Weapons & Equip Enchanted Mug!

DJFlare84

Mechanic
This idea is based on an original character of mine, and it starts with a new item: The "Enchanted Mug". It would ideally look like one of your typical, white porcelain coffee mugs.

An Enchanted Mug can be obtained from the Wizard after any of the Mecha bosses have been defeated. Much like the Harp and the Magic Tome, the Enchanted Mug does nothing by itself. It must be crafted into one of the following!

~ALL MUGS~
First, some general information about the various mugs.
All mugs will have both a left-click AND a right-click function.
Left-click will swing the mug out in front like a broadsword, and create a splash of liquid for additional reach, covering roughly the same distance as larger swords like Night's Edge. Each mug may also inflict a status debuff on targets depending on the mug.
Right-click will allow the player to sip what is inside the mug to gain a buff status for a limited time.
All mugs are considered magic weapons and will cost mana to swing (around 5) and use (explained as the mug magically refilling itself with liquid). The right-click function may require more mana to use (I'm thinking around 100) because of the buff effect.

~COFFEE MUG~
Requires Coffee Beans to craft, which may be obtained as a rare drop from random jungle plants in the jungle (or a specific new plant can be added), or a potential addition to the TRAVELLING MERCHANT'S inventory.
Taking a sip of Coffee will grant the "ALERT" status for 30 seconds, which adds a 20% chance to completely evade attacks (similar to the Black Belt accessory), and 10% increase to Ranged and Melee damage. Enemies that are hit by the coffee will be afflicted with SCALDING, which acts as a combination of CONFUSION and ON FIRE, and can be cured by jumping in water. Enemies afflicted by SCALDING will appear to have liquid dripping off of them and their palette will be shadowed a bit, as if burnt.

~COCOA MUG~
Requires Cocoa Beans to craft, which may be obtained as a rare drop from jungle trees (or a specific new tree can be added), or a potential addition to the TRAVELLING MERCHANT'S inventory (and Santa's, if obtained).
Taking a sip of Cocoa will grant the "SERENE" status for 30 seconds, which gives 15% ammo AND mana conservation (less mana used, chance to not consume ammo), and a 10% increase to Magic and Ranged damage. Like coffee, striking an enemy with Cocoa will inflict the SCALDING status.

~SOUP MUG~
Requires CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP to craft, which could be obtained by adding a new "chicken" critter and being able to obtain raw chicken from it, then combining it with hay, and a clay bowl at a furnace to make Chicken Noodle Soup. Alternatively, the TRAVELLING MERCHANT could have Chicken Noodle Soup in his inventory. On it's own, Chicken Noodle Soup would just grant the WELL FED buff.
Taking a sip of Soup will grant the "EMPOWERED" status for 30 seconds, which removes negative status afflictions and makes the player immune to them for the duration. It also grants a 10% increase to Magic and Melee damage. Like Coffee and Cocoa, striking an enemy with Soup will inflict the SCALDING status.

~CUP O' LAVA~ (inspired by a suggestion from Sgt. Cookie.)
Requires FIREBLOSSOM, OBSIDIAN and IRON to craft.
CUP O' LAVA is a HOT DRINK, and will inflict SCALDING like the others.
Taking a sip of CUP O LAVA will grant the MADE OF STONE status, which reduces overall damage by 5% and grants immunity to fire and lava effects (status afflictions AND environmental hazards). MADE OF STONE also grants immunity to knockback. Lasts 30 seconds.

~TERRA COLA~
A fizzy acidic drink requiring gel, waterleaf, ice blocks, and a "THE SECRET INGREDIENT" which can be purchased from the Travelling Salesman.
That deliciously acidic stuff you love in the red can, but now in a mug!
Unlike other mugs, this drink is always icy-cold and it's attacks will inflict a CHILLED debuff that weakens the attack power of afflicted enemies and also reduces their horizontal movement speed. CHILLED enemies will appear to have liquid dripping off of them and their palette will take on a brighter, slightly bluer tone.
Taking a sup of Terra Cola will grant the "JITTERY" status for 30 seconds, which increases movement speed, increases summon damage by 10%, and allows you to summon +1 minion and +1 sentry.

