Early game masterpieces

Tyro

Steampunker
Many of the builds featured here require resources not available near the beginning of the game - pearlwood, mechanisms, temple traps, etc. This thread is for showcasing what you can do with basic, easily obtained materials.

GUIDELINES:
  • Nothing that requires a boss fight or smashing orbs/hearts, with the exception of King Slime (since you can cheese him with a rope very early on). This means no mechanisms, no meteorite/dungeon bricks/obsidian/hellstone, etc. It also means no planter boxes.
  • Normal or expert mode, either is fine.
  • Dungeon shelves and books are allowed, as they can be raided from the upper levels. Other dungeon furniture is not.
  • Fishing rewards are allowed, so long as the quest in question is doable within the given boundaries (so no hardmode-only items).
  • Exceptions made for small amounts of non-integral content (so you don't have to destroy your automatic door or replace all your paintings in order to submit a build).
I'll post some pictures later when I'm on my desktop. Show me what you can do!

[Edit 11 May 2020:] This video is very relevant to the thread topic.

Last edited:
West facing guard tower and moat. Aerial access if you come in at the right angle, no pedestrian gate because I don't have access to actuators for a drawbridge yet. Designed so you can easily lob grenades into the moat (just deep enough to impede jump height).
Capture 2016-07-17 10_21_52.png

Fake well, entrance to inner keep. The world's default spawn point is on top of the platforms at the bottom, between the torches / centered on the rope. The chests there are for specialized equipment (bezoar, ice skates, etc), ammo & explosives, consumables (potions mainly, but also torches and rope and so on), and overflow (for when I need to dump now & sort later).
Capture 2016-07-17 10_36_21.png

That's pretty cool. I've never really made a proper "fort" like that. Just a slight quibble on the requirements, it is possible to get dungeon brick and hellstone without killing bosses or breaking orbs/hearts using a reaver shark.

That's pretty cool. I've never really made a proper "fort" like that. Just a slight quibble on the requirements, it is possible to get dungeon brick and hellstone without killing bosses or breaking orbs/hearts using a reaver shark.
I'd forgotten about that. I would consider that cheating in this context, but you're right that it was an oversight.

A full view of the central shaft, with spiral stair and false wellhouse entrance. I based the stair off of the tower of a winter castle I found through a Google image search (2nd image); it appears to be from the old Terraria Online forums, so unfortunately I can't give attribution unless someone steps forward.

Spiral stair (9-11 wide) & central shaft with false wellhouse.png

Winter Castle.png

I added banners on the insides of the doors to prevent incursions during the Blood Moon. You can still open them by facing outward, as can NPC's. (Brown-painted Omega banners from a pyramid, lime colored dynasty lantern. I might dye the platforms gray to blend into the stone of the wall.)

[Edit:] Gray didn't look good; I switched them to boreal wood.

Capture 2016-07-22 13_33_11.png

Last edited:
Alternate well house with no banners or dynasty lamp (both of which can be hard to come by). The only thing there you can't get early on is the pumpkin - the stairs are the hardest, being hammered dungeon platforms.

Capture 2016-07-22 14_42_54.png

Last edited:
I added banners on the insides of the doors to prevent incursions during the Blood Moon. You can still open them by facing outward, as can NPC's. (Brown-painted Omega banners from a pyramid, lime colored dynasty lantern. I might dye the platforms gray to blend into the stone of the wall.

[Edit:] Gray didn't look good, I switched them to boreal wood.

View attachment 129200
Personally I think it would look better if the banners didn't touch the floor. That always looks kind of cramped to me.

Back
Top Bottom