tModLoader Elemental Unleash - Bluemagic's Endgame Bosses Mod

I think if the mod needs any criticism, it's that there's a very stark lack of clarity in terms of how the bosses work.
I definitely agree about this. Once I have enough time, my next goal is to try to make their mechanics more clear in-game.

Terraria's bosses already function similarly to a bullet hell, but they don't have a DPS cap, and the most complex interactions they have with the player are increasing stats for leaving their biome, or occasionally being invincible with an obvious animation to indicate this invincibility. Think about the Moon Lord's eyes, which close when they can't be damaged.
I disagree about this part. The projectiles of most bosses are either too hard to see or move too fast to reasonably dodge, so it becomes more of an endurance test, than a bullet hell where you need to dodge stuff.

Everything in Terraria is gear based, from DPS to speed and even sometimes health. Your mod includes abilities that functionally ignore equipment, meaning your bosses could theoretically be battled at any time as long as you can do enough damage to be practical. It seems like you also intend the player to be using your mod's mount, which REALLY invalidates the idea that gear matters, because at that point not even movement bonuses are relevant.
The only boss that completely ignores your gear is the final Spirit of Purity Rematch. I mostly made that boss as an afterthought and for fun (since I really enjoy bullet hell), and it definitely is not nearly in the Terraria style in any way. Since it's the final boss, it's assumed you already have the best equipment in the game in order to have defeated all the previous bosses.

Since your bosses don't follow Terraria's internal logic, it's very important to be hugely obvious when you're changing the rules.
I agree here; the biggest offender is probably the Abomination, I'm still trying to think of a way to make that more clear.
If a boss arrives at a DPS cap and can not take additional damage, you should include an animation, like a barrier or some magical effect, to indicate the change. I notice text pops up during the Spirit of Chaos, but a visual indicator will help make it more obvious.
I really like your idea here. Text actually pops up during every boss with a DPS cap, but a barrier-type effect would be so much better. I'll try to include that in the next update.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the Abomination, but when a using a ranger character it seemed to take very little damage. I think I spent at least fifteen minutes floating around hell gently batting its health away. Someone in this thread suggested you had to be within the white sphere to deal damage properly, but that definitely wasn't indicated. If that's the case, remove that and make it possible to damage the boss from any range. There is no visual way to clearly tell the player that's how that works, so including it as a mechanic is just frustrating design. I HATED this boss because of how long its battle dragged on.
The only reason the Abomination fight is challenging is that you need to fight it while in between everything, so I definitely won't be removing that mechanic. I do definitely need to do a better job indicating how to damage it though (I've been stuck on this for a while).

I notice the Spirit of Chaos has a move where the entire screen flashes white and I die. Flavor text did appear, but I'd have to do a bit of testing to discern what the flavor text means. Please don't include unavoidable attacks. They're very cheesy and not any fun. In theory, I suspect I was supposed to stop attacking the boss when its flavor text arose - though I could be wrong because it is not clear - but in that case there are too many AoE attacks or summons and there's no way for me to avert the attack.
I thought the flavor text ("A protective sphere of white light has appeared") made it clear that the white sphere of light could protect you. I'm not sure what else I could do though; do you have any ideas? I've tried to make sparkling white spheres appear good throughout the mod (both for the Abomination and Spirit of Chaos). I agree that unavoidable attacks are not fun at all, which is why I will never ever add those; I enjoy dodging things, and I always need things to be possible to dodge.

Please don't give bosses the ability to attack a player after their health reaches zero. Fool me once, shame on you. I don't appreciate getting to the end of a boss just to get sucker-punched by a surprise last hit. I didn't fall for it twice, so the shame remains on you.
Probably bad design on my part, but I just wanted to be evil here :dryadnaughty:

Aside from that, the mod takes a related yet novel approach. The DPS cap will ensure good equipment can't make your bosses easier, which is arguably not in the proper spirit of the game, but the rewards are very powerful and there's pros and cons to this. It's good work, and I think it would be a lot more fun if you focus any future work on making the bosses more intuitive to the naked eye and basic logic. It's not that anyone's stupid, strictly speaking, but the boss fights put a person under pressure and it's hard to be calm and analytical with minor clues - and I often can't leave my eyes on a written sentence long enough to draw much from it when I'm trying to dodge a spinning laser.
Thanks for the feedback! I will put my best efforts into trying to make things more clear in the next update.

