Duck Duck Dart! (Duck Hunt in Terraria?)

SovereignVis

Terrarian
Hello Terrarians, I see many of you are having fun making things with the new stuff we got in 1.3.1 `:) (We really need smilies for the mechanic so I can use her face when talking about wiring stuff instead of the steampunker.) ':eek:
I see many people working on new adventure maps, and I really want to do the same. But I figured I would try to do something different for now. I have had this idea for a duck hunt like game in Terraria ever since ducks were added too the game. But it wasn't really possible to make a fully automated game until we got all the cool new things in 1.3.1. While some may see it as only a small update, it is an absolute game changer.

So for about the last 3 weeks or so I have been developing this duck hunt like game and trying to make it as small and efficient as possible. I have never really made any big complex wiring builds before, because I never wanted too with wiring devices needing to be so big and clunky before this last update. The only things I have done with wiring were the very basics, On/Off switches, teleporters, traps wired to timers for killing mobs, and that's about it. So this is my first time making a complex wiring device.

Here is a screen shot of me testing the game out.
mF6rCul.jpg

This is the area where the player enters to start the game. You first flip the lever to turn the system on.
PTKSqhQ.png

This turns on the lights inside and also turns on the music player system, but we will get to that later. (Also you should turn off the system before you leave the map. It doesn't break the game if you don't, but it does kind of break the flashing wire bulbs because timers don't stay on when you re-enter a map. DX)

The blue area will have signs telling players the rules and how the game works.
In the white room to the left is where players can get the weapons/gear needed to play. The 3 different colored chest in the white room is for different levels of difficulty. Green = easy, yellow = medium, red = hard.
When you are all geared up enter the red room, stand on the teleporter and flip the lever to start. You will then be given a count down to start. Don't worry about the pressure plates covering the ground in the glass room. It's perfectly safe for players to step on. They are yellow pressure plates just painted green. And yellow pressure plates are set off by "anything but the player". From the top of the glass room ducks spawn randomly in waves and come flying down in a zig zag flight path. They don't like to fly for very long and they don't care if a player is near by. If they are tired of flying they will land. NOW IT'S TIME TO WORRY!':eek: The yellow pressure plates on the ground are wired to the walls of dart traps on the sides of the room. And as stated before, "anything but the player" means that ducks landing on the pressure plates will set them off. So unless the player wants to eat a wall of flying darts, you better turn this room into a no fly zone for ducks quickly and shoot them all down. XD The waves of ducks being spawn is very RNG and will increase as more and more waves come. Just survive until the last wave and you win. `:happy: If the player leaves the room before winning or is killed, (in which case will spawn outside the room) you will see a "game over" message. Wait until you see a "game reset" message and try again.
GJyfcSI.png

(If you are playing on a server with other players. Make sure that only the one playing enters the red room during the game. Other players entering will break the game if they enter while a game is running.)

Update: 6/18/2016

Oh, I forgot to tell you what the gold room was for. The room built with gold bricks is the "Hall of Fame" (or "shame" depending on how good or bad you do.) XD There will be some signs in the golden chest for players to place and put their name, the weapon/gear they used, and what wave they made it to. Place your sign on copper if you played on easy mode, silver if you played on medium, and gold if you played on hard mode. The 1st place score goes in the blue row, 2nd place red row, and 3rd white row.

I know many people might be wondering how this whole thing works, and I said I would explain it. But let's be honest, most people don't want to read a long wall of text explaining it. X(
So I was thinking maybe a video to show off how the map works would be better. Problem is my computer is a piece of crap and can't handle making and editing videos. DX So I was thinking, maybe another Terrarian that has a good understanding of wiring and likes making videos would like to make a video of this map so others in the community can have a better understanding of how it all functions.
There is still a lot of work needed, and I think I might have to give the wave sequence a complete overhaul. So far I have made it go up to 30 waves. I plan on making it 100 waves. But the way it is currently set up it's a slow painful process adding in more waves. So for now I think what I might do is release a kind of demo/BETA version of the map for people to play. And later when I can get a new setup for it and add in all 100 waves we can balance out the weapons and gear for each mode after getting some feedback from some of the BETA testers. `:happy:

Update:6/20/2016

I have uploaded a file for the map. So people can finally try it out.

Update:6/25/2016
See ChippyGaming trying out the 0.1 BETA of this map.

Update:6/27/2016

I was hoping to get this out a little bit earlier, but there are still a few small glitches and bugs with TEdit. The good news is I have finished my new wave sequencer and it's more better, smaller, and way more compacted than the 0.1 version. And now it doesn't go to just 30 waves. It goes to the full 100 waves I had planned. The wave sequence is a little bit different now. Instead of it triggering 6-7 duck statues a set, and every 2 waves it increases a set by 1. It now increases 1 set each wave with the faster waves being spawned later in each wave, and more in the later waves. Each set is now only 3-4 statues triggered. This means it will be a bit easier in the early waves and of course because it now goes to 100 it will be insane in the later waves.
But if that is not enough ducks for you, run to the left of the map and read the red sign in the small dark room above the lever.
`:naughty:

BETA version 0.4 Now Available for Download
Oh yeah, and 1 more thing. If you are planning on trying to go through all 100 waves, it's going to take about 3 hours. `:confused:

Feel free to post comments on what you think of this mini game map and any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• Duck Duck Dart_beta_v0.1.wld
    285.5 KB · Views: 748
  • Duck Duck Dart_beta_v0.2.wld
    216.4 KB · Views: 506
  • Duck Duck Dart_beta_v0.4.wld
    237.1 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
This is a really creative idea. I like it.
Make sure the Dart Traps are low enough to not hit the ducks but high enough so the player can't jump over them.

This is a really creative idea. I like it.
Make sure the Dart Traps are low enough to not hit the ducks but high enough so the player can't jump over them.
Well, the ducks are going to get hit no matter what. But it's actually better that they do get hit. It would suck if the player just got hit by darts over and over again. With the darts clearing out the ducks that are near the ground this prevents the player from just getting ducked over and over by the same set of ducks. I could remove the bottom 2 dart traps and let the ducks just walk around on the pressure plates, but I want the player to have some bit of a fair chance to survive. XD The dart traps can only fire once every 3 secs, so it doesn't matter too much if there is a duck hit by the higher dart traps. It would land within those 3 secs anyways.

Reactions: Azu
That's very awesome! Somewhat cruel, but very awesome nonetheless. :p
LOL, well thanks. XD There are so many people doing adventure maps, we need a few mini game maps. Also there isn't a prefix for this type of map on the forums. It's kind of a survival map, but it's really meant to be more of a mini game/game mode map. A game within a game. I think they need to add a new type of prefix on the forums, for this and future mini game like maps we will see with 1.3.1. `:) Also it's not cruel, it's just a game and no real ducks or people are being killed. XD

I'm just kidding about the cruel part. Heck, I'm creating critter statues by pouring cement over live animals. Terraria is a cruel game. :naughty:

Update:6/18/2016
I forgot to tell you guys what the gold room was for.
And I might be releasing a demo/BETA version of the map soon, so you can try out the first 30 waves. Read the original post for more info.

Update:6/20/2016
Well I think I have all the little bugs worked out. I have made some changes, added some weapons/gear and signs to help players know how to play. A lot of testing is needed to figure out what weapons/gear should be used for easy, medium, and hard mode. But there is now a BETA version of the map for people to play and try it out.
Check the original post for the map file and feel free to leave any questions or suggestions.

If you need help testing, I (theredstonecrafter) cam help :)
Well if we could turn player sensors left, right and down. That would help for 1 idea I have. But for now it really is just about developing systems to do different things to make the games. But when I do post a test version of a map your suggestions after testing the map to help balance the game are always welcome. `:)

Well if we could turn player sensors left, right and down. That would help for 1 idea I have. But for now it really is just about developing systems to do different things to make the games. But when I do post a test version of a map your suggestions after testing the map to help balance the game are always welcome. `:)
yeah sadly player sensors cant do that... but, if it helps, pressure plates can be placed on walls and ceilings now. And I'll be sure to look at the maps and stuff when you post them :)

yeah sadly player sensors cant do that... but, if it helps, pressure plates can be placed on walls and ceilings now. And I'll be sure to look at the maps and stuff when you post them :)

Yeah, I have thought about pressure plates but that also kind of creates a problem for the game I have in mind. Also another problem with player sensors is there is a limit to how many can sense a player and activate things.

Yeah, I have thought about pressure plates but that also kind of creates a problem for the game I have in mind. Also another problem with player sensors is there is a limit to how many can sense a player and activate things.
Well, what is it youre trying to do exactly?

Tried it out, took a look around the map to see what you had to create in order to make this work. Mind blown.
I wonder what the devs would think of this map if they see it. :)

Well, what is it youre trying to do exactly?

That's a secret for now. I don't want to get peoples hopes up on something that can't be done. So until I'm sure I can find a way to make it work. I can't tell you. `;)

Tried it out, took a look around the map to see what you had to create in order to make this work. Mind blown.
I wonder what the devs would think of this map if they see it. :)

Oh they will never see it. Most of my post go unnoticed. Unless a lot of people were to just start throwing the link to this thread in the devs faces. It will just be lost along with the thousands of other threads on the forums.
I am working on a completely different setup for the wave sequence. So all those things to the right you see with honey in them will be replaced.
Also what weapons/gear did you try it with, and how far did you make it?

Last edited:
Also what weapons/gear did you try it with, and how far did you make it?
Well, this won't be helpful for you. I was checking it out of curiousity and I didn't create a new character for it.
I played to wave 20, was wearing end-game armour and also didn't use any of your provided weapons but a Laser Machinegun. So yeah. :D

But I'll be trying it later, according to your set rules. :)

Well, this won't be helpful for you. I was checking it out of curiousity and I didn't create a new character for it.
I played to wave 20, was wearing end-game armour and also didn't use any of your provided weapons but a Laser Machinegun. So yeah. :D

But I'll be trying it later, according to your set rules. :)
Yeah, it's way too easy with endgame armor and weapons. If you were just checking out the map it's fine. But for us to get a good idea of what weapons/gear would make the game balanced and challenging for the different modes of difficulty you would of course need to try it with a new character and play around with some of the different weapons and gear.

I got to Wave 12 with only Musket and Sniper Scope before 10 ducks spawned a murdered me.

Back
Top Bottom