Emoticon Creator

darthmorf

Treederator
Staff member
logo.png

In the summer of 2015, @Jestex and @VOT released the first version of their Emoticon Creator, a desktop app that allowed you to create your own custom emotes that looked like the ones made for the forums :)), :dryadgrin:, :merchantconfused:, :nursewink: etc). Sadly, with the passing of Jestex in 2017 and the disappearance of VOT, the project was all but abandoned, and the original Emoticon Creator source code was lost.

However, with the blessing of the TCF staff, and as a close friend of Jestex, I have brought this project back to life, in the form of a web-app!

It is developed in pure HTML5 and JavaScript, and should work on pretty much any platform that has a modern, up to date web browser. You can find the source code on Github here.

upload_2019-1-20_15-5-34.png

upload_2019-1-20_15-7-14.png

upload_2019-1-20_15-8-59.png

If you use this program to create an emote, please credit the tool by linking to this thread or the site itself! Thanks!

Note: This thread is the original one created by Jestex, which was transferred to me in order to look after it and keep download links up to date. As such, most of the early comments are in response to the original thread, which I have included in a spoiler below along with a download link to the old version.

The wait is finally over! @Jestex and @VOT present you the Emoticon Creator 2.

Features:
  • With this program you will be able to create your own TCF styled emoticons at ease without having any experience in spriting.
  • In the future it will have all of the Terraria's hairstyles and beards (Currently has 20 hairstyles and 5 beards to choose from)
  • In the future it will have all of the Terraria's hats and helmets (Currently has +20 hats)
  • In the future it will have all of the Terraria's accessories that can be place on head and it will have custom ones too. (Currently has 10)
oCqYTJc.png

Downloads (Latest 2.1.0)
Licencing:
  • You may not use the sprite files in any way apart from the intended use with the program.
  • You may use the sprites you make as emoticons, however do not claim that they are your own.
  • The program uses a GPLv3 licence.

Last edited:
Emoticon Creator 2.0.1
-Bug fixes

Emoticon Creator 2.0
-Program has been completely remade

Emoticon Creator 1.21 (Mac):
- Mac version is now available, thanks to Wineskin. Experimental, might eat your children.

Emoticon Creator 1.21:
- Includes 10 new sprites.

Emoticon Creator 1.2.0.1:
- Fixed updater.
- Emergency sprite fixes.

Emoticon Creator 1.2:
- BRAND NEW USER INTERFACE!
- Easier, revamped selection using buttons.
- New sprites.
- Automatic updater.

Emoticon Creator 1.1:
- User interface improvements.
- 'Random' functionality
- Ability to enlarge the preview of the sprite.

Emoticon Creator 1.0:
- Initial Release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Even though I'm not a fan of the language, something about the fact it was made in python seems pretty cool to me (I don't see many full-gui applications in PHP, Lua or Ruby).

-- That is, not to mention the awesome images to use.

Last edited:
OMG, thank you so much, I made these little fellows using your masterpiece!:

0Rldkrb.png
MiiRLvR.png
zxvZTQj.png
lvg9P7n.png
h8VzfIM.png
qYKyduo.png
2RJbnyP.png
pWLT7Pp.png
6WDdF3M.png

You my good sir, have made something awesome!

(And yes, I am aware of the fact that some look the same, it's only because the bandana).

The wait is finally over! I and @VOT present you the Emoticon Creator.

Features:
  • With this program you will be able to create your own TCF styled emoticons at ease without having any experience in spriting.
  • In the future it will have all of the Terraria's hairstyles and beards (Currently has 20 hairstyles and 5 beards to choose from)
  • In the future it will have all of the Terraria's hats and helmets (Currently has +20 hats)
  • In the future it will have all of the Terraria's accessories that can be place on head and it will have custom ones too. (Currently has 10)
XIH7I1p.png

Downloads (Latest 1.21)
Note: Please re-download manually if you got 1.2
  • Dropbox (Windows) (Mirror) (1.21)
  • Mega (Windows) (Mirror) (1.21)
  • Mega (Mac) (Mirror) (1.21) !May not work! (The 50MB file size is due to an emulation layer)
  • GitHub (Mirror) (1.21)
  • Virustotal
  • Source code (GitHub)
Licencing:
  • You may not use the sprite files in any way apart from the intended use with the program.
  • You may use the sprites you make as emoticons, however do not claim that they are your own.
  • The program uses a GPLv3 licence.
PLEASE POST BUGS HERE
Somehow I can't download it! It says the file does not exist (Dropbox, Mega). What should I do?

You may wanna rotate the hats a bit, they look like they are being worn by people in the hood or somethin' .

JESTEX LIKED MY POST!!!! I'M DYING OF HAPPINESS!

Whoa.. this is pretty cool! Just tried it out, and it works good!
The only problem is, there are no animated emoticons - :sigh: ;) ;( :passionate: :D
So you maybe could implement that in the future.

Keep up the good work!
IXQ1T1J.png

EDIT: They are now in my signature! Just click the quote spoiler, and they'll be there, with credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you hate the fact that to use it you have to extract a billion files?
Did you want to tinker with it and mess around with the source code, but you don't know Python?
Did you, as a Mac user want to have an up-to-date version that works?
DID YOU WANT TO FLIP YOUR HATS?
DID YOU REQUEST ANIMATED EMOTICONS?

EMOTICON CREATOR 2.0.

COMING SOON™

Early mock-ups:
ZVWVVyN.png

#hype

Back
Top Bottom