Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
read the last edit at the bottom. this developed into a completely different bug as I got more information.

I've been working on an AFK dungeon farm and recently stumbled into a problem. When I turn enemy spawns on (I'm in journey mode), after some kills, the game will freeze and full stop without saving. Completely unresponsive, alt+F4 won't even do the trick, gotta open task manager to kill it. No crash reports have ever appeared in my save folder either so unfortunately I have nothing like that to post. Watching carefully for what creature I was fighting at the time of the crash was not consistent. One crash happening the moment a paladin died, and the other when a necromancer died. The crash still occurs if all the wire and traps in the world are not active.
world file: Dungeon Farm Testing.wld
if opening the world to test for yourself, the teleporter to the right of spawn brings you to the area where this crash has happened
To create this world, I used TEdit 4.2.2 (not 4.2.3 because that wont launch on my machine)
terraria version 1.14.1.2
My PC specs:
Windows 10 build 19041
Ryzen 7 3700x
Asrock mobo
16gb ram
msi 2070 super
970 evo m.2 sdd
tldr - the game seemingly just decides to die when normally killing enemies in a dungeon.

EDIT: while playing again today, the world crashed while mob spawning was still disabled after about 5 minutes.

Last Edit: I got baited. I just realized that these crashes kept happening at the stroke of midnight. After a quick look in TEdit, i realized that the game has been trying to spawn a meteor in the world. The spawn zone protected and the rest of the world a void, I guess the game is crashing because it's trying to spawn a meteor in the void. After adding meteorite above 0 depth (per the spawn conditions for this size of world). the game has not crashed since.

real tldr - the game crashes if a meteor attempts to spawn in the void!

Last edited:
Checking this is on my to-do list, but in the meantime: You've mentioned the crash on enemy deaths seems to be random. Are there any patterns that you could see? E.g. does it happen after a certain number of enemies are killed, or after a certain amount of time? Are Dungeon Spirits spawning as expected? Are there any tied up NPCs in the Dungeon? (Mechanic, Wizard and Goblin are all possibilities.)
Any further information that could narrow this down will be of great help!

Checking this is on my to-do list, but in the meantime: You've mentioned the crash on enemy deaths seems to be random. Are there any patterns that you could see? E.g. does it happen after a certain number of enemies are killed, or after a certain amount of time? Are Dungeon Spirits spawning as expected? Are there any tied up NPCs in the Dungeon? (Mechanic, Wizard and Goblin are all possibilities.)
Any further information that could narrow this down will be of great help!
Per my edits, I don't think the enemies were actually the problem at all. Since adding meteor blocks to my world so a new one doesn't spawn, I've never had a crash. So I think the real bug is just that the game crashes when a meteor attempts to land when there is nowhere to do so. I'll strikethrough the now-incorrect assumptions I made when writing this post. Thanks for the reply!

Per my edits, I don't think the enemies were actually the problem at all. Since adding meteor blocks to my world so a new one doesn't spawn, I've never had a crash. So I think the real bug is just that the game crashes when a meteor attempts to land when there is nowhere to do so. I'll strikethrough the now-incorrect assumptions I made when writing this post. Thanks for the reply!
Thanks for the additional info - that will be a big help! I was able to reproduce the crash and this is now reported.

Back
Top Bottom