Weapons & Equip Dual-typed weapons - certain weapons can be enhanced by multiple damage types

Wyvernil

Terrarian
Even with the new enhancements to thrown weapons, it seems like the thrown weapon style dries up by hardmode - and since many melee weapons gain projectile attacks, it becomes kind of redundant. One possible solution could be to move some of the melee throwing weapons into the throwing class (such as boomerangs and vampire knives), but melee players are likely to pitch a fit since the Vampire Knives are pivotal to so many end game strategies.

So here's an idea: certain weapons are dual-typed, and able to be enhanced by two different damage types. Here's some examples.

- Melee/Thrown

Boomerangs, Vampire Knives, Scourge of the Corruptor, Daybreak, Flying Knife, Shadowflame Knife

- Melee/Magic

Ice Sickle, Death Sickle

- Melee/Ranged

Harpoon

- Magic/Summon

- Crimson Rod, Nimbus Rod, Clinger Staff, Bee Gun, Wasp Gun, Bat Scepter

Magic/Ranged

- Space Gun, Laser Rifle, Heat Ray, Laser Machinegun, Charged Blaster Cannon

Magic/Thrown

- Magic Dagger, Toxic Flask

Ranged/Thrown

- Grenades, Molotovs

Of course, for the sake of balance, the two damage types don't stack - the weapon uses whatever category has the highest buff. Otherwise, I can imagine melee enhancements being combined with throwing enhancements to make the vampire knives even more broken than they already are.

So, is this a good idea? Thoughts? Any other weapons that seem like they need to be dual-type?

Last edited:
Now there's a solution. I had an idea for weapons that benefit from either bonus a while back but I never would have thought of executing it like this. You should feel proud for this.

Its a much better solution than just moving it over and telling melee players to go screw themselves.

Looking good so far, but let me say one thing. Do not let the terra blade or star wrath be melee/magic because that would make already uber powerful weapons into just magic without mana use, and all the crazy benefits magic brings ( life steal, damage orbs, nebula wisps).

Added a few more weapons to the list of dual-type weaponry. Notably, the bee gun, wasp gun, and bat scepter are now magic/summon types, since they seemed to be thematically appropriate. This should give summoners a direct damage option.

Or just remove damage types since they just create an illusion of classes and do not affect enemies differently in any way.
It's far too late to change now, no matter how much people would support it (I support the idea myself) but it could definitely be a thing in Terraria otherworld.

- Melee/Ranged

Harpoon
I don't quite agree with this one, it seems like it would only be ranged. You don't stab with the harpoon after all.

The overall concept is something I agree with however, I'd rather have something like this applied than just switching the crimson/nimbus rods to summoner.

necro post successful

Back
Top Bottom