Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Multi
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
So I found out that when you paste a large amount of text in the chat box it will crash your game and because of that I found a duplication bug. What I did is I would put some kind of item in my inventory (lets say 20 copper) and I leave the game and it would save my inventory. When I join back in then I put it in the chest and then I have to somehow crash my game (which at first I did by pasting large text in chat but then figured out I could just press alt+f4) because it would not save my data and when I join back it would roll back my inventory. I would now have 20 copper in my inventory and when I open the chest there will also be 20 copper so now I would have 40.

I would recommend NOT trying to crash your world, as it could risk file corruption.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about the dupe here, as it interrupts the saving process. But we are looking at the actual crash cause, so thanks for the report!

So I found out that when you paste a large amount of text in the chat box it will crash your game and because of that I found a duplication bug. What I did is I would put some kind of item in my inventory (lets say 20 copper) and I leave the game and it would save my inventory. When I join back in then I put it in the chest and then I have to somehow crash my game (which at first I did by pasting large text in chat but then figured out I could just press alt+f4) because it would not save my data and when I join back it would roll back my inventory. I would now have 20 copper in my inventory and when I open the chest there will also be 20 copper so now I would have 40.
The large text commonly used to crash terraria is usually text characters not supported by the game (e.g: " ツ " on pc is replaced with " * ") by using that method, it is possible to spam a huge amount of non-supported characters, and only having a space at the end of the message (anywhere before the end wont work, as the exploit actually messes with the text rendering system)

Note: This exploit can easily crash the mobile version of terraria as well (mobile is slightly different, as you can technically spam press any text character, whether it is supported of not, then put a space at the end and it will still crash)

Back
Top Bottom