• I like them all!

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Meh...

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I hate them all!

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I liked the Clay Armor.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I disliked the Clay Armor and will say why in a comment.

• I liked the early throwing weapons.

• I disliked the early throwing weapons and will say why in a comment.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I liked the Cactus Armor changes.

• I disliked the Cactus Armor changes and will say why in a comment.

• I liked the Gladiator Armor changes.

• I disliked the Gladiator Armor changes and will say why in a comment.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I liked the Starry Wand.

• I disliked the Starry Wand and will say why in a comment.

• I liked the Rock Staff.

• I disliked the Rock Staff and will say why in a comment.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I liked the Earth Armor.

• I disliked the Earth Armor and will say why in a comment.

• I liked the Frozen Armor.

• I disliked the Frozen Armor and will say why in a comment.

• Total voters
Hello :), I wanted to say that i really loved the post, but i have a suggestion:

Nerf the shark armor, the +38% ranged damage and the +40% are too op. Well, I know it's a bit balanced because the -25% ranged speed, but, the Star Cannon, only with the armor damage bonus, would deal around 75 damage, which is too much for a pre hardmode weapon, and more, almost half of the attacks would be crit, so i think that should be fixed.

Maybe reducing the damage and the crit chance of the armor, so the decreased ranged speed could be remove.

Well, that's my suggestion ( sorry for any spelling error you found, i'm still learning english, i'm brasilian)

As you all know, it is quite easy for non-mana users to get an early-game weapon. (i.e. rangers get wood bow and melee get a wood sword) However, the mana users (mage & summoner) and the sub-classes (throwing and tank) struggle to get gear. Tanks don't need weapons, but high-defense armor would be nice. Mages and summoners need weapons that you can get before the second day easily, and throwing weapons need some craftables. Class-specific armor early-game would also be nice, so I've got some ideas.

Tank
So, the tank armor. It needs to:

- give high defense boost
- draw aggro
- reduce move speed to balance.

Clay isn't being used for much other than building, and it's heavy, thick and is hard when heated, so how about:

Clay Armor
Mask: +3 defense, -7% movement speed, View attachment 170778 x20 and View attachment 170780 x5 @View attachment 170782
Chestplate: +5 defense, -13% movement speed, +7% melee damage, View attachment 170778 x35 and View attachment 170780 x10 @View attachment 170782
Boots: +4 defense, -10% movement speed, +4% melee crit chance, View attachment 170778 x25 and View attachment 170780 x7 @View attachment 170782
Set Bonus: Enemies are more likely to target you

Total: +12 defense, -30% movement speed, +7% melee damage, +4% melee crit chance, enemies are more likely to target you, View attachment 170778 x80 and View attachment 170780 x22 @View attachment 170782

This should help melee players a bit, and tanks a lot on a multiplayer server.

Throwing
Another sub-class, this time of ranged, throwing could be considered its own class with its own damage, armor, etc. however, it is still a new and small class and I consider it a sub-class, just like summoner before 1.3. Crafting throwing weapons would be nice, yet too many mods do ore throwing weapons (including mine). Some unique ones that, to my knowledge, have not been done, are:

Living Wood Javelin
5 throwing damage, pierces thrice, 33/1 View attachment 170781 @ View attachment 170786

Easy-to-access throwing weapon for fighting hordes of enemies and good for throwing playthroughs, also allows for more living wood content. Deals less damage than cactus shuriken but pierces more.

Cactus Shuriken
7 throwing damage, pierces once, 33/1 View attachment 170783 @ View attachment 170785

Another easy-to access throwing weapon, deals more damage than living wood javelin but pierces less. Spiky!

Ice Knives
6 throwing damage, pierces twice, 33/2 View attachment 170784 @ View attachment 170785

Final throwing weapon, balance between previous two. Req. 2 ice instead of one because it's so common.

