Game Mechanics Elemental Damage/Better Base Damage

TheAverageCommoner

Eye of Cthulhu
Was playing some JRPGs last night.
Kind of got me thinking about elemental damage towards enemies in Terraria. Since Terraria has such a diverse set of enemies.
I think of it like this ;
If the enemy is immune to the damage, the base damage stays the same and doesn't decrease.
If the enemy is weak towards the damage, then the base increases.
In concept, this would be frustrating, due to having to see one sword that's weaker than the other one, do more damage to a certain enemy.
That's when I thought of having it implemented into reforging.
You would get a random element symbol for each time you reforge.
Say I have the Excalibur, and I'm mad that it doesn't do good damage towards a certain type of enemy like say, the Night's Edge towards natural enemies, like a slime or a flying fish. I can reforge this to do more Evil DMG, and I'll be more satisfied with it.
Now, I'm not trying to replace the reforging system as a whole. This would be more on par with it. You wouldn't need a certain reforge to get the elemental base damage you want.
However, if you do manage to get the legendary reforge, you do have a chance to get the legendary element damage, which is basically all the element damages jam-packed into one.
Every weapon will come with it's corresponding element and can be reforged to whatever element the user may desire.
Eg. Exalibur = Holy DMG, Terra Blade = Nature DMG
I thought of this more-than-likely flawed equation.
Base Damage Divided By 100 multiplied by Elemental Base Defence (Dependent on Element) Add to Base Damage.
Let's use the # symbol as the division symbol, since my phone doesn't have the division symbol.
Let's say... I got a sword that does 30 base damage.
30 # 100 = 0.3
Robot comes up to me.
He has only 80 towards electrical dmg. (Note: The 80 is used to multiply the 0.3; doesn't actually increase his defence towards electricity)
0.3 x 80 = 24.
24 + 30 = 54.
I don't expect it to be that powerful. But you know what I mean.
Electrical DMG > Robo DEF
Fire DMG > Undead DEF
Water DMG > Fire DEF
Nature DMG > Undead DEF
Evil DMG > Nature DEF
Holy DMG > Evil DEF
Legendary DMG > Every DEF (as explained.)
I only need to set a common number.
I don't expect this to be as advanced as say, electrical damage does 4% more damage than holy damage that does only 2% damage.
Just like 2 is greater than 1 and 2 is equal to 2 kind of stuff. I find it hard to explain.
More will be explained and this will be updated more, Yada Yada.

Any ideas that maybe can help? Suggestions?

This is an interesting concept, but I think that it's to late to implement something like this in a game so far in development. Sorry...

There are already some damage types, so why not utilize them more? Like enemies weak to ranged damage etc.

This sounds like type matchups from pokemon. I have a few suggestions on what is weak to what: corruption/hallow weak to each other, desert/ice weak to each other, cyber/crimson, etc. Normal metals are completely neutral, any themed weapon is resistant to itself.

This sounds like type matchups from pokemon. I have a few suggestions on what is weak to what: corruption/hallow weak to each other, desert/ice weak to each other, cyber/crimson, etc. Normal metals are completely neutral, any themed weapon is resistant to itself.
I love how the entire Terraria is okay with the Cyber concept.
On topic, yes. Elemental Damage is a thing I've ever wanted in the game. But, instead of the classic 2X damage against a foe, I suggest like a 10% damage boost (or 10% damage penalty), just to not break the game

Yeah, this is the idea I am sort of aiming for.
I love how the entire Terraria is okay with the Cyber concept.
On topic, yes. Elemental Damage is a thing I've ever wanted in the game. But, instead of the classic 2X damage against a foe, I suggest like a 10% damage boost (or 10% damage penalty), just to not break the game
As stated, yes, this kind of elemental damage will not double the damage.
I kind of got a good number round up that won't make any weapon to OP to use with the element base damages, ignoring the coin gun, of course.
Example Base Damage Number # 100 x 20. <-- (Base Elemental Defence Number for all-round elements)

Back
Top Bottom