Biomes & Nature Enhancing the original biomes

Which of these modifications do you like the best?

• Forest

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Desert

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Dungeon

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • The Sky

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Snow

Votes: 17 50.0%

• Total voters

Murphmario

Retinazer
If you've been playing Terraria for a long time, then you start to notice trends in the world generation, and as such the worlds can start to get a bit stale. This suggestion is meant to try and help with this.

Also, as a note for modders; feel free to add these ideas into your mod if you like them. I doubt Re-Logic would ever add these, so mods are the next best thing.

SNOW:
1577504983731.png

Igloos would be uncommon spawns, and would have a Boreal Chest with Surface Level chest loot, nothing too special there. There's also a campfire that you can either relight, or steal to put in your boss arena.

DESERT:
Ancient Ruins are structures made with sandstone brick. Nothing special about these. Also, ignore my character at the edge of the screen over there please.
(I lost the picture. If anyone saved it to their computer, please send it my way.)

1577505282827.png

Ancient, sandstone pillars, built by whoever used to live in this scorching plain. They're mostly for show.

Living Cacti contain water pockets, and sometimes, waterfalls flow out of them. The reason for this is because cacti store water inside of them. These are similar to living trees, but don't go underground. They can also contain a chest inside it with the cactus boomerang, which does higher damage than the wood one, but not as much as the enchanted one. Also can contain pots inside of it.
1577506377136.png
1577506311419.png

This is where I would talk about an oasis, but Re-Logic's adding those in Journey's End. Therefore, no point to discuss them now.

DUNGEON:
Bricks could turn into different colors like this, and are fairly common. This removes the need of having to make multiple worlds for a single brick color, at the cost of having less of all the different brick colors per world. One brick color would still be more common over the others, and is always the color used at the entrance to the Dungeon. Shown here are blue and green bricks.
1577504233013.png

Actuated pillars (or regular pillar blocks, which I'm planning as a possible future suggestion) could possibly be found in the halls of the dungeon, as well as possibly the entrance. The only purpose they have is to make the dungeon look a bit nicer. Width and height of the pillars may vary.
1577504485414.png

They can also be broken, though this doesn't affect much since they're still essentially just background objects.
1577504684899.png

THE SKY:
Sky Houses haven't really changed all that much. They had the blocks used change (before 1.2, they used Gold and Silver bricks, if I remember correctly), but their shape has remained the same. Why not make them a bit more unique, with each looking a bit different?
View attachment 232249
A two-floor Sky House, with Stained Glass Windows. What color of Stained Glass is used (or if it's just normal glass) is random.
View attachment 232272
A bit of a different approach to the idea; instead of the sky house having a second floor, it instead has a basement. The top also has a dome shape with differently-styled windows; this top part can also come without the basement, thus being more like your typical sky house.
1577503421683.png

Floating Islands could maybe also have a chance to have a little cave system, similar to the lands below. The cloud walls behind dirt blocks would be replaced by natural dirt walls, as opposed to the entire island being composed of just cloud walls..

1577503814017.png

Actuated Clouds (or background clouds if the devs want to inplement a new tile for this) would also spawn in the sky.

1577503857239.png

There would also be a chance for said cloudsto be rain clouds. I'd imagine that they would be Snow Clouds instead if they generated about a snow biome.

THREAD IS UNDER DEVELOPMENT. PLEASE COME BACK WHEN THIS IS UPDATED.

Attachments

• 1577502212353.png
    1577502212353.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 1577502985307.png
    1577502985307.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Nothing to say here:

FOREST:
Lamp_Post-tiles.png

Lamp posts can rarely be found in forests and snow biomes *Cough*Narnia*Cough*.

Plains.png

Plains are about the same as forests, except there are no trees and it's way flatter.

Dark_Forest.png

Shadow forests look like forests, but are covered in black paint. Rare.

DESERT:
Ancient_Structure.png

Ancient Ruins are structures made with sandstone brick. Nothing special about these. Also, ignore my character at the edge of the screen over there please.

Giant_Cactus.png

Giant cacti are huge. They contain water pockets, and sometimes, waterfalls flow out of them. The reason for this is because cacti store water inside of them. These are similar to living trees, but don't go underground and have no chests or pots.

Oasis.png

Oases are rare, and have a new type of grass that grows on sand around water (Mud is just a placeholder). Palm trees grow on this grass the same way jungle trees do.

DUNGEON:
Brick_Seperation.png

Bricks can turn into different colors like this, and are fairly common. This removes the need of having to make multiple worlds for a single brick color. Shown here are blue and green bricks.

Tunnel.png

These holes lead down into the caves below. These can be dangerous, as lava or water can flow through them, but also can lead to treasure. And if you haven't defeated Skeletron and find one of these, DO NOT GO IN THESE OR YOU WILL DIE.

Dungeon_Pillar.png

Actuated pillars can be found. They're purpose is to make the dungeon look nicer (not in difficulty).

Ruined_Dungeon_Pillar.png

They can also be broken. This does not change anything. Dart Trap wires would not be able to spawn over these pillars.