Armor Changes
We needn't add new throwing armor, just tweak previous ones. Some tweaks to make:

Cactus Armor
View attachment 170789 Helmet: +2 defense, 13% chance not to consume throwing items, View attachment 170783 x35 and View attachment 170788 x1 @ View attachment 170787

View attachment 170790 Breastplate: +3 defense, +12% throwing dmg, View attachment 170783 x50 and View attachment 170788 x2 @ View attachment 170787
View attachment 170791 Leggings: +2 defense, +6% throwing crit chance, +8% movement speed, View attachment 170783 x40 and View attachment 170788 x1 @ View attachment 170787
Set Bonus: +20% chance not to consume throwing items, deals 10% of damage taken back

View attachment 170793 Total: +7 defense, +12% throwing dmg, +6% throwing crit, +8% move speed, +33% chance not to consume throwing items, deals 10% of damage taken back, View attachment 170783 x125 and View attachment 170788 x4 @ View attachment 170787

These changes should add throwing variety and give the pre-HM desert a throwing feel, whilst not making cactus armor OP by tweaking the recipe.

Gladiator Armor
Gladiator armor is a set that has unused potential. Even the official terraria wiki says:

"Due to the immense power of Hoplites, along with the drop chance for each piece of the set, by the time the player obtains this armor set it wouldn't be worth the effort".

This is a shame because it would make great throwing armor! Here's some changes:

View attachment 170796 Helmet: +3 defense, +10% throwing crit chance
View attachment 170795 Breastplate: +4 defense, +16% throwing damage
View attachment 170797 Leggings: +3 defense, +12% movement speed, +2% throwing crit chance
Set bonus: either a) Throwing attacks ignore 33% of armor OR
b) Throwing a throwing weapon has a 10% chance to also throw a net; does 22 base damage and inflicts "Slowed" for 8 sec

View attachment 170794 Total: +10 defense, +16% throwing damage, +12% throwing crit chance, +12% move speed + set bonus

Ranger Armor

I agree with @Zoomo and @Sir Edeneric; rangers do get screwed over by a lack of pre-skeletron armor. Reliably getting ranger armor to fight skeletron, EoW, EoC, BoC, etc. is impossible because no such armor exists. I propose:

Shark Armor

Shark armor is a shark-based set that focuses on high-damage, high-velocity shots. This is well paired with shark-tooth necklace (because you need all the armor pen you can get!) and a book of ichor if used in HM (0 defense on most HM mobs!)

Shark Cap
3 defense, +18% ranged damage and crit chance, -8% ranged speed, View attachment 170823x5 and View attachment 170792x10 @View attachment 170787
Shark Cape
5 defense, +20% ranged damage and crit chance, -12% ranged speed, +5 armor penetration, View attachment 170823x10 and View attachment 170792x20 @View attachment 170787
Shark Pants
3 defense, +10% ranged crit chance, -5% ranged speed, +5 armor penetration, View attachment 170823x8 and View attachment 170792x16 @View attachment 170787

Set Bonus: Critical hits ignore 33% of armor, enemies are less likely to target you
Total: +38% ranged damage, +40% ranged crit chance, -25% ranged speed, +10 armor penetration, critical hits ignore 33% of armor.
Magic Weapons
Whilst the other two core classes get a wooden weapon, mages do not. To solve this, I present:

Starry Wand
4 magic damage, shoots linear star projectile, 18 use time (3.333 shots per sec, ~200 shots per minute), auto-use. Crafted w/ View attachment 170781 x6 and View attachment 170798 x1 @ View attachment 170785
This should work as a balanced magic weapon until you get an ore staff or wand of sparking.

Mages do not need more armor, they have 3 sets.

Summoner
Summoner always gets screwed over when it comes to gear, not only do they only have bee armor pre-HM, but they also have a lot less weapons than throwing. To solve the latter:

Rock Staff
Summons a rock spirit w/ deadly sphere minion AI. 4 damage. Crafted with 25 stone and 10 wood @ Living Loom.

Armor
Armor Sets: (one easy to obtain and one mid-pre-HM)

Earth Armor
Helmet: +1 defense, +12% minion damage, View attachment 170780 x15 and View attachment 170800 x15 @ View attachment 170786
Chestplate: +2 defense, +1 max minions, View attachment 170780 x25 and View attachment 170800 x25 @ View attachment 170786
Boots: +1 defense, +8% movement speed, +4% summoner crit chance, View attachment 170780 x20 and View attachment 170800 x20 @ View attachment 170786
Set Bonus: Summons an earth spirit similar to chlorophyte set bonus. 10 summon damage.

