Switch Duplicating Items And Vortex Beater Bug

tallnecked

Terrarian
F0DA18F1-CD95-4105-8AF3-6D9A9FA65990.jpeg 1940533B-9E23-4A71-9E0C-5803614851B1.jpeg 3968B5C9-57CA-4C34-8A6C-E813907CCA75.jpeg It has come to my attention that people have taken advantage of duplicating on Terraria for the Nintendo Switch. I just wanted to make this issue public so that it can be fixed as soon as possible.
I know people will be unhappy with me posting this because they don’t want the duplication bug to be fixed, but you have to earn the items for yourself! There’s no fun in just duplicating hundreds of expert hardmode loot bags to get developer armor. There’s no satisfaction in doing that. The way the bug works is you enter a friend’s online world and they have a chest. Before you place the items you want to duplicate, you turn off autosave. Then, once you placed the items in the chest with autosave off, you head the home menu and close software. Then, the chest will have the items and the items will be in your inventory.
Another bug is the Vortex Beater bug. Basically, while you shoot the vortex beater, you use the touch screen to tap on the first weapon in your inventory. (The first weapon is the weapon on the top row on the left corner of your screen) Then, the weapon will start to become broken. It depends on the weapon: if you have a Solar Eruption, you will start shooting 5 solar eruptions. If you have a summon staff, you can summon infinite summons. A portal staff, infinite portals and the list goes on.
Again, I know people will be mad at me for making the developers aware of this (if they see it, of course), but it’s been getting out of hand. I crafted a Drill Containment Unit for my friend, then he duplicated it and gave it to a few of his friends. Now, nearly my entire Discord server has Drill Containment Units, even though they’re still in pre hardmode. They didn’t earn it themselves, they just leeched onto my earnings and took it for their own.

View attachment 223840 View attachment 223841 View attachment 223842 It has come to my attention that people have taken advantage of duplicating on Terraria for the Nintendo Switch. I just wanted to make this issue public so that it can be fixed as soon as possible.
I know people will be unhappy with me posting this because they don’t want the duplication bug to be fixed, but you have to earn the items for yourself! There’s no fun in just duplicating hundreds of expert hardmode loot bags to get developer armor. There’s no satisfaction in doing that. The way the bug works is you enter a friend’s online world and they have a chest. Before you place the items you want to duplicate, you turn off autosave. Then, once you placed the items in the chest with autosave off, you head the home menu and close software. Then, the chest will have the items and the items will be in your inventory.
Another bug is the Vortex Beater bug. Basically, while you shoot the vortex beater, you use the touch screen to tap on the first weapon in your inventory. (The first weapon is the weapon on the top row on the left corner of your screen) Then, the weapon will start to become broken. It depends on the weapon: if you have a Solar Eruption, you will start shooting 5 solar eruptions. If you have a summon staff, you can summon infinite summons. A portal staff, infinite portals and the list goes on.
Again, I know people will be mad at me for making the developers aware of this (if they see it, of course), but it’s been getting out of hand. I crafted a Drill Containment Unit for my friend, then he duplicated it and gave it to a few of his friends. Now, nearly my entire Discord server has Drill Containment Units, even though they’re still in pre hardmode. They didn’t earn it themselves, they just leeched onto my earnings and took it for their own.
Hi there @tallnecked, thanks for sharing this info, and welcome to the forums. :)

For the duplication exploit, it’s really just how saves work. Much the same as if you create a backup of the world file, loot it, then restore from backup again and loot it over and over. There’s not much that can be done.

The vortex beater bug was an issue on Xbox One and PS4 as well. Looks like it’s an issue on Switch now.

If you haven’t already, I suggest sending this info directly to Pipeworks (the console developers) here:
https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/terraria/index.html
Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form (Another link in case the first is closed)

You probably won’t get a response, but the development team reads over every bug report that comes in through that form.

Also, as an aside on a different topic, in case you haven’t heard, placing Item Frames or Target Dummies in your world will cause it to not launch anymore, so avoid those two things for now.

View attachment 223840 View attachment 223841 View attachment 223842 It has come to my attention that people have taken advantage of duplicating on Terraria for the Nintendo Switch. I just wanted to make this issue public so that it can be fixed as soon as possible.