~ENERGY DRINK~ (Inspired by suggestions from Baconfry and Red H20.)
A simpler mug requiring only Dayblooms, Bottled Water and an Ice Block to craft.
Inflicts the CHILLED status like Terra Cola.
Taking a sip of energy drink will grant the "ENERGIZED" state, which increases one's movement speed for 30 seconds and also applies a general damage buff of 5%.

~CRIMSON BUFFALO~ (Inspired by a suggestion from JohnDrago2.)
An in-no-way-copyright-infringing drink with a totally unique slogan of "Gives you aerial propulsion!". Requires Dayblooms, Harpy feathers, and a block of ice.
Inflicts the CHILLED status like Terra Cola.
Taking a sip of Crimson Buffalo will grant 30 seconds of unlimited flight power.

No damage values listed because I can't honestly think of what they should be. Think of the buffs as a guideline of what the mugs should do and not a really solid value, either. Any suggestions to balance these will be welcome and taken into consideration.

I don't imagine there's a high demand for hot drinks that also function as weapons and buff spells, but there it is.

Last edited:
One of the most original ideas I've seen in quite a while. Will you consider Ultrasweet Soda or something like that, for pure movement speed?

Utterly fantastic idea. Very unique, and pretty funny. I only wish that there were different debuffs instead of just "scalding". Maybe something that makes mobs attack debuffed enemies, or something like that. Otherwise, support.

One of the most original ideas I've seen in quite a while. Will you consider Ultrasweet Soda or something like that, for pure movement speed?
Utterly fantastic idea. Very unique, and pretty funny. I only wish that there were different debuffs instead of just "scalding". Maybe something that makes mobs attack debuffed enemies, or something like that. Otherwise, support.
UPDATE: I added the Energy Drink, which inflicts a new status called "CHILLED". Like a combination of SLOW and whatever status ailment reduces attack power.

I KNOW
RED BULL
IT LETS YOU FLY

OTHER THEN THAT I SUPPORT
Nawww, I don't think I'll do that.

Completely by coincidence, though, I just came up with a totally original idea that is in no way resemblant of Red Bull, it's slogan or implied fantastical benefits. I'm sure we can all agree this is completely unique and original.

This idea is great. Simple, fun and VERY in tune with Terraria. Support!

How about another totally original and bares no resemblance to another drink:

Brewed Iron
Uses Iron/Lead ore and Daybloom to craft.
Taking a sip of Brewed Iron grants HIGHLAND TOUGHNESS for 30 seconds increasing defence by 5 and reducing damage taken by 5%
Enemies hit by Brewed Iron are affected with Scalding.

This idea is great. Simple, fun and VERY in tune with Terraria. Support!

How about another totally original and bares no resemblance to another drink:

Brewed Iron
Uses Iron/Lead ore and Daybloom to craft.
Taking a sip of Brewed Iron grants HIGHLAND TOUGHNESS for 30 seconds increasing defence by 5 and reducing damage taken by 5%
Enemies hit by Brewed Iron are affected with Scalding.
I'm not sure what the reference here is, but I can incorporate something like it.

BEHOLD, THE CUP O' LAVA.

Excellent idea! Original and realistic, and by realistic I mean it's something that would actually be considerable to put into the game.

Root Beer Float
Now the party girl sells root beer and ice cream

Drinking makes you faster and (as the float part implies) fall slower

Not to mention splashing on enemies makes them chilled

Last edited:
what about a mug of tea that gives the "classy" status: gives a monocle on your character if they have no helmet on, and prices of shops are reduced by 20%.
Also herbal tea which gives the elemental status, which gives different buffs depending on your biome. e.g ice biome adds an ice shrapnel effect when you are hit which works like crystal bullets, but deals 10 dmg base, can be increased by any damage bonus and 8 shards come out.

Really cool ideas! But just so you know 'Chilled' is already a debuff in the game, its inflicted by ice slimes, ice bats, ect. Also I think it would make sense if some of the hot drinks gave you the 'Warmth' Buff (currently provided by Warmth Potion only) which decreases the damage you take from cold sources by 30% or even maybe the 'Inferno' Buff (currently from Inferno Potion only).

Back
Top Bottom