Total: +4 defense, +1 max minions, +12% minion damage, +8% movement speed, +4% summoner crit chance, Earth Spirit, View attachment 170780 x60 and View attachment 170800 x60 @ View attachment 170786

And, something for the now-underpowered Ice Biome:

Frozen Armor

Helmet: +3 defense, +1 max minions, +4% minion crit chance, View attachment 170792x10 and View attachment 170784x20 @ View attachment 170787
Breastplate: +5 defense, +1 max minions, +13% minion damage, View attachment 170792x20 and View attachment 170784x40 @ View attachment 170787
Leggings: +3 defense, +8% movement speed, +4% minion crit chance, View attachment 170792x16 and View attachment 170784x32 @ View attachment 170787
Set bonus: Summoning weapons have a 33% chance to inflict the chilled debuff, +1 max minions

Total: +11 defense, +3 minion count, +13% minion damage, +8% minion crit chance, +8% movement speed, summoning weapons have a 33% chance to inflict chilled, View attachment 170792x46 and View attachment 170784 x92 @ View attachment 170787

I hope you enjoyed my suggestions! Sorry I couldn't make sprites, I'm not very good, but hey, if you really like it, you could make sprites! :naughty:
(Please comment the gladiator set bonus you preferred and why!)

Old amount of each armor:

Melee: 3
Ranged: 1
Magic: 3
Summoner: 1
Throwing: 2
(unbalanced much?)

New amounts:

Melee: 4
Ranged: 2
Magic: 3
Summoner: 3
Throwing: 4

Actually you shouldn't call it a tank, because melee is actually a brute/tank combo. Just call it melee, since it has high damage per hit, attack speed, and defense. The melee class is the only class that gets attack speed boosts on equipment along with damage per hit boosts, multiplying their dps. The melee class technically has the best defense and dps in the game. But lack of range obviously.

Why does throwing get 4 sets of armour whilst ranged gets only ONE. Each class should get 2 pre-HM sets of armour. Melee gets Shadow/Crimson & Molten. Ranged gets Nerco (Needs one more set), Magic gets Meteorite and Jungle, Summoners get Bee (Needs one more set) & Throwing gets Ninja and Fossil. Also, the Devs have gone on record saying throwing won't be a thing.

EDIT I: I actually think it would be better if there were 3 sets of armour per class to make Pre-HM more substantial.

EDIT II: Also good job on the magic and summoning weapons.
Actually, Crimson isn't a melee armor. It's a classless armor, since it doesn't provide any buffs that are only useful for 1 damage type.

Actually you shouldn't call it a tank, because melee is actually a brute/tank combo. Just call it melee, since it has high damage per hit, attack speed, and defense. The melee class is the only class that gets attack speed boosts on equipment along with damage per hit boosts, multiplying their dps. The melee class technically has the best defense and dps in the game. But lack of range obviously.
I said that tank is a melee sub-class that's more focused on taking hits then dealing them. In my eyes, there are 2 sets of tank armor: Turtle and Beetle Shell. Most other melee armors have high defense, but certainly not to the extent of Turtle and Beetle's Shell set (at their levels of play). At turtle armor level, the "DPS" melee armor is the Chlorophyte armor, and at Beetle Shell level, it's obviously the other set (scalemail).
I made a sprite for the starry wand.

bddaa340-8812-11e7-ba60-652a2dbf4863.gif
Cool! It's not terraria size and it needs shading, but it's a nice concept art.
EDIT: Based on the particle effects and thick stick, I made a smaller, Terraria-sized sprite with a star on the tip.
Hello :), I wanted to say that i really loved the post, but i have a suggestion:

Nerf the shark armor, the +38% ranged damage and the +40% are too op. Well, I know it's a bit balanced because the -25% ranged speed, but, the Star Cannon, only with the armor damage bonus, would deal around 75 damage, which is too much for a pre hardmode weapon, and more, almost half of the attacks would be crit, so i think that should be fixed.