What are you doing ?? :dryadeek:
I hope this bug will not be fixed, we need it !! :passionate:

Yeah, any hardmode boss. Also, if you need some help, just say the word. I’ve already beaten the game on expert haha
Haha I might take you up on that. Right now I’m building all the farms and bridges till I go into Hardmode, and trying to do all the fishing quests to make the PDA. Idk how you beat it so fast! I’ve got 101 hours on my character lol.

I’ve got around 110 hours on my character. It took me ages to get the fishing pocket guide, (I need a little help of a friend) but I finally made the Cellphone!

Last edited:
I have written an extensive bug report on the current situation with merging items. I don't really wanna re-type it but the basic gist is:
EDIT: I just realized how big this "basic gist" is, lol

Most moonlord/lunar weapons are able to "merge" with other items.
This includes the vortex beater doing all crazy stuff with different items:
-when switching from vortex beater (VB) to stynger, you will rapidly shoot stynger bullets with the attack speed, spread and occasional homing bullets from the VB. (VB Homing)
This works with: (tested)
-stynger
-candy corn rifle
-stake launcher
-any arrow
-snowman cannon
-any bullet
-elf melter. You will shoot normal bullets at the cost of gel

The phantasm is an interesting case. When using the phantasm and doing the same as the VB, you get interesting effects. The "spin up" for fire rate and multi shot / ammo still goes. But if used with stynger for example, it will shoot multiple stynger bolts at the cost of 1 bolt.

This works with (confirmed by testing)
-snowman cannon (rockets 1 to 4)
-candy corn rifle
-stake launcher
-stynger
-any bullet
-any arrow (interesting case with shadowflame bow below)
-elf melter (will shoot multiple default bullets at the cost of Gel)

Shadowflame bow will carry over it's arrow-transforming effect when used with bows that do not transform an arrow already. This means that when using the phantasm, then merging it with the shadowflame bow will cause you to shoot shadowflame arrows with all stats of phantasm.

Next and lastly for now, as i just realized im making it quite extensive here as well: mana cost merging.

Ever wanted to shoot the Last Prism for ages without using so much mana? Grab yourself a low mana cost item such as the razorpine or magical harp. Start firing the Last Prism, then quickly tap on one of the above items. Enjoy the damage of last prism with 2-3 mana cost per tick :) (instead of the 20+)

Actually, this bug works with almost all ranged weapons (except for swords). They just need to be the first weapon in your inventory. (Top left weapon)
I have written an extensive bug report on the current situation with merging items. I don't really wanna re-type it but the basic gist is:
EDIT: I just realized how big this "basic gist" is, lol

Most moonlord/lunar weapons are able to "merge" with other items.
This includes the vortex beater doing all crazy stuff with different items:
-when switching from vortex beater (VB) to stynger, you will rapidly shoot stynger bullets with the attack speed, spread and occasional homing bullets from the VB. (VB Homing)
This works with: (tested)
-stynger
-candy corn rifle
-stake launcher
-any arrow
-snowman cannon
-any bullet
-elf melter. You will shoot normal bullets at the cost of gel

The phantasm is an interesting case. When using the phantasm and doing the same as the VB, you get interesting effects. The "spin up" for fire rate and multi shot / ammo still goes. But if used with stynger for example, it will shoot multiple stynger bolts at the cost of 1 bolt.

This works with (confirmed by testing)
-snowman cannon (rockets 1 to 4)
-candy corn rifle
-stake launcher
-stynger
-any bullet
-any arrow (interesting case with shadowflame bow below)
-elf melter (will shoot multiple default bullets at the cost of Gel)

Shadowflame bow will carry over it's arrow-transforming effect when used with bows that do not transform an arrow already. This means that when using the phantasm, then merging it with the shadowflame bow will cause you to shoot shadowflame arrows with all stats of phantasm.

Next and lastly for now, as i just realized im making it quite extensive here as well: mana cost merging.

Ever wanted to shoot the Last Prism for ages without using so much mana? Grab yourself a low mana cost item such as the razorpine or magical harp. Start firing the Last Prism, then quickly tap on one of the above items. Enjoy the damage of last prism with 2-3 mana cost per tick :) (instead of the 20+)

Actually, this bug works with almost all ranged weapons (except for swords). They just need to be the first weapon in your inventory. (Top left weapon)

Being in top left seems to add additional effects. The ones i listed are possible on any slot as far as i have tested.

Back
Top Bottom