NPCs & Enemies Eater of Worlds is impossible on Expert

Cool_Dude

Terrarian
I fully understand that Expert mode is supposed to be for only the most skilled of players, but honestly, Eater of Worlds need to be changed. My friends and I were making some good progress on our expert mode world; Eye of Cthulhu and King Slime go down in a matter of minutes with little to no deaths on our part. Our weapons and armor are about what you would expect at our point in the game (War axe of the night, mini-shark, space gun with meteor armor, etc. [I even managed to snag a slime staff early on by pure luck]) But now that we're at Eater of Worlds, no matter how hard we try and how well we prepare with potions and a good arena, the boss fight seems to be nearly impossible. I've read that the Vile Spit doing so much damage may be a bug (since it's copied over from the Corruptor's vile spit), but if this choice was an intentional one than it's also quite the questionable one. I'm not trying to brag at all, but we're not bad at the game. We've dominated normal mode countless times (as well as Moon Lord on expert mode w/ maxed characters) and we figured we would give expert mode a shot only to find that even with 4 people with really decent armor/weapons for our point in the game, Eater of Worlds is able to kill all of us in less than 5 seconds every single time with that accursed vile spit. Again, I understand that expert mode is for true experts and that people have found ways to cheese the fight with slime mounts and such, but EoW is only the second boss in the game and I feel as though the difficulty should scale a bit better. We haven't taken on Skeletron yet, but I assume that he's not even as awful as that vile-spitting pain in the :red: on expert mode.

TL;DR Eater of Worlds on Expert kills us in less than 5 seconds every time even with good preparation, and I can't possibly see how people have completed it without completely cheesing the fight or spending hours and hours trying over and over again (which goes from intense to tedious really quickly). I feel like the Vile Spit needs to be nerfed if the developers plan on letting us have a good time and advance with the game as it's supposed to be done.

The Eater was sorta easy for me and my friends. Just gotta dodge the spit with some sorta high platforms. Ditch the Slime Staff as it's hurting you more than it's helping you, and use the Slime mount.

Ditch the Slime Staff as it's hurting you more than it's helping you

God no, the Slime actually is very effective against the Eater of Worlds.

The key thing here with this boss is mainly evasion. Do not even try to face it in a chasm. I'm not talking about going so high on the surface that it can't hit you, by the way. Also, use the slime mount. Not necessarily to abuse it offensive capabilities, but use its high vertical speed for evasion and also use it to block some of the vile spit.

I do find it a bit odd that the vile spit does over 100 damage on multiplayer in comparison to 40-50 odd in single. Nevertheless, a friend and I had little issues taking down more than ten of them.

War axe of the night? Doesn't that require shadow scales
Edit: also me and my friend did an expert play through, we have killed moon lord now but at eater of worlds he died almost instantly from the vile spit so I had to solo it. I was using full meteor armour with space gun and I killed him easy? I don't see how your having trouble

Reforge your equipment, brew potions, get good gear and build a small arena. If this doesn't work for you then simply farm some Medusas 'till you get a "Medusa Head".

Evasion is key in Expert Mode. I don't think the Slime Mount is that fast. Just use the shield and boots for sprinting (hermes, flurry, spectre, etc.). I used The Ball o' Hurt to kill him. Pretty pathetic for an expert boss. If you fight him on the surface, he spits more. Maybe make an arena underground.

Evasion is key in Expert Mode. I don't think the Slime Mount is that fast. Just use the shield and boots for sprinting (hermes, flurry, spectre, etc.). I used The Ball o' Hurt to kill him. Pretty pathetic for an expert boss. If you fight him on the surface, he spits more. Maybe make an arena underground.
The recommendation of the Slime Mount was about cheesing the fight with the Slime Mounts "stomp" ability.

Vile Spit is really easy to dodge compared to Skeletron's skulls and the Queen Bee's stingers. I know it sounds really patronising, but if you think EoW is impossible, you should seriously consider going back to normal mode, because it's only going downhill from here on.

Ok usually i'd give you advice but now im gonna ask: how.

Vile Spit is, like the person above me said, the easiest of attacks to deal with. You have a space gun, a piercing and fast weapon, which you can shoot through the vile spit. Not only that but all the arena you need is an arena big enough off the ground so he cant touch you much and so you can run around. You litteraly have one of the best pre-hardmode piercing items, and you cant deal with EoW. I dont really understand man, even with multiplayer added boss health EoW is still a weak as glass enemy to take down.

EoW was really easy for my friends and I.

Now if we're gonna talk about an impossible boss on Expert.... Wall of Flesh would like a few words....

A huge thank you to everyone that read my post and gave actual advice instead of the equivalent of "Oh it was easy, you're just bad." The problem was that we were fighting the Eater of Worlds above ground, and even with an arena and proper preparation the Vile Spit was given free range to cut through us like butter. After going underground and setting up an arena down there, we were able to beat the boss after a brief struggle. The slime mount really does help. We were able to defeat him before the new update came out, but I am pleased to see that the developers took the fans' criticism to heart and nerfed the vile spit in this latest update. It's great developers and fans working together that make this one of my favorite gaming communities, even if there is a bit of tension every now and then. But hey, you can't please everybody.

We were able to beat Skeletron afterwards without too much trouble, and we're moving on to Wall of Flesh soon. I'm really enjoying expert mode so far, besides that small hiccup.

Believe me when I say there is never enough preparation in expert mode. Equip better accessories combinations or weapons depending on the reason of your failures. Improve your arena accordingly too. There really is more than just get X tier weapon then kill Y tier boss, unlike normal mode, you'll have to primarily focus on the boss's weaknesses and make them your own strength, for once since fighting EoW in a chasm happens to be normally much harder (and vile spits now make it even more so), it calls for a reshaping of the arena to remove every advantage EoW gains from it (open space, high ground for no tiles to climb on, covers for spits).
Next spike you'll find will most likely be Plantera, which can be absolute pain without the proper arena.

Believe me when I say there is never enough preparation in expert mode. Equip better accessories combinations or weapons depending on the reason of your failures. Improve your arena accordingly too. There really is more than just get X tier weapon then kill Y tier boss, unlike normal mode, you'll have to primarily focus on the boss's weaknesses and make them your own strength, for once since fighting EoW in a chasm happens to be normally much harder (and vile spits now make it even more so), it calls for a reshaping of the arena to remove every advantage EoW gains from it (open space, high ground for no tiles to climb on, covers for spits).
Next spike you'll find will most likely be Plantera, which can be absolute pain without the proper arena.

That spike just makes the Golem that much less satisfying...

Back
Top Bottom