Working as Designed Equippable items cannot be put in Social Slot

@Leinfors if the concept was here, and it was deemed to be hard to implement, then can you pitch Devs idea to reconsider philosophy behind current vanity system that has unintended dual purpose as a storage/quickswap and just reintroduce it as a quickswap with secondary purpose of vanity instead. Then no new system will be necessary, plus if the only next logical step (that is "add visibility button to social slots", and personally i'm not pressing for that) will be taken, it would settle these demands for "third vanity slots" or other strange solutions, which honestly would only multiply the problems in current system if implemented.

IMO, if this is being removed, hoiks should be removed too. At least hoiks are actually causing regular enough glitches that aparently slimes stuck in the ground is a common bug. So, when a thing thats fun causes a bug, its not fixed, but when a thing thats fun is used not in way devs wanted, it must be removed (despite seemingly being perfectly supported with quickswap even being a thing).

IMO, if this is being removed, hoiks should be removed too. At least hoiks are actually causing regular enough glitches that aparently slimes stuck in the ground is a common bug. So, when a thing thats fun causes a bug, its not fixed, but when a thing thats fun is used not in way devs wanted, it must be removed (despite seemingly being perfectly supported with quickswap even being a thing).
Only problem is that everyone's mechanisms would break as many rely on hoiks. Hoiks honestly should've been fixed as early as possible before people incorporated them into mechanisms but now it's far too late to fix them.

I think it would be cool to have a loadout hotswap system
Not to sound like a whiny entitled gamer here but.. we had one. Which was just taken away. It stings a lot to have a core (yet unintended) feature taken away after multiple years of its use because some other people were louder than I was.

I understand you don't have the final say in anything and that your hands are tied. And I understand that dissatisfied posts like mine can only go so far, and likely will only be good for venting purposes if this really isn't going to be reverted.

There just.. wasn't a reason to change this. It's baffling to me. It feels like a step backwards. If the game's primarily about trying to find your own way to play, then why take away an option as unintrusive as this one was?

I don't want any big flowery new system made. It'd be nice, but I'm not selfish enough to ask for that after what was intended to be the final update. I'd just really, really like to have this option back.

Not to sound like a whiny entitled gamer here but.. we had one. Which was just taken away.

For what its worth, I don't consider the social slots to have been a viable substitute for an actual hotswap loadout system. Too many limitations/unintended consequences. It was simply being used as such. I'd rather convince the team to add a REAL one, since social slots never did a very good job in that capacity.

It may not have been a viable substitute, but it was still there. It was a viable option.

It was a viable option that was taken away.

It was a viable option that was taken away and was not replaced.

That is the root of the issue. An option that was not broken was taken away without a viable replacement.

I am not asking for something as large as a new full loadout swapping system. I, and many others, are simply asking for the old vanity slot functions back.

One of my friends has this to say on the matter, and he puts it far better than I think I could:
It's like if you have a folding table in your kitchen in place of a kitchen table.
Is it wobbly? Sure.
Is it inadequate? Probably.
But if you take it out of the kitchen without putting anything in its place, you have nowhere to put your food.

You can't call something a non-viable substitute if it's doing a job that nothing else is doing.

Is it wobbly? Sure.
Except it wasn't that wobbly. It was a convenient enough way to handle certain situations, same with social armor slots that IIRC were used as quickswap since 1.1, as 1.1 already had helmet-based class bonuses and option to put real armor in social slot. Right until 1.4 i had zero problems with that, sans for minor nuisance being unable to alter visibility of slots.

This is so stupid. Devs once again trying to force us to play a certain way. This game is already inventory management heavy and now they've made it even more tedious and boring.

We can do it with armor, why is accessories suddenly removed? Is this the work of that petty dev again?
A mod to change accessories back to how they were in 1.3 can't come soon enough.

As I did in another thread that was discussing this, I'd like to join the bandwagon and say that I also hope they revert this terrible change.
I'm constantly manually swapping accessories now, and every time I need to do this I die a little on the inside.

Heaven forbid starting a boss fight and having forgotten to swap my accessories beforehand. In the past 1 or 2 right-clicks fixed it; now I need to dodge incoming bosses while my inventory is open and I'm moving items around.

I have to say, I'm pretty salty about this change.

Only problem is that everyone's mechanisms would break as many rely on hoiks. Hoiks honestly should've been fixed as early as possible before people incorporated them into mechanisms but now it's far too late to fix them.
Is there anything that hoiks can do that conveyors, teleporters, and logic gates can't?

