Texture Pack Editing Dyes/Hair Dyes with a texture pack?

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
Is this possible? I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere, and I cannot seem to find any "dye" files.

It sadly isn't possible, dyes and hair dyes use shaders instead of image files. Pretty sure nobody would have the patience to make separate sprites for all dye variations of all armor sets...

Lookiŋ at ðe game files it seems like what you want to change is PixelShader.xnb or maybe ScreenShader.xnb in Terraria\Content. I þink TileShader.xnb is for paint.

If you have Terraria on Steam you can look at it in your library and click ðe gear icon. Hover your mouse over "Manage" and select "Browse local files". Ðen open ðe folder called "Content" and you'll see a file called PixelShader.xnb. I þink you can open it wiþ TConvert.

You can't edit most dyes with resource packs -- all of the shader xnb files are compiled code, not images, and I'm pretty sure they aren't checked when resource packs are loaded either.
You can edit a few of the newer ones by replacing their color / noise maps, which I'll include a list of down below.
Your best bet would be to make a mod, but assuming you haven't coded before, it'd be learning both two programming languages (C# & HLSL) and tModLoader's API, which is a bit much for replacing a dye.

Twilight Dye, Twilight Hair Dye, Phase Dye, Gel Dye, Pink Gel Dye, Skiphs' Blood, Bloodbath Dye, Fogbound Dye, Shifting Sands Dye, Shifting Pearlsands Dye, Nebula Dye, Vortex Dye, Stardust Dye: All of these dyes use Terraria's default noise texture (at Images/Misc/noise) to create semi-randomness in their effects. Changing this texture would change the randomness, but not the effects.
Prismatic Dye: Images/Extra_156. This texture controls the color of the effect. Note that this texture also controls the Empress of Light's rainbow effects, as well as a few other Empress-related items.

Back
Top Bottom