Maybe reducing the damage and the crit chance of the armor, so the decreased ranged speed could be remove.

Well, that's my suggestion ( sorry for any spelling error you found, i'm still learning english, i'm brasilian)
The entire point of Shark armor is to snipe for high damage and crits. It's really meant to do very high damage shots at low speed, and that's its niche. Like @Zoomo said in his early game class progression thread, the Demonite tier armors are niche armors; they fufill a certain niche. Shadow is rapid attack melee, Crimson is heavy life regen and is almost a tank armor (in my eyes), Meteor is good with space gun, etc. The point of shark armor is for high damage shots that require more skill to aim and give you a higher DPS based on your skill. It might also have a set bonus to decrease spread, just to have the whole accuracy thing (although that might be a little much.)
Also, the high armor pen and damage makes it a good armor to use minishark, as minishark becomes less effective due to the low damage per bullet.

Last edited:
Actually the new class armour numbers are like this:
Melee: 3
Ranged: 2
Magic: 2
Summoner: 3
Throwing: 4
(Sorry I haven't been looking at this since July.)
I counted Ancient Shadow and Cobalt as their own sets. Forgot about Ancient Necro though.
They're interchangeable but they're still different, because they're obtained differently.

You should also buff the drop chance of Gladiator armour if you're giving it an effect. Prehardmode tanks do miss out, so an armour for them is awesome. Im also imagining a Phoniex Blaster with that Shark Armour, and its such a lovely thought. Some more weapons for Throwing is cool, and the Cactus armour including Antlion Mandibles is a great touch. The extra summon armours are needed desperately, and your ideas are pretty cool. One thing though - Minions can't crit. Also You said that Earth armour increased Summoner Crit Chance, and that Frozen Armour increased Minion Crit Chance. Did you mean anything by that, or was it just a Typo? The new magic weapon is cool, but maybe it should be made with a Wand of Sparking and do a bit more damage, as the wand of sparking... isn't the best. Lastly, would you consider making a Prehardmode Flamthrower or Rocket/Grenade Launcher? The explosive and Pyro side of rangers is really lacking

You should also buff the drop chance of Gladiator armour if you're giving it an effect.
OK, I'll buff it to 1/20 (from 1/60).
Prehardmode tanks do miss out, so an armour for them is awesome. Im also imagining a Phoniex Blaster with that Shark Armour, and its such a lovely thought. Some more weapons for Throwing is cool, and the Cactus armour including Antlion Mandibles is a great touch. The extra summon armours are needed desperately, and your ideas are pretty cool.
Thanks! I also want my Pheonix Blaster to be more like a sniper rifle (as a ranger). It does sound great and allows pre-HM weapons to be viable in HM. I also added the Antlion Mandibles not only to make them more useful but also to balance the recipe. Early throwing weapons allows anyone to do damage from afar early on, so that's why I added them.
One thing though - Minions can't crit. Also You said that Earth armour increased Summoner Crit Chance, and that Frozen Armour increased Minion Crit Chance. Did you mean anything by that, or was it just a Typo?
I forgot. Wish they could, but they can't. I'll change it to minion size and range respectively.
The new magic weapon is cool, but maybe it should be made with a Wand of Sparking and do a bit more damage, as the wand of sparking... isn't the best. Lastly, would you consider making a Prehardmode Flamthrower or Rocket/Grenade Launcher? The explosive and Pyro side of rangers is really lacking
The new magic weapon is intended as a longer-range alt to the wand of sparking. Maybe buffing the damage of both would be better. As for the Flamethrower and Grenade Launcher... There's probably a reason there's no Pre-HM Grenade Launcher, but I could try to make a balanced one. Same thing for Flamethrower; I might make 2 of them, just because. Thanks for the feedback!

Hey there, I am busy making a cool sprite for The Frostthrower.
I have already got the frame! This is just to keep you up to date. I am better at things like guns and swords than for example armor.
I am probably not going to sprite your armor, because I don't want it to be an experiment.

