2d ones, love shovel knight with 3D.

Yeah I suppose you guys could implement 3D on the New 3DS at least if adding all the 1.3 content is out of the question

At the moment, it auto selects the 'best' tool in each category based on stats, and lists the buildables in the order you have them in your inventory. The weapon slot is populated with whatever you had selected when you went into the screen. So you can get at least some of the way to the functionality you describe with a bit of considered inventory management.

But if the way you suggest feels like it could be valuable once the game is out there, then we're always open to ideas for the updates and we're always listening. That goes for everyone posting in this thread!

Is it possible in a future update you could also add the 1.3 mechanic where you can "favourite" worlds?

If you are giving out download codes would it be possible to get 2/3 so we can try out multiplayer? If not I would love to see a video showing it off.

I understand that you don't want to focus on the new 3ds but would it be possible to have 3d backgrounds on the new 3ds version? I don't think that this would prevent multiplayer between the new and regular 3ds and it would be a cool edition that would make the game that much more awesome. I know it's a bit late to ask now but maybe as a post launch update?

I understand that you don't want to focus on the new 3ds but would it be possible to have 3d backgrounds on the new 3ds version? I don't think that this would prevent multiplayer between the new and regular 3ds and it would be a cool edition that would make the game that much more awesome. I know it's a bit late to ask now but maybe as a post launch update?

Would the game really benefit from this addition? Deanzor explained in Page 28 that it really isn't worth all the rendering of the world to make it 3D. It seriously is just a separation between two layers so the addition isn't extremely significant. Yeah, 3D looks fancy... But is it worth having smaller world for 3D?

Would the game really benefit from this addition? Deanzor explained in Page 28 that it really isn't worth all the rendering of the world to make it 3D. It seriously is just a separation between two layers so the addition isn't extremely significant. Yeah, 3D looks fancy... But is it worth having smaller world for 3D?
I don't think that it would come at the cost of smaller worlds if it was a new nintendo 3ds exclusive feature. I don't know if it's even possible but if it is I would appreciate the feature if it was included. But don't mind me, I'm just one of the small bunch of people who actually use the 3d on the 3ds.

I think it's be a cool aesthetic feature. If the New 3DS version has more power than the original 3DS, I think that it should be used for 3D backgrounds. Hear me out.
It's been said that you could add more content to the New 3DS version, but that would create a divide even bigger than different world sizes.
That's the next idea that was discussed. Having bigger world sizes on New 3DS version is definitely up there, but it might still be too much of a divide between systems.
Adding 3D backgrounds would be a small bonus for the New 3DS version users that the original users wouldn't miss much. It's just like Hyrule Warriors. It's kind of like Monster Hunter 4 (New 3DS version renders better textures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom