NPCs & Enemies Dumpster Diver

Do you like this idea?

• It's cool, but needs something more. (Say what that something is in the replies)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's... greaaat. *runs away*

• Not really.

• Lol dis sux never post again n00b

• Total voters
Remember that time when you accidentally threw something in the trash on accident, and could never get it back? Well, this guy will get rid of that problem for good! You can get this NPC when you trash something for the first time. His stock is fairly unique: It's a few random things, and his stock changes daily. "So you can get a Meowmere before EoC? This is horrible!" Let me finish, random hater. The stock is also affected by your progress in the game, so that cheap Meowmere you want has to wait for your first red rarity item. It also has 10 other things in his stock: the last 10 items you threw away! For those wondering, things will be sold at their sell price.
Now, on to the other stuff.

Names:
Taylor (Reference to the YouTube dumpster diver Tales Of Taylor)
Dave
Bill
Noah
Liam
Mason
Jacob

Quotes:
[Name of Nurse] keeps nagging me to get vaccinated. Doesn't she know those shots hurt?
You won't BELIEVE what [Name of Wizard] throws away sometimes.
It may not seem like it, but I hate litterbugs. If it's not in the trash, that means I can't find it!
I'm trying to get a job as a trash sorter to see what I can find in the system! How many "z"s in resume?
The martians throw away some strange stuff. By the way, how do you use a Phasic Warp Ejector (Reference to the unimplemented item of the same name) (Only when martian madness has been beaten)

Other NPC quotes:
Angler: I keep seeing [name of Dumpster Diver] rooting through the trash. I want to be like him when I grow up!
Dryad: It's nice to see [Name of Dumpster Diver] reuse trash, but can't he find a more... sanitary way to recycle?
Nurse (During Blood Moon): Is [Name of Dumpster Diver] asleep? He's getting his vaccinations, whether he likes it or not.

Thanks @Sigma90 for his suggestions!

Last edited:
This could actually work! As someone who trashes lots of things, it would be nice to have some sort of way to get them back. Support. :)

For those wondering, things will be sold at their sell price, and things that sell for nothing will be 1 copper coin.
Why not leave the buy price at nothing? The engine can do that as the fountains sold by the Witch Doctor used to be free. And if you sell e.g. Dirt Blocks to the Merchant for nothing, you can buy them back for nothing.

stock is also affected by your progress in the game, so that cheap Meowmere you want has to wait for post-ML.
How about making it so that he can only sell items the player has had in their inventory before?
Or maybe a bit simpler (but possibly problematic): he can only sell items of the same tier as the player has in their inventory. (I.e. Gray/White always available, Blue only available once a player collects a Blue rarity item, and so on. Rainbow/Amber items are never available.)
Or perhaps link rarity to bosses. Blue rarity items are available once EoC is defeated, increasing to Purple rarity items available once Moon Dood is defeated. (E.g. Blue: EoC. Green: Skeletron. Orange: WoF. Light Red: Any mech boss. Pink: Plantera. Light Purple: Golem. Lime: Fishron. Yellow: Lunatic Cultist. Cyan/Red/Purple: Moon Dood.)

Just giving some idea - up to you if you like them or not. :)

It also has 5 other things in his stock: the last 5 items you threw away!
Now this is interesting, because it effectively extends your inventory.
People carry around Safes and Piggy Banks to extend their normal inventory. And there are social slots to cram in a few more items. The trash slot is another slot if you're desperate. But with this guy, you can trash 4-5 items you actually want to keep, knowing they're safely with the Dumpster Diver... providing you remember to get them back later!

But 5 sounds a bit low. Maybe 10 random items and 10 most recently trashed items?

Back
Top Bottom