Other easier item searching system

Godley

Skeletron Prime
i'm not sure about the testers, but i find looking into a bunch of chests for 4-5 minutes just to find some day bloom very annoying.
i would like some kind of search, so that when i type in the name of a certain object, it automatically checks nearby chests and if this item exists, allow you to take it.
if it doesn't feel enough, a good idea would to allow items of the same category to pop up(e.g fire gauntlet when you type in 'fire hand')

That would require quite a lot of work to implement, especially when the rather simple solution is properly organising your chests, or simply remembering where you put what. ;)

You can name chests, so if you name one chests "Plants" and only put plants and seeds in there, and you do that for every different group of item (ores and bars, gems, blocks, weapons), you should not have any problem finding what you're looking for.

There's a mod that lets you search chests for items as long as NPCs are nearby (to prevent cheating), but it would certainly be handy in vanilla.

That would require quite a lot of work to implement, especially when the rather simple solution is properly organising your chests, or simply remembering where you put what. ;)

You can name chests, so if you name one chests "Plants" and only put plants and seeds in there, and you do that for every different group of item (ores and bars, gems, blocks, weapons), you should not have any problem finding what you're looking for.
however, the whole point of chests are that you could empty everything to have a empty inventory, and that process shouldn't take 5 minutes for each emptying(why do you think the 'put all in chest' function exists?).

however, the whole point of chests are that you could empty everything to have a empty inventory, and that process shouldn't take 5 minutes for each emptying(why do you think the 'put all in chest' function exists?).

As they say, a stitch in time saves nine.

If you choose the quick and easy option to deposit all your items (which is not 'the whole point' of chests), the remaining mess is for you to sort out. If you take your time to properly organise your chests, you'll find finding what you're looking for to be much faster.

Simply because you can deposit all does not mean you have to.

I'd rather prever to use the "Quick Stack to nearby chests" so all items will only be deposted in chests where that item is already present. Works much more efficient and it also organise them already as well.

That way you can keep your meaning of the 'whole point of chests' and stay organised.

I'd rather prever to use the "Quick Stack to nearby chests" so all items will only be deposted in chests where that item is already present. Works much more efficient and it also organise them already as well.

That way you can keep your meaning of the 'whole point of chests' and stay organised.
but still, when you need to put an accessory into a chest, you couldn't expect it to stack into neat stacks or anything, same goes with weapons and other stuff that will only be obtained once, like illegal gun parts.
i'm not saying your's is a bad idea or anything, just that if an item search exists, it will be truly useful.

So how does the game differentiate which chests can be searched vs those to exclude? One way would be to tag them as they're placed by the player. This info can be saved in the world data by saving the player ID followed by a list of tagged chest coordinates. Similarly when a chest is removed, remove it from these tagged lists as well. Shouldn't be a problem with bloating unless it's a heavily trafficked public server, but even then it's just player IDs and lists of coordinates so I doubt there's much of a performance impact.

Dan't forget multiplayer/teams - for example if I'm playing with my buddies building a shared base, it would be a hassle for all of us to have to tag every single chest individually. On the other hand in a PvP world you won't want everyone to be able to see everything the moment they reach a chest.

One way to alleviate this would be to expand the search feature to include access management, to let players update search rights. "Allow player X to also search chests that I can search." But what about revocation? When a player leaves the team? When you're no longer friends or just want to remove them from searching your chests for whatever reason? What if they tagged a chest manually themselves previously and it's also on your shared list, and you attempt to revoke it?

-
Or maybe instead of tagging by ID, perhaps tag by team colour - when a chest is placed, you get the option of tagging it with a specific team. Only players on that team can search those chests. So you can have 6 red team chests and 6 blue team chests, with a bunch of other individual non-affiliated chests. This is much simpler, and still allows for different teams access to different chests.

This only seems simple because there's more going on in the back end that needs to be considered.

edit: me no words good

Last edited:
Easiest way to check would be only search in chests placed 15 blocks away from the player, or closer.
Due to the fact that we can move around while the menu is opened, we can walk around to check each chest while not gaving us too much of an advantage for accessing faraway chests, since opening this up and galloping around underground basically makes you a sitting duck to the enemies.
Also, you have great grammmer.
[doublepost=1533545959,1533545694][/doublepost]Remember, this is for storage, not telekinesis

That would be kinda cool, but I think that using that feature would take longer than picking up the item when all items are sorted.
And with mods, just use Magic Storage. It's fabulous.

That would be kinda cool, but I think that using that feature would take longer than picking up the item when all items are sorted.
And with mods, just use Magic Storage. It's fabulous.
for you, maybe.
For someone with 6-7 chests lying around like me, this is 100 times better.
And I agree, Magic storage is fabulous.

Back
Top Bottom