Also - and this isn't important, but it's worth thinking about - do you think that including DPS caps and other "anti-cheese" methods in your bosses makes them internally pointless? The spirit of chaos is post-Moonlord, so if we assume your mod is the only one I'm using, what's the point in beating him twice? He'll be just as hard the second time, and none of his or any of this mod's drops will make your bosses easier to battle. It's like I'm not even getting a reward unless I play Calamity and haven't beaten Yharon yet.
The anti-cheese methods are only really internally-pointless for the final Spirit of Purity Rematch. The DPS caps have been chosen so that you can't reasonably reach them if you're only using this mod. Even with the upgrades from the boss drops, you shouldn't be reaching the DPS cap. It's mostly to protect the end-game bosses from being absolutely destroyed by gear from other mods.

Another thought: don't fill the background with particles that look like enemy attacks. It's so hard to use my eyes to understand anything during the Spirit of Chaos. That boss could use a lot of polish and cleaning. It second phase also sucks to play, because I'm stuck waiting for it to take any actions and the whole battle is confusing enough as it is.
That's another thing I want to work on. I plan to teach myself about filters so I can fill the background with proper effects rather than confusing objects.

I thought the flavor text ("A protective sphere of white light has appeared") made it clear that the white sphere of light could protect you. I'm not sure what else I could do though; do you have any ideas?
I thought the flavor text was informing me the Spirit of Chaos was protecting itself with the sphere somehow. That's why I thought the answer might be to leave it alone, because maybe the sphere was bouncing damage back at me.

It could look a little tacky, but I was thinking maybe arrows pointing inward to the circle and the word "safety" written above it? It's not the kind of thing you see in Terraria, but that used to be really common in the old arcade games where your lives were quarters and it mattered for you to know what something was the first time. Otherwise it's a bit difficult because it's the only time you need to be inside a thing instead of away from it. Once you know how it works, it's actually a pretty cool idea.

For the abomination, I'm really not sure. I can appreciate what it does to increase the challenge of the boss, but I didn't realize that was what I had to do until after I'd beaten it once. I killed it with explosive damage, but very slowly - not sure how that works. Maybe it's checking the point of origin for the damage? Maybe I was only dealing damage while I was weaving around it and was incidentally in the proper range. Even a text prompt explicitly telling you this can be tough, because the text can be hard to catch if you're focused on avoiding projectiles.

Thanks for the response! I hope my criticism wasn't too sharp, and I appreciate the mod!

I think the boss Abomination needs a major re-balancing done on it, cause I'm nearing the point in my modded play through of the game to go against it and
all my attacks so far deals 0 damage.
How am I, or anyone, is suppose to beat a boss where all damage deals nothing?

I think the boss Abomination needs a major re-balancing done on it, cause I'm nearing the point in my modded play through of the game to go against it and
all my attacks so far deals 0 damage.
How am I, or anyone, is suppose to beat a boss where all damage deals nothing?
you need to be "inside of the field" to do any damage on the first phase.

i see a lot of complaints on difficulty for this mod (yes hello again terraria community, i'm back to :red: on your mods).

i've had a recent "break" from wow again so i decided why not give terraria mods another go, and up until the very last boss there wasn't anything of difficulty. i wish the entire mod pack was more designed like the last boss and then take it up a bit further with reducing how many "lives" you have which honestly just translates to stopped regeneration and it deals 10% of your health, and a phase heals you for 30% life. :dryadindifferent:

damage caps can also be ignored in various ways, and in some regards immunities too if you're really looking to be a pleb outgearing bosses. i liked the design of both purity bosses. if you get hit by something the boss will more likely use that attack however it doesn't really do it that much more often i felt. it's a very nice way of saying learn the fight and what one specifically faster until you realize you can just face tank the weakest ability it does since nothing is 1 hitting you and if you're using other mods you can kinda just tank it through healing but more so it doesn't really feel like it changes attack patterns when i did it.

if you really want to make a non-cheesable boss you simply design it around vanilla, and your mod pack only. if people use other items from other mods to kill it then it's not a legit kill as it's not the intended way. that's how i've viewed all my playthroughs and everyone on youtube who uses these :red:ing crazy items, and items from the boss they're killing to do it then say "oh lol we did it" when they're literally in cheat mode.

not a very long playthrough either unfortunately. i would like to revisit this mod pack when there's like 10 more bosses :dryadpassionate: since drew fked off from working on calamity there's not really a bossing mod to look forward to unless i make it myself and if i did that no one would want to play it, and i'd have done em all already as i made em! :dryadcry:

in terms of difficulty (as you know calamity) if i made one it'd be cry->die->autismo->fox my life ; as a sorta scale of what i'm looking for in a bossing mod :dryadwink: i didn't record this one since it like triples the time to go through it (maybe that's why it felt so short) but yeah... hope to see more.

i'm not sure how many times this has been explained, but how exactly does purity work (first fight)?

I've been facepalming against him multiple times because he just seems to kill me with crazy powerful moves.

