Game Mechanics Dyeable Hotbar Items

SpiritInfinity

Skeletron Prime
So you've got your favourite weapon after hours of farming, but you don't like it's colour. Well, to change this I bring you my dyeable hotbar suggestion! This will allow you to dye any of the items in your hotbar whatever colour you like! Now you're thinking, I like the idea, but another row in our inventory will be annoying and impractical. So there will be a button on the side of the hotbar when you open your inventory below the lock/unlock hotbar button (will have to move that up) which will take you when clicked to another GUI, much like the accessories and armour changing into the housing or pet, light pet, mount etc. menu. This way it won't get in the way of stuff ;)

It will also dye any projectiles or minions summoned from the weapon.

If you support this idea leave a comment but if you don't still leave a comment saying why you are unsure this should be added or what should be changed :)

Here's a link to a similar thread on a mannequin GUI, so be sure to check that out too!
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/mannequin-gui.27447/

Last edited:
I actually quite like this idea! I've always wanted to change the colour of my sword because I don't really like the colour *cough* *cough* meowmere *cough* *cough*. So yeah, I support!

Full support. Actually had pretty much the same idea wandering around in my head. Keep that topic alive, people!

I remember hearing at some point that the devs had wanted or tried to implement dye-able weapons, but the task was way to intensive/ or something along those lines.

If someone could make it happen, though, I'm all for it.

I remember hearing at some point that the devs had wanted or tried to implement dye-able weapons, but the task was way to intensive/ or something along those lines.

If someone could make it happen, though, I'm all for it.
I'm sure it could be done!

I'm sure it could be done!
Are you a programmer? I ask because non-programmers often underestimate the difficulty of doing things that on the surface seem simple, but would be quite difficult, computationally expensive, or potentially troublesome to implement in software.

Google SMOP (Simple/Small Matter Of Programming) or read this very short Wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_matter_of_programming

As a player I'd like to be able to dye hotbar items, but as a developer and graphic artist I can think of some possible gotchas that would make this a whole lot tougher to do than to imagine. Since the developers considered the idea and rejected it, I'm inclined to believe they're right.

Are you a programmer? I ask because non-programmers often underestimate the difficulty of doing things that on the surface seem simple, but would be quite difficult, computationally expensive, or potentially troublesome to implement in software.

Google SMOP (Simple/Small Matter Of Programming) or read this very short Wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_matter_of_programming

As a player I'd like to be able to dye hotbar items, but as a developer and graphic artist I can think of some possible gotchas that would make this a whole lot tougher to do than to imagine. Since the developers considered the idea and rejected it, I'm inclined to believe they're right.
I do know that programming is hard and time-consuming, but if armour and accessories can be dyed why not weapons? I'm sure it would be a challenge, but it would add so much more personalisation to the game.

Why not? My guess is because the work involved would be too much for a mere cosmetic change when not many people would think more of it than "oh, that's nice they added that." A dev team has limited time and resources, and must decide wisely how to apportion that time and those resources. If they're smart they're going to use it on what both users and developers consider important.

Suppose this were added, but that everyone's game slowed down because of the added computations, possibly even breaking the game on older systems. Would it be worth that risk just to make some items change color?

Even though as a player I'd be pleased if it could be added without that kind of problem, if I were a Terraria project manager or developer I'd have to say no — it's not worth it.

Always when someone mentions dyeable weapons, I'm in with full support :) Maybe dyeable hotbar would be too hard to programm as it would involve all items hold by player but think about dedicated weapon/weapons slot. Mounts have animations and can be dyed so I think dyeing weapons wouldn't make a big difference in system performance.

Sounds interesting. I support. Should also be avalaible for hooks, mounts, pets, light pets and minecarts. Also an option to only dye the items or the projectiles/minions.

Should also be avalaible for hooks, mounts, pets, light pets and minecarts.
It already is. All those items can be dyed easily.

Also an option to only dye the items or the projectiles/minions.
Adding yet another layer of complication. The potential for problems increases every time additional layers of processing are troweled over existing ones.

I'd rather have a solid program with very rich (but not entirely comprehensive) customization options than a crash-prone or laggy one that added purely cosmetic, entirely non-functional customizations.

It already is. All those items can be dyed easily.
I haven't fully caught up with the update :p

Adding yet another layer of complication. The potential for problems increases every time additional layers of processing are troweled over existing ones.

I'd rather have a solid program with very rich (but not entirely comprehensive) customization options than a crash-prone or laggy one that added purely cosmetic, entirely non-functional customizations.

You're right.

I haven't fully caught up with the update :p
Oh, you're going to love this. Over your equipment there are now three icons: Camera mode, Housing, and Equipment. Click the Equipment one and you'll find slots for all the items you mentioned, and a dye slot for each one. Enjoy!

Oh, you're going to love this. Over your equipment there are now three icons: Camera mode, Housing, and Equipment. Click the Equipment one and you'll find slots for all the items you mentioned, and a dye slot for each one. Enjoy!

I saw those, yet somehow I didn't see the dye slots. Thanks anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom