tModLoader Equipment Upgrader mod

Max upgrade level should restricted before hardmode

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oempa

Terrarian
Hey all,

Terraria is really fun but when you have 100 platinum sitting around with nothing to spend it on, it can get boring.
This mod adds a new NPC that allows you to upgrade almost every weapon from +1 to +40, each level will increase your weapons stats.

Some quick feature highlights:
  • Adds one NPC "Equipment Upgrader", allows upgrading.
  • Upgrade cost scales exponentially, getting +40 is currently a crazy grind, as it is extremely strong, it allows you to build towards something.
  • Allows toggling the uprade: "knockback" and "size" in the config. (Do this before using the mod as it can't change existing items unless if you upgrade them again).
  • Allows you to reduce the cost of all upgrades by half in the config.

Note:
  • This is definitely not something that fits nicely into Terraria balance, it can help you beat bosses easily if you have enough money.
  • This is my first mod and I made it in just 2 days. Hopefully it's something you'll enjoy, but there's definitely a chance at some bugs.

Feedback or bug reports are really appreciated. Thanks in advance and enjoy!

Github repo:
Find it on the mod browser as well!

icon.png

Attachments

• 1579563056297.png
    1579563056297.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 976
Last edited:
I ended up downloading this by mistake at first, but I think it'll fit nicely into my collection!
It's not the first mod that does this, but I agree with there needing to be a use for all those materials that don't end up getting used later on

The NPC it's not spawning in my world.
What can i do??? Please answer me :'v

The NPC currently only spawns while the player has more than 1 gold coin in their inventory. That's because all the costs are more than 1 gold coin. So maybe that's why, and maybe I should ahve clarified that somewhere.

However, it could be my fault as well, if he still doesn't spawn with more than 1 gold, let me know again please :)

Was looking for a mod like this for ages tbh, I love the idea the only downside is that you mentioned that weapons would we overwhelmingly overpowered?

I have a solution sort of since I haven't played with your mod yet my idea is

as every small upgrade it is buffed for .2% damage and once you reach 10 20 30 or 40 you get a 10% damage buff which in total would add to 47.2% which seems fairly moderate compared to the amount of resources used up to level 10 uses pre hard mode items level 20 early hard mode level 30 chlorophyte and 40 luminite

Also there is this game called Patapon it has this same exact mechanic where you can upgrade weapons up to lvl 40 exactly like your mod that is a huge coincidence tbh

Was looking for a mod like this for ages tbh, I love the idea the only downside is that you mentioned that weapons would we overwhelmingly overpowered?

I have a solution sort of since I haven't played with your mod yet my idea is

as every small upgrade it is buffed for .2% damage and once you reach 10 20 30 or 40 you get a 10% damage buff which in total would add to 47.2% which seems fairly moderate compared to the amount of resources used up to level 10 uses pre hard mode items level 20 early hard mode level 30 chlorophyte and 40 luminite

Also there is this game called Patapon it has this same exact mechanic where you can upgrade weapons up to lvl 40 exactly like your mod that is a huge coincidence tbh

That sounds pretty good!

Also that is a huge coincidence! I have never heard of Patapon before today, the number 40 was just something I chose because there is a limit to how many enchants can be added.

Hey, love the mod. I think it adds some needed endgame use for all the money I have collecting dust. I did however noticed something with the mod. If you buy for example a flintlock pistol for 5 gold, upgrade once for 1 gold, you can then sell it for 20 gold. I suspect this is something you can't really change, I don't really know what sell prices are based on. Is it something to do with the modifiers? If so, would it be possible to add a negative mod that doesn't affect the weapon like increasing mana cost %? Then again, it's a small thing that can be ignored if the person using the mod doesn't want to exploit it.

Hey, love the mod. I think it adds some needed endgame use for all the money I have collecting dust. I did however noticed something with the mod. If you buy for example a flintlock pistol for 5 gold, upgrade once for 1 gold, you can then sell it for 20 gold. I suspect this is something you can't really change, I don't really know what sell prices are based on. Is it something to do with the modifiers? If so, would it be possible to add a negative mod that doesn't affect the weapon like increasing mana cost %? Then again, it's a small thing that can be ignored if the person using the mod doesn't want to exploit it.

Thanks for that, that was definitely a mistake, I changed it before, but only for melee weapons. Good catch! It will be fixed in the next version.