Hold the phone.
As I was writing this (and checking ingame to test something) it looks like this boss is coded to eff you up if you're cheating in infinite hit points, or something. After failing to him, miserably, multiple times, I tried to set my health values to a static amount and could never get past the phase where he starts using the black bars. These bars inflict the skull debuff which, near as I can tell, kills you if your health changes or something. Is that right?

Btw I beat him as I was writing this, too. Health bar disappeared and his fight continued. Are you expected to keep dodging during this death phase or what?

Awesome fight.

i'm not sure how many times this has been explained, but how exactly does purity work (first fight)?

I've been facepalming against him multiple times because he just seems to kill me with crazy powerful moves.

Hold the phone.
As I was writing this (and checking ingame to test something) it looks like this boss is coded to eff you up if you're cheating in infinite hit points, or something. After failing to him, miserably, multiple times, I tried to set my health values to a static amount and could never get past the phase where he starts using the black bars. These bars inflict the skull debuff which, near as I can tell, kills you if your health changes or something. Is that right?

Btw I beat him as I was writing this, too. Health bar disappeared and his fight continued. Are you expected to keep dodging during this death phase or what?

Awesome fight.
after "defeating the spirit of purity" the last message will have an last attack that you must survive in order to "win" the fight, but before you face spirit of chaos please check the video of blueshie explaining how the fight works (page 2) because theres a mechanic in the entire fight that is not explained on the battle itself, so check this to avoid more than 10-20 deaths from this attack only before asking in the thread.

Last edited:
after "defeating the spirit of purity" the last message will have an last attack that you must survive in order to "win" the fight, but before you face spirit of chaos please check the video of blueshie explaining how the fight works (page 2) because theres a mechanic in the entire fight that is not explained on the battle itself, so check this to avoid more than 10-20 deaths from this attack only before asking in the thread.

You got something against me asking in the thread!??!?!
I will take a look at the explanation.
Thanks

So I've been reading up on the strategies for chaos and ????? (not quite unlocked all the stuff needed to do these guys yet) but I have a question.

What's the reward for beating the final boss? If its a spoiler could someone please share with a spoiler tag? I recently finished the Calamity Superboss (though I had to cheat because I suck... >.> <.<) and am gearing up to do this final set.

Banging my head against my keyboard trying to beat Chaos.

Actually thinking of coding a weapon in to instantly kill whatever it hits (hardcoded to reduce target HP value to 0 on hit) just to beat it.... lol

With pure determination and the blessing of St.Jameson I have successfully beaten all the bosses in this mod.

They said it couldn't be done. They said, "Leqesai! You're NUTS to try and beat that stuff!"

Well I proved you all wrong!

I cheated the hell out of Terraria and pwned the unpwnable cheatproof boss! BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I bask in the glory of l33t godmode and that spiffy heart charm!

Love the mod. Even if ????? Is WAY beyond my skill level without crazy cheating.

Because of all the people tearing every hair out of their body due to the bosses in this mod, maybe it would be useful to add a config to turn the DPS caps on/off?

The damage cap on the bosses actually really cool. Specially with those after abomination minions... Damn they can kill most of the things really quick when you have 2k summon damage and 15 of them and they use their special attack... Powerful indeed.
Anyways, thanks for making a mod like this. Haven't rematched with ??? yet but I'm sure it is as good as spirit of chaos.

I heard about this mod's superbosses, I took a peek, and...
I think I found a challenge I can find amusing
(and I'm glad I'm good at bullet hells)

but before I jump straight in the miasma, could the people that have tried the mod give me some tips?

I heard about this mod's superbosses, I took a peek, and...
I think I found a challenge I can find amusing
(and I'm glad I'm good at bullet hells)

but before I jump straight in the miasma, could the people that have tried the mod give me some tips?

I'm not too bad at bullet hells either but Terraria just doesn't have the precise movement (even with the orb from this mod) necessary to do ????. I did it about 100 times and there is just way too much going on. I'm not sure if its because the attacks aren't choreographed well enough or what but its just an insane fight.

But don't get me wrong. I understand it is supposed to be the ultimate challenge. But here's the issue. Its the ultimate challenge, but it benefits from nothing you've done in the game to get to that point. This is the biggest disappointment in the boss. Everything kills you in one hit.

I cheated and beat it because I feel it is just not possible without god-level skill. As someone who is maybe mid to high tier at games (but far from god tier) I really don't see myself ever getting to a point where I can beat that boss legitimately.

Having said that. I love the first purity fight. It is easily my favorite boss in Terraria. The chaos fight is okay but significantly harder (still not able to do it consistently).

Back
Top Bottom