tModLoader Endless Escapade

calling your dimensions subworlds when you don't use sublib smh!
Seriously though, great-looking mod so far, both from a visual and gameplay standpoint. Excited to see where it goes.

calling your dimensions subworlds when you don't use sublib smh!
Seriously though, great-looking mod so far, both from a visual and gameplay standpoint. Excited to see where it goes.
To be fair, in this case "subworld" is a better descriptor than "dimension" considering the ocean isn't really an alternate dimension

To be fair, in this case "subworld" is a better descriptor than "dimension" considering the ocean isn't really an alternate dimension
True. "Dimension" might also make more people think it works like Minecraft in the sense that multiple can be up at once in Multiplayer, idk.

Yeah, I gotta say, this was a really pleasant surprise. I see mods that have maximum ambition but zero screenshots or any progress to show, and then you have masterpieces like this that have their stuff together, fantastic (and animated!) screenshots, and will basically give you a reason to wipe the inevitable drool from your shirt with the nearest available cloth.

Beautiful stuff, fellas. Absolutely beautiful. I have struck the "watch" button with the gentle force of a thousand willful suns.

True. "Dimension" might also make more people think it works like Minecraft in the sense that multiple can be up at once in Multiplayer, idk.
Yea, people that don't understand coding terms consider "dimension" to be "WOAH NETHER MINECRAFT AETHER END POGGERS," I prefer subworld since it's a more general term and people take it more like it actually is-a world, not a "themed" dimension. I told this to the other devs, but "subworld" is all-encompassing and "dimension" is more themed towards things UNLIKE the default world, while our subworlds aren't meant to be a separate dimension or anything, just a different "world" code-wise.

Yeah, I gotta say, this was a really pleasant surprise. I see mods that have maximum ambition but zero screenshots or any progress to show, and then you have masterpieces like this that have their stuff together, fantastic (and animated!) screenshots, and will basically give you a reason to wipe the inevitable drool from your shirt with the nearest available cloth.

Beautiful stuff, fellas. Absolutely beautiful. I have struck the "watch" button with the gentle force of a thousand willful suns.
Thanks man! <3

Yea, people that don't understand coding terms consider "dimension" to be "WOAH NETHER MINECRAFT AETHER END POGGERS," I prefer subworld since it's a more general term and people take it more like it actually is-a world, not a "themed" dimension. I told this to the other devs, but "subworld" is all-encompassing and "dimension" is more themed towards things UNLIKE the default world, while our subworlds aren't meant to be a separate dimension or anything, just a different "world" code-wise.
I realize that EE runs on a different subworlds system than Snail's, but that still applies in its fullest:

You'd have to completely rewrite the way Terraria handles worlds to have anything like MC dimensions, in Terraria it's effectively a neat trick to load the player between worlds without going back to the main menu; but people don't realize that. I know in Don't Starve Together you have the Caves, but the game handles that by running a 2nd server for the caves, and let me tell you most of my friends had to play without caves because the hosting requirements for it are quite high. (And Terraria wouldn't be very different if someone tried to make this possible)

Also people tend to think that Subworlds is like "Oh cool I can make my own dimensions" without even knowing how to use C#, it's hilarious. Fad chasing is totally a thing people do, but it's only remembered by those who did it right.

I realize that EE runs on a different subworlds system than Snail's, but that still applies in its fullest:

You'd have to completely rewrite the way Terraria handles worlds to have anything like MC dimensions, in Terraria it's effectively a neat trick to load the player between worlds without going back to the main menu; but people don't realize that. I know in Don't Starve Together you have the Caves, but the game handles that by running a 2nd server for the caves, and let me tell you most of my friends had to play without caves because the hosting requirements for it are quite high. (And Terraria wouldn't be very different if someone tried to make this possible)

Also people tend to think that Subworlds is like "Oh cool I can make my own dimensions" without even knowing how to use C#, it's hilarious. Fad chasing is totally a thing people do, but it's only remembered by those who did it right.
Yah, 100% agreed. Sublib's easy-to-use in appearance nature makes a lot of mods and individuals turn towards it hoping to make a "dimension" mod, without even realizing how it works under the hood.
The main reason OS made his own subworld system for EE was mainly so we'd have the freedom to make changes if we needed to, ex. the multiplayer hosting issue you brought up. We haven't properly gotten into multiplayer patches and fixes yet byeah, running multiple worlds continuously is really stressing on any computer. It'd basically make the host's game unplayable, even with just 2 subworlds.
We're hoping to integrate a relatively smooth fix into this(some sort of voting system) where there aren't multiple worlds running continuously but it still makes sense within Terraria.
And yeah, subworlds are a massive fad right now(specifically shadow-themed) which we're actually kind of worried about, since when we started our work on subworlds they were still a relatively new concept. But now, every single dang mod either has a subworld or has subworlds planned, and yeah, it's saturating the community. Thankfully, our view on subworlds is relatively distinct from other mods'(an extended part of the main world rather than a separate "dimension").
Like any concept or idea in Terraria, if one person spreads the idea or multiple mods think it's cool, it'll probably saturate everything pretty quickly, especially stuff that's viewed as "revolutionary" like subworlds.