First off; LOVE the mod, great idea, simple execution, and lets you keep using weapons you like, that would otherwise be outclassed by other weapons. But, there are some issues. Namely; this mod makes anything upgradeable, ridiculously overpowered. Like, I can kill eye of cthulu in seconds, with a +15 enchanted sword, which only costs 10 platinum to make, before I'm even done with pre-hardmode.. Money farms are not hard to set up, and allow me to get upwards of 10 platinum in about an hour, which is more than what's needed to get the enchanted sword to +15, and it all-but invalidates all other weapons in pre hardmode, and even some in hardmode. I chose the enchanted sword because you can get it before you do anything else, and sure, it'd be harder to upgrade it without a wire money farm, so it's not that great until you get past skeletron, but that's besides the point. So, my personal recommendations to you, that I think would help with balance majorly are:
1.) Increase the price or lower the value of each upgrade; Either make it so that it costs a LOT to have a weapon that good, maybe a 4x increase in price, or make it so that the upgrades are... Less so. Something like 4x less powerful? The +10 version of a weapon should be the +40 version. 150% (roughly) bonus damage is MASSIVE, maybe 200% bonus damage at +40 if you really wanna be crazy with it, but +1000% more damage just, kind of breaks the game? Like, at +40, an enchanted sword can easily carry me all the way through to golem. Easily, without a doubt. It's stronger than the terra blade.

2.) Limit the amount of upgrades available based on certain achievements throughout the game, i.e; you can only go past +3 once you've beaten the Eye of Cthulu, and +5 once you've beaten the eater of worlds, and +8 once you've beaten queen bee, and +10 once you've beaten skeletron, etc, etc, etc. This way, you can't just, say, leave your computer on with an AFK farm while you go to work/school, come home to 200 platinum, and immediately have a wooden broadsword capable of defeating the moon lord (Mite be an exaggeration but I haven't tested it), plus, basing it on only the vanilla bosses makes sure that it has compatibility with mods, as the modded bosses wouldn't have any effect on the level of upgrade available.

3.) Change the upgrades based on the items, and include tools! Make it so swords get a different upgrade from bows, which get a different upgrade from magic, which get a different upgrade from pickaxes, etc. Tool upgrades wouldn't upgrade the damage, but instead could upgrade the tool's proficiency (i.e, a +0.5 to pickaxe power for every level of upgrade) and speed of the tool, while a boomerang's upgrades would be damage and knockback, or a yoyo's upgrades would negatively influence knockback, making it easier to keep enemies in a damage loop, or making the yoyo stay out longer, or anything like that.

These are just my ideas for this mod though, because I really want to see this mod succeed, as it would quickly get a place on my "must have" mods list, up there with magic storage, veinminer, boss checklist, and other extremely helpful but not gamebreaking utility mods. Hopefully this helps and gives you some insight on the balance of the mod! I'll attach pictures of what a +40 version of a 24 damage modded weapon ended up looking like (Yes, I know, "its modded so of course it's overpowered," thats why I used the enchanted sword as an example for the rest of this "review," this was just the weapon that made me realize how overpowered this mod currently is.)

uRd9LU2.png
AP93j2f.png

First off; LOVE the mod, great idea, simple execution, and lets you keep using weapons you like, that would otherwise be outclassed by other weapons. But, there are some issues. Namely; this mod makes anything upgradeable, ridiculously overpowered. Like, I can kill eye of cthulu in seconds, with a +15 enchanted sword, which only costs 10 platinum to make, before I'm even done with pre-hardmode.. Money farms are not hard to set up, and allow me to get upwards of 10 platinum in about an hour, which is more than what's needed to get the enchanted sword to +15, and it all-but invalidates all other weapons in pre hardmode, and even some in hardmode. I chose the enchanted sword because you can get it before you do anything else, and sure, it'd be harder to upgrade it without a wire money farm, so it's not that great until you get past skeletron, but that's besides the point. So, my personal recommendations to you, that I think would help with balance majorly are:
1.) Increase the price or lower the value of each upgrade; Either make it so that it costs a LOT to have a weapon that good, maybe a 4x increase in price, or make it so that the upgrades are... Less so. Something like 4x less powerful? The +10 version of a weapon should be the +40 version. 150% (roughly) bonus damage is MASSIVE, maybe 200% bonus damage at +40 if you really wanna be crazy with it, but +1000% more damage just, kind of breaks the game? Like, at +40, an enchanted sword can easily carry me all the way through to golem. Easily, without a doubt. It's stronger than the terra blade.

