tModLoader Esper Class

we need more armors and endgame umm... Dimensional Pillar (idk)?
A couple new armor sets are coming, one for post Plantera, which should come next update, and then the endgame armor, that's further away in updates. Sprite work is underway for the next update, so I am getting closer to endgame content for this mod, but not quite yet. So far, the planned fragments are gravity fragments. The item actually exists in-game already, but is unobtainable outside of cheats. No, there's nothing to craft with them yet if you cheat them in. There won't be a new pillar, as that goes beyond the scope of this mod (new enemies) and my coding skills. The fragments will drop from the vanilla pillars once the content is there.

Thank you once again for your correspondence, and I'm honoured you'd ask! I actually had a couple ideas for ocean-themed psychic weapons beforehand:
-Sea of Tranquility
Jar type weapon; while deployed it will create watery orbs at a set interval, that hang suspended in the air as long as you hold the mouse button. Upon release, these projectiles quickly fly towards nearby enemies, damaging and leaving a lingering "drowning-esque" damage over time effect on them.
-Hadal Grip
Sawblade that rapidly circles the cursor as opposed to bouncing back and forth based on the direction of movement. Enemies stricken by the blade will be given a debuff that causes them to be pulled towards the blade's(cursor's?) position for a few seconds, but refreshes every time the blade hits them, causing a satisfying "ramping up" effect as they are pulled inexorably towards the gnashing teeth of the blade. (Alternatively, the debuff could stack with itself instead of refreshing, increasing the strength that the enemy is pulled with.) (Or, the weapon's knockback direction could just always be towards the cursor.)
-Vision of Depth
Rift type weapon; projects a beam reminiscent of the Aqua Sceptre except in a straight line towards targetted enemy. This beam has unlimited piercing, but deals a bonus instance of damage if it only affects one enemy.

For the mirror buff:
-Reflection of Self
Causes all of your telekinetic damage instances to echo themselves, at 50% damage from the original hit. Could also give the player (and/or their telekinetic weapons) a cosmetic afterimage similar to shadow set bonus.
-Extraspection
Hunter potion effect, allows your telekinetic weapons to ignore collision with terrain- but you gain a Mental Strain debuff that lasts for a moderate duration (somewhere between 3-10 seconds? it could also be based on how long the weapon was inside of a wall for. hard to say.) after any time that your weapon ceases contact with terrain, that prevents it from doing so for a time, behaving as normal.

Now, as for weapons outside of the bounds of the existing psychic weapon archetypes, I could plausibly ramble for hours about different archetypes for psychic weapons, but here's a few ocean themed ones I've cherrypicked:
-Hydrokinetic Spout
First click: Condenses ambient moisture into a single point, spawning a whirlpool style portal where you click.
Second click: Ejects a massive beam of water from the whirlpool's location toward your cursor. After activation, the beam will continue for as long as you continue to hold the mouse button with it equipped, or for a brief time after releasing it (during which it can be refreshed by reusing the weapon, to prevent accidentally ending the entire attack by inadvertently releasing the mouse button.) indicated by the beam thinning out and subsequently the portal closing. The beam will slowly follow your cursor, knocking back enemies along its length, piercing, and maybe slowing them down too as a general deterrant.
-Hyperbaric Press < my personal favourite
Creates a very large circular zone centered on your cursor that deals light damage to enemies within. This zone will shrink as you hold the mouse button, ramping up in damage exponentially. At or near maximum charge, this will inflict "the bends", causing brief confusion every tick and reducing enemy damage output (and/or a damage over time effect). In addition, it is extremely difficult to leave the pressurised zone when it is nearing full charge, keeping enemies strongly held in place unless they can reach a high enough velocity to escape it, (and maybe even allowing you to "force choke" enemies by slowly lifting them off the ground while crushing them with pressure?)
-Hydrosyphon
Similar the first one, but you hold the mouse button to charge it up. By default, this will charge slowly by draining ambient moisture from the air, however- if enemies are nearby, it will pull the moisture straight from their living body; inflicting minor damage, but charging up the weapon even faster. Upon reaching full charge, release the mouse button to create a pressurised explosion of water that inflicts incredible knockback and significant damage. Can also be released early for a less impressive blast. (Could also have an alt-fire that lets you throw the condensed water ball like a grenade when it's at maximum charge?) (Alternatively: Creates a ball that in the air that charges up, allows you to move it around like a standard telekinetic weapon. This would give it more synergy with the "Extraspection" mirror buff idea earlier- and also letting you blast enemies into the air by detonating it beneath their feet from the ground below.)

