tModLoader Dual Wielding

Yoraiz0r

Lead Developer
Re-Logic

Dual Wielding!

About

mCheVyw.gif
This mod enables the player to use almost any pair of items simultanously, wildly changing how Terraria is played. From holding a torch up at all times, to using two Last Prisms at the same time, or even using your weapon with your pickaxe, dual wielding offers many new experiences. 'Dual Wielding' (or 'DW' for short) has been a 'pet project' of mine going as far back as early 2012, originally written as a standalone mod, then passed unto tConfig, then tAPI, and now tModLoader;
I hope you'll all have fun with it!
(This mod is multiplayer compatible!)

kdcROYP.png

Features

Use two items at once
DW allows you to hold & use two items at the same time - through an extensive 'memory slot' system. Once you assigned items in your memory slots (tagging them as 'offhand' items), you can use them by right-clicking with your mouse. When your items provide right-click features, they are incompatible with dual wielding, and are simply ignored by the mod. (they still function perfectly fine!) Right-clicking still functions for all original purposes - you will be able to talk to NPCs, interact with tiles and all that without interference - basic functions take priority over using the offhand item.
k1VV3j6.gif

Convenient offhand item management through a 'memory slot' system
With your inventory open, if you look at the hotbar, you'll notice there's a set of item slots positioned behind it - those are your offhand 'memory' slots. Hovering over the top of those slots will put them in the front, letting you assign items in them. These slots do not actually hold items, but rather an image of an item, a memory. Because memory slots don't hold any items, you can assign the same item to multiple ones - setting it as the offhand item across your entire hotbar. Whenever you have a hotbar slot's item selected - your offhand item will be the one best fitting the memory slot with the matching number. For convenience - even if you temporarily lose or change the item, the memory stays.
cABuP3j.gif

Use two types of ammo at once
Whenever you use an item that requires ammo via offhand, it looks for ammo in an upside-down order, allowing you to mix ammo types when dual wielding.
6D9jWUA.gif

Toggleable balance option
The mod comes with a toggleable balance setting - between 'on' and 'off'. (default: on)
This balance setting is per world, and applies to everyone in the world during multiplayer.
This setting does not appear in any option menus, and instead is set via a chat command.
Code:
/dwbalance on
/dwbalance off
Note that the "/dwbalance" command can be used from a server's console, in singleplayer chat, and from host & play chat - only by the host. With the balance setting on, whenever you use a hotbar slot containing 2 weapons that are melee, ranged, or magic, the following effects will occur
  1. Melee weapons will deal a total of 80% of their damage (this does not reduce the item's damage, but rather the actual result on hit!)
  2. Melee weapons will deal a total of 60% of their knockback (like damage, this does not reduce the item's knockback, but rather the actual result on hit!)
  3. The player's melee speed is reduced by 20% of its total (after all accessories and buffs are applied)
  4. Ranged weapons will deal a total of 80% of their damage (like melee weapons)
  5. Ranged weapons will deal a total of 60% of their knockback (like melee weapons)
  6. The player's ranged critical strike chance is reduced by a flat 10% (to a minimum 0%)
  7. Magic weapons will deal a total of 60% of their knockback (like melee & ranged)
  8. The player's magic critical strike chance is reduced by a flat 10% (to a minimum of 0%)
  9. The player's mana regen speed is reduced by roughly 50%
In addition, with the balance setting on, whenever simultanously using any two items, your shield is visibly removed and you lose any immunity to knockback you may have had.

kdcROYP.png

Download

Latest version: v1.0 (tModLoader v0.10.0.1)
The mod can be found on tModLoader's mod browser, here, or at the bottom of this post.

Changelog
  • TCF Release!

Credits

Final Notes

It's been a lot of fun writing this mod in my free time, and I hope everyone who picks it up enjoys using it!
At this point in time, I don't have any plans to improve upon DW any further, or fix specific mod incompatibilities. (it should, however, work with most items perfectly fine)

kdcROYP.png

Attachments

• Dual Wielding v1.0.zip
    34.9 KB · Views: 32,968
Last edited:
For a second I thought this was an old bumped post, given I'd expect Yoraiz0r to have too little time to release this whilst working on 1.3.6. When I saw the OP date...I'm glad I don't scream very loud. Time to see what I can do with this and Calamity...

really awesome guys!
i am hyped to try it out!

EDIT:
really awesome guys!
i am hyped to try it out!
and congrats yorai of course
(i forgot something)

Wow, I had an idea for this about a month ago.
But rather than an entire memory slot system, more of a hold Alt and select your alternate item, releasing it will return you back to the original slot. Switching any weapon normally won't change your alternate weapon unless you hold Alt again. Kind of a bit like Starbound and some other dual wield mods I've seen around in games.

Back
Top Bottom