UNDER DEVELOPMENT. PLEASE COME BACK WHEN THIS IS UPDATED.

I like the Sandstone structure.

I like everything except the lamposts, shadow forest and the Giant Cactus.

Lampposts because I like the surface of my world to be a more natural place.
Shadow forest because it does nothing but annoy the player (especially if you're in an all black character...)
Giant cactus because it really just seems like a waste of space in the desert.

I like everything except the lamposts, shadow forest and the Giant Cactus.

Lampposts because I like the surface of my world to be a more natural place.
Shadow forest because it does nothing but annoy the player (especially if you're in an all black character...)
Giant cactus because it really just seems like a waste of space in the desert.

Removed the lampposts and shadow forest. Not getting rid of the giant cactus though. Look at living trees for example.

Removed the lampposts and shadow forest. Not getting rid of the giant cactus though. Look at living trees for example.
They at least have some degree of function though, their roots often lead to caves and sometimes contain stuff to make Living wood furniture.

Nothing to say here:

FOREST:
Plains.png

Plains are about the same as forests, except there are no trees and it's way flatter.

SNOW:
Igloo.png

Igloos would be uncommon spawns, and would contain a boreal wood chest with surface loot.

Snow_Plains.png

Just likes forests, snow biomes would have a plains variant.

DESERT:
Ancient_Structure.png

Giant_Cactus.png

Giant cacti are huge. They contain water pockets, and sometimes, waterfalls flow out of them. The reason for this is because cacti store water inside of them. These are similar to living trees, but don't go underground and have no chests or pots.

Oasis.png

Oases are rare, and have a new type of grass that grows on sand around water (Mud is just a placeholder). Palm trees grow on this grass the same way jungle trees do.

DUNGEON:
Brick_Seperation.png

Bricks can turn into different colors like this, and are fairly common. This removes the need of having to make multiple worlds for a single brick color. Shown here are blue and green bricks.

Tunnel.png

These holes lead down into the caves below. These can be dangerous, as lava or water can flow through them, but also can lead to treasure. And if you haven't defeated Skeletron and find one of these, DO NOT GO IN THESE OR YOU WILL DIE.

Dungeon_Pillar.png

Actuated pillars can be found. They're purpose is to make the dungeon look nicer (not in difficulty).

Ruined_Dungeon_Pillar.png

They can also be broken. This does not change anything. Dart Trap wires would not be able to spawn over these pillars.

THE SKY:
Skyhouse.png

Skyhouse_2.png

Looks like whoever lives in these sky houses became more stylish. Floating island houses would upgrade from their dull shape and turn into these. Now with stained glass windows and more furniture!

Floating_Island_Cave.png

Floating Islands would have a chance to have a cave system. The cloud walls behind dirt blocks would be replaced by natural dirt walls.

Tiny_Cloud.png

Actuated Clouds would spawn in the sky. There would also be a chance for them to be rain clouds.

UNDER DEVELOPMENT. PLEASE COME BACK WHEN THIS IS UPDATED.
The black forest doesn't seem great. It would be very hard to get around during the night. I do really like the sky houses and sandstone structures though. :)

If you change the Cactus thing to be able to make a house out of it (like Giant Tree) I will support that.

You don't need to do that because actuated blocks don't need actuators in them. Once it's actuated, they can be removed, so you can have wires pass through with no effect.

You don't need to do that because actuated blocks don't need actuators in them. Once it's actuated, they can be removed, so you can have wires pass through with no effect.

Oh yeah, forgot. World gen actuated blocks don't have actuators on them.

I like this idea. Any extra variety that can be added to worldgen is always welcomed... it adds a nice way of spicing things up. Pyramids, Underground Cabins, Giant Trees, Floating Islands, Jungle Shrines, and Hell Houses are all great examples of this.

I like this idea. Any extra variety that can be added to worldgen is always welcomed... it adds a nice way of spicing things up. Pyramids, Underground Cabins, Giant Trees, Floating Islands, Jungle Shrines, and Hell Houses are all great examples of this.
Actually, let's be honest, pyramids are scumbags. "Oh, you created five worlds to find a pyramid? Have a pharaoh vanity set!"

Actually, let's be honest, pyramids are scumbags. "Oh, you created five worlds to find a pyramid? Have a pharaoh vanity set!"

Fair enough :p

I'd still be happy even if they didn't have loot though. Just has a LAN party with some people... We ran a medium world and got two pyramids contains a sandstorm and magic carpet.

Luck of the optimistic?

Fair enough :p

I'd still be happy even if they didn't have loot though. Just has a LAN party with some people... We ran a medium world and got two pyramids contains a sandstorm and magic carpet.

Luck of the optimistic?
I got two pyramids with two Pharaoh Vanity sets before...

I don't really care for the plains things, but the igloos, giant cactus, oasis, and multiple brick dungeon types look cool. I'm going to say no the the openings in the dungeon, though, because there's no one to warn them not to go in.

I like pretty much everything here, but the plains shouldn't be COMPLETELY flat. Also, maybe they would have some sort of special tall grass to grow there, as well as a background change. (No grass on snow plains, obviously)

Back
Top Bottom