Oh, and might I add, I desperately desire more and better armour sets. The armour selection feels very limited as is, and doesn't give you much more engagement beyond simply "upgrading" to the next tier until you get to the headbands. A couple ideas in this area:
-Use the mirror as a crafting bench, allowing you to combine a full set of one armour type into an "Engram", allowing you to equip the set bonus separately, either as an accessory or in its own unique designated slot. For example, combining a full set of Cambrian armour would give you a Cambrian Engram, which would in turn give you the free movement and unhindered TK weapons in water. This could simply only extend to the mod's own armour sets, citing that "your psychometry only works on psychically attuned armours." Of course, it would be infinitely engaging if you could memorise ANY armour's set bonus... hehe.
-Add more set bonuses, perhaps with the alternate headpiece mechanic from vanilla. Using the aforementioned mechanic with the alternate headpiece would give you an "Alt Engram" that gives you the other set effect.
-heavily subjective opinion: Flesh out and condense the accessory selection. The vial necklaces are a good concept but I feel like they need more precursor upgrades other than only the terra necklace at very late into the game. Either give them a unique accessory slot in a similar manner to the previously mentioned Engram slot, allow individual vial necklaces to be combined into a new accessory that grants the effects of its constituent parts, or make vial necklaces a series of consumables whose effects you can change between at will with a relevant sub menu.

Hope these help! Let me know what you think, I'm excited to hear back from you.
Alright, I'm finally, finally getting around to replying to this. Here we go.

Sea of Tranquility is my most likely pick to go to. It certainly functions unique in a way that shouldn't be very hard to code. Hadal Grip is also something for consideration. I would likely need to prototype that to see how it behaves in practice.

As for the mirror buffs, Reflection of Self could work, which reminds me of a few accessories from Thorium's throwing overhaul. I'm not sure what the exact damage values would be, since something like 50% would actually be less than half damage due to how defense works and possibly too high even then. Vision of Depth could be pretty cool, although that could be quite tricky for sawblades since they can easily pop in and out of tile collision. It could work well enough for every other weapon type, however.

Hydrokinetic Spout sounds like a turret you place and then direct where it fires. I might not go for that particular idea due to the existence of my Expanded Sentries with similar function, but I won't completely rule it out just yet.

Hyperbaric Press could work as a sort of alternate Gust type weapon. Then again, it also has similar function to a black hole, so the concept may not see use till endgame weapons. Could also show up sooner in progress as a lesser black hole of sorts. Although the size shrinking while damage and knock toward increasing is different in itself.

Hydrosyphon I like the most out of what was given. Maybe I could use that concept as a Moon Lord drop, or as an entirely new weapon type that gets a few weapons added throughout game progression like a locked shadow chest weapon.

The Engram concept is something that's actually done with the many accessories added by Fargo's mods. Not as a separate slot, but as a normal accessory. I do at some point want to add support for Fargo's mods, so the concept would be applied there. As for the vial necklaces, yeah, I could condense a few into combined ones before the ultimate Terra combo. For example, being able to combine the pre-hardmode vial necklaces into one. The sub menu part may not happen, mainly to avoid adding any custom keybinds except as last resort.

I would be opened to more set bonus ideas. Granted, the armor would likely follow a pattern of upgrading still, but I still want the armor you have to stand out before being replaced. The Taurus armor in particular could use an unique set bonus and not just the current 6 max psychosis.

Thank you for your continued feedback. While everyone has ideas, there are only a limited amount I end up considering and using.

I think we could use a potion or accessory that decreases the amount of psychosis that is used whenever you use a telekinetic weapon, maybe bringing the rate at which it falls down 20%, depending on how easy that would be to implement. Also, since psychic powers or telekinesis can manipulate things like projectiles, maybe a item that creates a psychic shield or barrier that protects incoming damage but uses psychosis whenever damage is taken whilst using it. There could be a variant that is found via chests or dropped by enemies, but i feel like if there was to be one pre-boss, it might be a tiny bit op, so maybe one that is made with demonite?

