Biomes & Nature Enhancing the original biomes

Which of these modifications do you like the best?

• Forest

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Desert

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Dungeon

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • The Sky

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Snow

Votes: 17 50.0%

• Total voters
I think they can improve pyramids a lot if they add more corridos and stairs even if they are empty, just make a little corridor maze, si yiu can use the empty pyramid spots.

Pyramid.png

If this pyramide have more corridos will be more funny to get a bit lost inside dark pyramide searching the loot room, tat will improve them i guess

I like pretty much everything here. Not sure how to feel about the Giant Cactus, though it is a neat idea. A lot of these would spice up words without doing much harm, but Deserts would need to be a bit bigger before more things should generate there. And the plains/snow plains should have a bit more meat to them. Just having pretty much cleared out biomes that are flat seems kind of dull, but the idea of a flat chunk of land is neat.

Overall a really suggestion. The screenshots gave all the detail needed, and the ideas are pretty solid.

The biggest issue I could see would be the holes in the dungeon. The main reason the dungeon is only accessible through the top is because you run into the Old Man right away. If the dungeon is open in a ton of places, you could very easily accidentally enter it somewhere else and get crushed by a Dungeon Guardian. Not as big of an issue if you've played a while, but new players would be frustrated.

It also isolates what's inside the dungeon from the outside, forcing you to go strolling through the dungeon as you would a dungeon crawler style game (from the start). If you later want other access points you can make them yourself when you get a better pickaxe. I feel as though the dungeon should remain cutoff from other access points unless the player decides to make new ones.

Everything else looks pretty nice. I especially like adding more to the houses on islands. It gets tiring making 10+ worlds and exploring the skies for hours with gravity potions just to collect enough sunplate blocks to make something. Plus it gives a more unique feel to each one, kind of like the differences between all the abandoned underground houses made of wood.

I like it all except the openings to the dungeon. Poor new players getting slaughtered without even knowing why.

The giant cacti should mean that we get one large desert instead of 3-4 smaller ones when generating a world. There are lots of threads about desert improvment, so I won't go into detail.

I think they can improve pyramids a lot if they add more corridos and stairs even if they are empty, just make a little corridor maze, si yiu can use the empty pyramid spots.

Pyramid.png

If this pyramide have more corridos will be more funny to get a bit lost inside dark pyramide searching the loot room, tat will improve them i guess

I agree. Pyramids are rare with not much stuff in them which stinks.....

The plains are rather boring, TBH. It's the opposite of enhancing the biome.

Still, I support the rest of it.

Actually, I'm going to go build a better igloo structure. Kay?
iI3uFAg.png

Here we go:
bdAMTh3.png

Last edited:
If I were to redesign Terraria's dungeon, I would follow Starbound's example. Starbound uses dozens of separate 'room' examples that while similar, are far better designed, more pretty, and present more of a challenge than Terraria's random, quite frankly ugly generation. The rooms have multiple entrances and exit connections that are placed together by the generator based on opening size and assembled like legos into a coherent whole. If the developers made a hundred or more premade dungeon rooms (I'd love to just spend a few hours building example rooms right now, actually. I'll probably do that then take pictures.) and used this method to assemble the dungeon, everything would look far prettier than it does now and provide more dangerous traps with better layouts.

You would need a lot of dungeon rooms for enough variety though, and this is an area where Starbound is struggling, but improving in.

If I were to redesign Terraria's dungeon, I would follow Starbound's example. Starbound uses dozens of separate 'room' examples that while similar, are far better designed, more pretty, and present more of a challenge than Terraria's random, quite frankly ugly generation. The rooms have multiple entrances and exit connections that are placed together by the generator based on opening size and assembled like legos into a coherent whole. If the developers made a hundred or more premade dungeon rooms (I'd love to just spend a few hours building example rooms right now, actually. I'll probably do that then take pictures.) and used this method to assemble the dungeon, everything would look far prettier than it does now and provide more dangerous traps with better layouts.

You would need a lot of dungeon rooms for enough variety though, and this is an area where Starbound is struggling, but improving in.
I guess that would help a bit at preventing the Dungeon from looking like whoever built it was either crazy or high, althrough the rooms themselves should also have a few random features in order to prevent them from looking like they were copypasted, but with similar general features.

I'm on board with this largely because of the desert improvements, the reasons being:
1. I love deserts.
2. The Desert Biome could definitely stand some major additions.
3. I like the idea of world gen ruins in general.
4. The Giant Cactus reminds me of Will's cactus house that was shown before 1.2 was released on the old forums. (I'm still hoping for Cactusfolk to be added to Terraria one day.)

After several years, I've finally decided to update this thread cause why not? Some ideas (such as the Plains) have been removed for now, and others have gotten new pictures since TCF broke the old ones (and I don't know if I have the original pictures unfortunately.)

Everything you have on here is amazing and I want it all.
Is there a chance you could address the Desert's Pyramids, though?

Back
Top Bottom