Serious EEEEEK

Want to be even more scared? The large ones are the ones that have the least chance to kill you - it's some of the smallest species you should fear - the ones you'll usually not see. Those have more potent venom than most of the bigger ones.

I used to be arachnophobic but then I used the best therapy - crushing then with heavy objects is incredibly cathartic.

Nowadays, my encounters with spiders go usually like this:

Spider: RAWR!
Me: *Boot.*

People shriek at garden spiders, and here I was two years ago in the UAE looking at one and thinking, "...Is that a Redback? Huh, guess I need to call them exterminators because they said to do that".

I actually like spiders.

There's this spider who lives on my wall, and I named him Spiderbro. He helps me sleep.

I also use any kind of spider pet in any video game that it's a thing, such as the pet and staff in Terraria, the dwarven spider in Skyrim, and others, all of which I name after the glorious Spiderbro.

"Tries to play Terraria on console, spider walks across screen" ... You serious spider...I'm trying to play here..."leaves spider to crawl on screen" (the next day) "starts playing Terraria again, and after a couple of minutes, the same spider crawls on screen again" nooooo stop it spider, I'm trying to explore the dungeon for paladins hammer "leaves spider again" (next day again) "starts playing Terraria again, spider starts crawling across screen AGAIN" its starting to be kinda cute to watch it crawl across the screen while I play, its pretty much entertaining to watch it.

upload_2017-5-9_12-3-35.png

[doublepost=1494346488,1494346469][/doublepost]and this thing

I see spiders as guardians. If you are not allowed to kill any bugs (including house ones) they will do it for you and they have the prime authority to do so. Unless they absolutely intrude they are welcome in my ceiling corners, behind my furnature, and on my porch. Especially in my garden.

In bonus I only clear webs if I am sure the spider is done with it. To prevent mess and allow other spiders to live there.

That particular spider probably came to you for a reason. Don't kill them.

Is it weird that I actually love spiders?
Nope, not at all. I love them as well and don't mind them both outside and inside my house (within reason, I don't want whole armies of them parading through my living room).
They kill mosquitoes and other annoying insects, so I have no idea why people dislike them so much.

Admittedly, one particular spider did freak me out. I opened my shed door once, looked to the ground and saw this shiny, gray-metallic spider sitting on the floor. It was the biggest spider I had ever seen. I chased it off with my broom. Afterwards I looked up to the ceiling and saw this huge open cocoon hanging from the ceiling.
Gross. Definitely not the type I want inside my house.

Some spiders are cool! If my family allowed it, I'd have a decent sized (non-venomous) spider in a large tank as a pet. Then again, I live in Australia, where we are knee-deep in spiders, snakes and scorpions everytime we leave the house. (May or may not be exaggerated. Not coincidentally, I'd also have a snake and scorpion as a pet if the family allowed it.) I guess when your spiders can grow to the size of dinner plates and you're fishing out redback spiders the size of your hand from your pool every other week, you get used to them.

But you can't get complacent either. I lifted a rock out of my garden once and saw there was a redback spider just millimetres from my finger... (Redback spiders are a relative of the Black Widow spider, in case you're more familiar with those. And redback spiders are not the most venomous spider in Australia.)

Back
Top Bottom