Also the Dirt Rod should be a psychic item and should have various upgrades that relate to what you would be able to mine at various points in the game:
Stone rod could be made with the dirt one, stone and maybe some iron and should be able to pick up stone, dirt, and stuff like clay or mud or sand.
Ore Rod could be made from the Stone Rod and some platinum and should be able to manipulate everything the stone rod could.
Demon Rod/Blood Rod could be made out of evil ore and tissue or scales, depending on the boss and should be able to move every pre-harmode item except from lizhard and dungeon bricks, hellstone and meteorite.
Molten rod could be all pre-hardmode things except lizhard brick.
Hallowed Rod would be all hardmode ores except chlorophyte.
Spectre Rod could be all the hallowed rod blocks plus chlorophyte.
Lizhard Rod could be a golem drop and move every block in the game.
And maybe for no real reason you could implement a rod that can move chests, but not break them, maybe a moon-lord drop.

Maybe a unique armour set could be a post plantera one that needs pumpkin and spooky wood, maybe with ectoplasm. Could be called something like the Fright armour and I'm not sure what it could look like. Since above you said you wanted unique set bonuses, then maybe when you get hit it could spawn pumpkins like the horsemans blade or make some sort of temporary shield (a bit like the shadow dodge ability from titanium/hallowed armour).

One last thing could be the pumpking dropping Spooky boulders or jack-o-lanterns that work the same way as boulders.

Keep up the good work, mod is amazing!

I'm not sure if this has been suggested but the changes to vanilla are potentially problematic. Specifically the alteration of Throwing Knives into telekinetic damage.
What you should do is just have a basic crafting recipe that converts the vanilla knives into telekinetic knives so that there are no alterations made to the vanilla content. You're bound to encounter mod conflicts when you change vanilla stuff.

I think we could use a potion or accessory that decreases the amount of psychosis that is used whenever you use a telekinetic weapon, maybe bringing the rate at which it falls down 20%, depending on how easy that would be to implement. Also, since psychic powers or telekinesis can manipulate things like projectiles, maybe a item that creates a psychic shield or barrier that protects incoming damage but uses psychosis whenever damage is taken whilst using it. There could be a variant that is found via chests or dropped by enemies, but i feel like if there was to be one pre-boss, it might be a tiny bit op, so maybe one that is made with demonite?

Also the Dirt Rod should be a psychic item and should have various upgrades that relate to what you would be able to mine at various points in the game:
Stone rod could be made with the dirt one, stone and maybe some iron and should be able to pick up stone, dirt, and stuff like clay or mud or sand.
Ore Rod could be made from the Stone Rod and some platinum and should be able to manipulate everything the stone rod could.
Demon Rod/Blood Rod could be made out of evil ore and tissue or scales, depending on the boss and should be able to move every pre-harmode item except from lizhard and dungeon bricks, hellstone and meteorite.
Molten rod could be all pre-hardmode things except lizhard brick.
Hallowed Rod would be all hardmode ores except chlorophyte.
Spectre Rod could be all the hallowed rod blocks plus chlorophyte.
Lizhard Rod could be a golem drop and move every block in the game.
And maybe for no real reason you could implement a rod that can move chests, but not break them, maybe a moon-lord drop.

Maybe a unique armour set could be a post plantera one that needs pumpkin and spooky wood, maybe with ectoplasm. Could be called something like the Fright armour and I'm not sure what it could look like. Since above you said you wanted unique set bonuses, then maybe when you get hit it could spawn pumpkins like the horsemans blade or make some sort of temporary shield (a bit like the shadow dodge ability from titanium/hallowed armour).

One last thing could be the pumpking dropping Spooky boulders or jack-o-lanterns that work the same way as boulders.

Keep up the good work, mod is amazing!
I rather focus on max psychosis than adding another stat to reduce psychosis cost. It is fairly easy to code, but then adds another stat to deal with and could be quite a powerful modifier if the numbers got high enough. Utility items using psychosis has crossed my mind before, but, the same thing also came up with mana using utility items. I'm not sure yet on that.