Yah, 100% agreed. Sublib's easy-to-use in appearance nature makes a lot of mods and individuals turn towards it hoping to make a "dimension" mod, without even realizing how it works under the hood.
The main reason OS made his own subworld system for EE was mainly so we'd have the freedom to make changes if we needed to, ex. the multiplayer hosting issue you brought up. We haven't properly gotten into multiplayer patches and fixes yet byeah, running multiple worlds continuously is really stressing on any computer. It'd basically make the host's game unplayable, even with just 2 subworlds.
We're hoping to integrate a relatively smooth fix into this(some sort of voting system) where there aren't multiple worlds running continuously but it still makes sense within Terraria.
It's a know fact that Snail's subworlds has quite a few issues and he's rather slow to fix them, if at all. The best fix to that is to do it yourself lol. For me thou, I've managed to sidestep around those problems, but at the same time I REALLY don't want to deal with subworlds netsupport, it's just not worth it at all. (it's a whole another level of frustration when basic terraria features just, don't work)

And yeah, subworlds are a massive fad right now(specifically shadow-themed) which we're actually kind of worried about, since when we started our work on subworlds they were still a relatively new concept. But now, every single dang mod either has a subworld or has subworlds planned, and yeah, it's saturating the community. Thankfully, our view on subworlds is relatively distinct from other mods'(an extended part of the main world rather than a separate "dimension").
Like any concept or idea in Terraria, if one person spreads the idea or multiple mods think it's cool, it'll probably saturate everything pretty quickly, especially stuff that's viewed as "revolutionary" like subworlds.
I'm content with being the first released mod that Subworlds didn't ship with (that being GaMeTerraria) to properly use the library. (by released I mean the Subworlds content, some of it, is not WIP content and is in playable space in normal gameplay, there is some WIP subworlds content thou)
And apparently, I'm still the only one as of this post.
That was months ago, everyone else is STILL in the WIP stages, I'd think by now there would be something else?

I might be the first with John's library, but let us not forget Pinky's Mod, the VERY mod to implement such a feature.

It's a know fact that Snail's subworlds has quite a few issues and he's rather slow to fix them, if at all
SubLib is no longer supported for 1.3, as I will soon be moving to 1.4, and I feel it's stable enough.
As far as I know, the only real issues currently are chunks occassionally not syncing in Multiplayer, a couple design flaws regarding custom UIs, and the infamous lava background (though that's more of an annoyance than anything). I'll be looking at SubLib in its entirety for 1.4, and fixing all of these problems.

I'd like to mention that SubLib has mostly been developed in a vacuum. There's very little released mods that use it, and as such, I haven't been able to get much in-depth feedback. For example, custom UIs and the voting system. GMT is currently the only mod to use these (equipment select, and the fade-out before beginning a challenge), and I've only now discovered some problems with how they function as a result.
I would love to work with EE (and by extension, every mod) to make SubLib the best it can be! After all, it was designed to unite all mods that wish to add subworlds for maximum compatibility.

subworlds are a massive fad right now(specifically shadow-themed) which we're actually kind of worried about, since when we started our work on subworlds they were still a relatively new concept. But now, every single dang mod either has a subworld or has subworlds planned, and yeah, it's saturating the community. Thankfully, our view on subworlds is relatively distinct from other mods'(an extended part of the main world rather than a separate "dimension").
Like I said, very little released mods have subworlds right now, and the works-in-progress I have seen so far have all been pretty different from each other. Subworlds allow you to really think outside the box, and I believe that will be the key to keeping them fresh.

SubLib is no longer supported for 1.3, as I will soon be moving to 1.4, and I feel it's stable enough.
As far as I know, the only real issues currently are chunks occassionally not syncing in Multiplayer, a couple design flaws regarding custom UIs, and the infamous lava background (though that's more of an annoyance than anything). I'll be looking at SubLib in its entirety for 1.4, and fixing all of these problems.

I'd like to mention that SubLib has mostly been developed in a vacuum. There's very little released mods that use it, and as such, I haven't been able to get much in-depth feedback. For example, custom UIs and the voting system. GMT is currently the only mod to use these (equipment select, and the fade-out before beginning a challenge), and I've only now discovered some problems with how they function as a result.
I would love to work with EE (and by extension, every mod) to make SubLib the best it can be! After all, it was designed to unite all mods that wish to add subworlds for maximum compatibility.

If I came off sounding ungrateful, I'm sorry, I forgot for a moment that the final 1.3 version is all we got til 1.4. And yeah the lavabackground one alone has made it pretty clear that it's a *very frustrating endever*, but the payoff, as you say "Unified Dimensional Library for maximum compatibility" is worth it. You could have just kept it for GMT, but you didn't, you made a library out of it and it's still a very viable library at that, it's just not... perfect, but it's the most perfect thing the average modder has got for now.

Slowly but surely more people are picking it up and adding to that vacuum to be, less of a vacuum, but you know the whole "zero clue fad chasers" is still a thing, and also worldgen tutorials aren't very plentiful either...

Like I said, very little released mods have subworlds right now, and the works-in-progress I have seen so far have all been pretty different from each other. Subworlds allow you to really think outside the box, and I believe that will be the key to keeping them fresh.

I mean I made a randomized dungeon that keeps going deeper and changes (sorta, in a minor way atm) as you do go deeper, but so far that's not really how most people are using Subworlds, they're kinda treating it like MC Demensions in and a sense: a rehash of how modders use Basemod. I completely agreed.

PS: This is EE's thread, so I won't be carrying on this topic more for the sake of not filling up the thread with general-subworld talk spam.

and the infamous lava background (though that's more of an annoyance than anything).
Oh boy yeah, the lava BG's a pain, lol. if you figure it out please tell us ;)

Also yeah, subworlds really allow for a reinvention of the traditional "Terraria mod formula." I suppose let's all hope it doesn't get picked up by every single mod to the point where it becomes bland and overused.

Back
Top Bottom