2.) Limit the amount of upgrades available based on certain achievements throughout the game, i.e; you can only go past +3 once you've beaten the Eye of Cthulu, and +5 once you've beaten the eater of worlds, and +8 once you've beaten queen bee, and +10 once you've beaten skeletron, etc, etc, etc. This way, you can't just, say, leave your computer on with an AFK farm while you go to work/school, come home to 200 platinum, and immediately have a wooden broadsword capable of defeating the moon lord (Mite be an exaggeration but I haven't tested it), plus, basing it on only the vanilla bosses makes sure that it has compatibility with mods, as the modded bosses wouldn't have any effect on the level of upgrade available.

3.) Change the upgrades based on the items, and include tools! Make it so swords get a different upgrade from bows, which get a different upgrade from magic, which get a different upgrade from pickaxes, etc. Tool upgrades wouldn't upgrade the damage, but instead could upgrade the tool's proficiency (i.e, a +0.5 to pickaxe power for every level of upgrade) and speed of the tool, while a boomerang's upgrades would be damage and knockback, or a yoyo's upgrades would negatively influence knockback, making it easier to keep enemies in a damage loop, or making the yoyo stay out longer, or anything like that.

These are just my ideas for this mod though, because I really want to see this mod succeed, as it would quickly get a place on my "must have" mods list, up there with magic storage, veinminer, boss checklist, and other extremely helpful but not gamebreaking utility mods. Hopefully this helps and gives you some insight on the balance of the mod! I'll attach pictures of what a +40 version of a 24 damage modded weapon ended up looking like (Yes, I know, "its modded so of course it's overpowered," thats why I used the enchanted sword as an example for the rest of this "review," this was just the weapon that made me realize how overpowered this mod currently is.)

.View attachment 234349 View attachment 234348

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

"which only costs 10 platinum to make" 10 platinum pre-eye of cthulu is an incredibly high amount in the normal game. you'd have to kill king slime 10000 times for that as he drops 1 gold. It's really difficult to balance anything money related around normal gameplay and automated money farming.

As for your first point; I do agree that +40 is really strong, probably too strong. However it is also incredibly hard to achieve without automated money farming. For reference I did a Calamity playthrough where I played for about 70 hours, finished everything and had about 200 platinum leftover towards the end. In the current balance that would get you about a +32. Which I agree, is really strong. However that is on a modded playthrough where getting money is already much easier. You also have to keep in mind that the likelyhood of keeping the same item from start to finish is practically zero and that only a small amount of people set up automated money farms. Had I played with my mod from the beginning I would've probably +10'd several items and then, as they get too weak. I would replace them with a new fresh +0, which I then have to upgrade again. And the sell price of +ed items stays very low. But that brings us to your second point.

Your second point is really great. I actually fully agree with it and it sounds very promising as it would be a great way to essentially self-balance around progress. Really nice suggestion and I will probably work on that later! The only problem might be making clear to the player what they need to do to unlock the next tier of upgrades, but I think I can figure something out.

Alternatively I also considered to have bosses drop some sort of token that would essentially replace money for anything upgrade related. However I think that might be fairly difficult to program as reforging uses money, but I will look into this as well. If I can figure it out I might use that alongside your suggestion.

Lastly, I think the item in the screenshot is definitely not something that can happen in the vanilla game, or with most mods for that matter. I think it's multiplying both the ranged and melee bonus stats to this item, so that would seem like a bug to me. Normally the damage bonus for ranged items is capped at around 400%, I believe and melee damage around 1700%, which I am going to rebalance in a next version. However it's very complicated to consider modded items like this when balancing, but I'll give it a shot of course!

I do really appreciate your comprehensive feedback and it has actually given me some good ideas and new motivation to work on this a bit more! Thanks a lot :)

I know this a weird suggestion but could you possibly add a way to clear off or reset the upgrades back to like +1 or something? btw mod looks great so far! :)

I know this a weird suggestion but could you possibly add a way to clear off or reset the upgrades back to like +1 or something? btw mod looks great so far! :)

It's added, anything higher than "+5" can be reset with the new upgrade tokens, make sure you have the latest version :)

It's added, anything higher than "+5" can be reset with the new upgrade tokens, make sure you have the latest version :)

Awesome! also I think I found a crash bug, it happens whenever I try to upgrade a weapon when I don't have upgrade tokens in my inventory

I love the new update! But the tokens are super easy to come by. I would suggest adding coins back in with the upgrades or make the tokens drop less. Right now I can farm the mechanical worm and get about 1000 tokens in just under 3 minutes. Obtaining a max weapon is super easy and grants huge benefits, and now that you get tokens from bosses it makes it easier to upgrade.

This mod is amazing, I just needs a little bit more rebalancing, either with pricing or stats. Nerfing melee was a good start.

Back
Top Bottom