Game Mechanics Dynamic Parallax

@GodlyCutlass, if you don't like Starbound, that's fine. If you love it, that's fine too. This thread's topic isn't about Starbound though, nor is it about a Terraria vs Starbound comparison. Please don't derail the thread with your own off topic thoughts.

Don't but into an "A-B" conversation unless you know what you're talking about. What I said was relevant as well as truthful, and that's why I commented. Accusations of me of "derailing" the thread are absolutely absurd. Go be a "C" somewhere else.

Don't but into an "A-B" conversation unless you know what you're talking about. What I said was relevant as well as truthful, and that's why I commented. Accusations of me of "derailing" the thread are absolutely absurd. Go be a "C" somewhere else.
What I said before stands. Your posts complaining about Starbound being used as an example are off topic, and add nothing to the thread's topic.

If you have any questions about this, or would like to speak to another moderator to get a second opinion, please send me (or a moderator of your choice) a private message by clicking 'Start a Conversation' under my avatar at the bottom. There should be no more discussion about this in the current thread to allow it to get back on topic.

This will be the last time that I comment so that I hopefully don't get on your bad side since I actually JUST noticed that you were a moderator. Not that I'm intimidated but I have people on here that I talk to and I don't want to get a warning or a ban (some moderators are cocky like that, lol, not implying that you are) over something as petty as this. I am thoroughly going to be done after this is said.

I was fully aware that what I said was off topic. I'm allowed to voice my own opinion and thoughts regardless whether what is said is relevant or not. And yes, what I said was indeed related to the topic at hand. It may have come off as rude and that's why you're acting hostile towards me. But the truth is, whether it was negative or not, it was on topic. I've also contributed to the dynamic parallax theory multiple times in the past.

I also don't understand why you are using words such as "derailed" and "complaining", as I have yet to have done either.

If you're trying to find someone to accuse for "derailing" the thread look in the mirror dude. Your reply literally derailed the thread. I wasn't going to say anything more after the reply to JellyMantis because, like I said, I was fully aware that my initial comment was not genuine. I hope at least one thing I said stood out to you and if you hope to reply to this, try to keep it on topic so as to not "derail" everything all over again.

An good example of the dynamic parallax are the Starbound backgorund, just look the background of the worlds

I'm not sure how dynamic I would call that, I don't recall if Starbound's parallax actively changes. I do think it might have been one of the high-points, though.

I'm trying to see how this would work out in a non-crafted experience game like Terraria. Like others have mentioned the closest comparison I can think of for non-crafted experiences is Starbound. The example you shared looks more like a crafted experience than a sandbox.

If you wanted to do something similar to the video you shared, there's a lot of variables to consider.
-Would it be a repeated pattern background like What Starbound has? This is probably the easiest solution.
-Would there be mid-ground objects? Would they depend on the shape of the world? What happens when you remove blocks from the world?

Those are just two examples (I'm sure others could come up with better solutions) but is still something to consider.

great idea bro hope it gets added as a graphics option, I need to ask does this mod lower fps or it does not do anything but make things look nicer ?

Terraria works in layers. You have -from front to back- wires and actuators, blocks, furniture, walls, background, sun and moon. There are probably more i missed.

I'm trying to see how this would work out in a non-crafted experience game like Terraria. Like others have mentioned the closest comparison I can think of for non-crafted experiences is Starbound. The example you shared looks more like a crafted experience than a sandbox.

If you wanted to do something similar to the video you shared, there's a lot of variables to consider.
-Would it be a repeated pattern background like What Starbound has? This is probably the easiest solution.
-Would there be mid-ground objects? Would they depend on the shape of the world? What happens when you remove blocks from the world?

Those are just two examples (I'm sure others could come up with better solutions) but is still something to consider.
I assume repeated patterns are a given from the video; maybe some kind of RNG to determine the exact spacing of the objects. What do you mean by midground? As in walls and crafting stations? Removing blocks would fade away the parallax layers in specific layouts around that block (IE digging a 2-block wide hole in the forest would prevent trees from appearing in a radius above that hole)
Terraria works in layers. You have -from front to back- wires and actuators, blocks, furniture, walls, background, sun and moon. There are probably more i missed.
Okay?

Back
Top Bottom