The newly added ranged weapons are awesome. I particularly love the Frosthrower as Frostburn is one of my favourite debuffs! I thought about a super early game grenade launcher using acorns as ammo... stop laughing

And here is my sprite:

The Frostthrower
Frostthrower.png

13 ranged damage
Same use time and attack type as Flamethrower
Uses Gel as ammo
Each hit has a 10% chance to inflict Frostburn (although Flamethrowers shoot 5 projectiles, believe it or not)
Crafted w/
index.php
x12 and
index.php
x25 @
index.php

These 2 new weapons will help with the hordes of enemies that the player will face in the Jungle and Dungeon (along with Wall of Flesh's hungry on Expert).
[doublepost=1505849196,1505849157][/doublepost]
And here is my sprite:

The Frostthrower
Frostthrower.png

13 ranged damage
Uses Gel as ammo
Each hit has a 10% chance to inflict Frostburn (although Flamethrowers shoot 5 projectiles, believe it or not)
Crafted w/
index.php
x12 and
index.php
x25 @
index.php

These 2 new weapons will help with the hordes of enemies that the player will face in the Jungle and Dungeon (along with Wall of Flesh's hungry on Expert).

Just copy-paste it.
[doublepost=1505849366][/doublepost]I will make the grenade gun sprite tomorrow maybe, because I am tired now. And I have to drink tea *completely inapropriate*.
Sadly enough, there is now way to add an animation to The Frostthrower, except if you allow me to mod it in.
[doublepost=1505849398][/doublepost]
And here is my sprite:

The Frostthrower
Frostthrower.png

13 ranged damage
Uses Gel as ammo
Crafted w/
index.php
x12 and
index.php
x25 @
index.php

Just copy-paste it.
[doublepost=1505849366][/doublepost]I will make the grenade gun sprite tomorrow maybe, because I am tired now. And I have to drink tea *completely inapropriate*.
Sadly enough, there is now way to add an animation to The Frostthrower, except if you allow me to mod it in.

And sorry for this *double merge*

And here is my sprite:

The Frostthrower View attachment 183607

13 ranged damage
Uses Gel as ammo
Crafted w/
index.php
x12 and
index.php
x25 @
index.php

Just copy-paste it.
[doublepost=1505849398][/doublepost]

And sorry for this *double merge*

Well it was actually a triple merge. And nice sprite!

Wait... I think I found out something. Is there any special reason why the frostthrower is corruption exclusive?
If so, can you also make an crimson alternative?

And... Done!
Here's a sprite for:
Living Wood Javelin *
Living Wood Javelin.png

5 throwing damage, pierces thrice, 33/1
index.php
@

Easy-to-access throwing weapon for fighting hordes of enemies and good for throwing playthroughs, also allows for more living wood content. Deals less damage than cactus shuriken but pierces more.

*I know it's a half resprite, but I have done my best on it!
[doublepost=1505926030,1505925934][/doublepost]I see you want to add it to your mod, I have a little suggestion: Could you give the frostthrower blue particles in stead of orange? It would make more sense and give it a cooler effect.

All demonite recipes are interchangeable with crimtane bars. Thanks for the cool new sprites! Also, the frostthrower will have blue particles.

Yay! TY! I can assure you it will give the frostthrower a cool and original touch!
[doublepost=1505937210,1505937176][/doublepost]I am making the grenade gun now!
[doublepost=1505937260][/doublepost]
Yay! TY! I can assure you it will give the frostthrower a cool and original touch!

It will probably be finished tommorow, but I got the framework! The colors will be bone kind off colors.

[doublepost=1505937260][/doublepost]

It will probably be finished tommorow, but I got the framework! The colors will be bone kind off colors.
OK. By the way, if you hit "edit" and remove the [doublepost] stuff then it won't show up. It's a bit annoying to read when you post several times in quick succession and there's 5 [doublepost=1505937210,1505937176][/doublepost]s.

Ok, but I have a suggestion, could you also add a early-game repeater, magic gun and placeable weapon?
A repeater is a glorified bow that generally has a high fire rate but slightly lower damage, but I might do some. Not sure what you mean by placeable weapon: do you mean like the cannon? There's the snowball cannon for that. Do you mean like the Space Gun for magic gun? There's probably a reason you can't get lasers so early on in the game.

Back
Top Bottom