I'd rather convince the team to add a REAL one, since social slots never did a very good job in that capacity.
That would be great actually.

The vast majority of people I have seen play this game felt like social slots restricts were silly.

If this changes comes to mobile too I will 100% not update my game.
I need quick switching not only bc lack of inventory storage but also bc it is extremely useful for playing two chars.
Handling on mobile is already quite fizzling and when that change will come too I‘m not gonna adapt do it.
I like the duplicate glich (which they also took away), they nerfed many items (daedalus bow, fetid bakhasdfasdf, holy arrows, etc) but the vanity thing would be the icing on the cake for me.
1.4 would be really awesome on mobile but not with all those stupid changes.
I don‘t get it why they always have to take stuff away. Just let the game be how it is and IMPROOVE AND ADD.
GOSH is that so difficult....

I am a long time terraria player and am disappointed by this change as well. It was a QoL feature that is now partially limited, but doesn't take away swapping to a charm for healing (which I'm still able to do). Being able to swap back and forth to fishing items is nice, especially during blood moon fishing. Master mode is frustrating with this QoL feature gone.

Please bring back this feature or something similar soon. Add line of hover text (i.e. "item will not show in vanity slot") when an accessory is placed in vanity without a sprite. Perhaps just add another column? First column is vanity only, second is anything, and third is equipped. Visible tick could apply to the right two columns.

I like the full loadout hot swap idea, but it does sound like a lot to implement across all platforms.

A mod to change accessories back to how they were in 1.3 can't come soon enough.
Yeah, I agree with this a ton. There were a lot of changes I didn't necessarily agree with in 1.4, and while I can probably adapt to them after a while, this change makes no sense to me.
Luckily I can't imagine that people wont make a ton of mods to "fix" these issues once Tmodloader gets 1.4 support. I'm half tempted to learn how to mod just to change this back to the way it was.

While waiting eagerly for 1.4 to be released, I remember hearing about the addition of many quality of life improvements. This made me very happy.

As a Linux player who continues to wait patiently for the eventual official Linux support, hearing about the removal of this QOL feature is disheartening.

Whether it was intended or not, I used this feature to make accessory management better.
The inventory size limits were an accepted part of the game, and I did not consider social slots to be extra inventory. I did consider them to be a de facto "hot swap bar" for accessories.
It was useful.

Please consider reverting this change.
Or, even better would be a true hot swap bar.

But I'm told it would be a lot of technical work and take a rather long time, unfortunately.

Seems like it would be fairly straight forward to allow players to power a (wo)mannequin to swap armor and accessories. Vanity only accessories would always swap with player's social accessories.

I've always been indifferent to the vanity stuff anyway. At best it's confusing. If I look like a fisherman, that means I'm NOT using the angler set. If I can see the two dots below my chin, that means I'm NOT using the Shark Necklace. If I see the Shield of Cthulu, who knows? Might be in either slot. More than once I've entered a boss battle wearing the angler set instead of my armor.

Personally, I'd almost rather have no vanity slots at all. The only reason I bother is that at least some things can be put there where I can find them rather than trying to find them where I unthinkingly clicked "Deposit All" into some random chest somewhere in the world, because I forgot to "Favorite" it when I unequipped it.

If "Favorite" stayed with the item, in or out of inventory, in piggies or safes or whatever, that would probably do the trick, though swapping with the vanity row was a heck of a lot more convenient.

[EDIT]
Alternatively, maybe NEVER display the sprite of what is in the equipped slot. Display ONLY the vanity row. At least then it would be consistent. A pain, yes, but consistent.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Seems like it would be fairly straight forward to allow players to power a (wo)mannequin to swap armor and accessories. Vanity only accessories would always swap with player's social accessories.
Perhaps a flying double/wardrobe akin to the piggy bank?

at least some things can be put there where I can find them rather than trying to find them where I unthinkingly clicked "Deposit All" into some random chest somewhere in the world, because I forgot to "Favorite" it when I unequipped it.

If "Favorite" stayed with the item, in or out of inventory, in piggies or safes or whatever, that would probably do the trick, though swapping with the vanity row was a heck of a lot more convenient.
Yes please allow favoriting of swapped accessories to remain it has been way to any times I have "lost" an accessory because I needed to swap them out and the accessory swapped into the formerly favorited slot wasn't favotited.

Back
Top Bottom