Well, despite what I mentioned above, I do have plans for something like the Dirt Rod, but also doubles as a weapon so not just pure utility. It would be something that upgrades throughout the game in what it can pick up. I considered two options. One is to have it pick up blocks based on the weapon itself, while the second option is to check the highest pickaxe power in the player's inventory. I rather leave the Dirt Rod itself untouched, especially since using a rod to move blocks is far closer to magic than using your mind to move objects. As for moving chests, no easy way I can think of that to make it work. Probably would be too much trouble so not likely to happen.

The post Plantera armor is still up in the air for what it can be, so we'll see what it turns out to be. It should come the next update. It's the most I have for ideas so far in regards to the set bonus. I already have a drop planned for Pumpking and the other moon event bosses. I think it will be a type of boulder weapon.

Thanks for the praise! Sadly, it might be a while before the next update because there hasn't been new sprites made in a while for next update.
I'm not sure if this has been suggested but the changes to vanilla are potentially problematic. Specifically the alteration of Throwing Knives into telekinetic damage.
What you should do is just have a basic crafting recipe that converts the vanilla knives into telekinetic knives so that there are no alterations made to the vanilla content. You're bound to encounter mod conflicts when you change vanilla stuff.
Throwing Knifes? Huh, those should be entirely untouched by this mod. If not, that's a bug. The only vanilla change I made was to the Flying Knife. I did have in mind for the 1.4 revamp and combining of this and Expanded Sentries into one mod, to have two config options, one to touch vanilla items, another to touch other modded items. Could you give me your mod list? Might be a conflict somewhere causing Throwing Knifes to be affected. No promises I can fix it on my end, but I'll certainly look into it.

Throwing Knifes? Huh, those should be entirely untouched by this mod. If not, that's a bug. The only vanilla change I made was to the Flying Knife. I did have in mind for the 1.4 revamp and combining of this and Expanded Sentries into one mod, to have two config options, one to touch vanilla items, another to touch other modded items. Could you give me your mod list? Might be a conflict somewhere causing Throwing Knifes to be affected. No promises I can fix it on my end, but I'll certainly look into it.

Yeah pardon my typo I meant the Flying Knife.

I am also not saying that I am experiencing an issue, just giving some advice on how to avoid potential conflicts. Whenever you edit vanilla content you run the risk of encountering another mod that also makes changes to vanilla content.

Generally speaking mods that change existing stuff are more likely to break and/or cause issues than mods that only add stuff.

I think it is a good idea to combine this with expanded sentries. Personally I love that mod and use it on all my playthroughs.

Yeah pardon my typo I meant the Flying Knife.

I am also not saying that I am experiencing an issue, just giving some advice on how to avoid potential conflicts. Whenever you edit vanilla content you run the risk of encountering another mod that also makes changes to vanilla content.

Generally speaking mods that change existing stuff are more likely to break and/or cause issues than mods that only add stuff.

I think it is a good idea to combine this with expanded sentries. Personally I love that mod and use it on all my playthroughs.
The Flying Knife might rarely get touched by other mods, but yeah, multiple mods editing the same content could be troublesome. I would have to see how a copy of the weapon but telekinetic instead of melee can work.

Thanks again for more praise! Come tModLoader 1.4, I plan on combining this with Expanded Sentries, plus my upcoming Minstrel Class mod, all into one content mod where I can also add other things that wouldn't have fit in any other mod alone and to make it easier to handle content between them without managing multiple mods at once.

The Flying Knife might rarely get touched by other mods, but yeah, multiple mods editing the same content could be troublesome. I would have to see how a copy of the weapon but telekinetic instead of melee can work.

Thanks again for more praise! Come tModLoader 1.4, I plan on combining this with Expanded Sentries, plus my upcoming Minstrel Class mod, all into one content mod where I can also add other things that wouldn't have fit in any other mod alone and to make it easier to handle content between them without managing multiple mods at once.
You could maybe do something like Thorium and other mods where you can craft it into a melee weapon and vice versa, maybe at a demon altar or alchemy station.

Thought this was cool and decided to add to some of the armor sprites:
Wyvern_armor_%28Esper_Class%29.gif
Cambrian_armor_%28Esper_Class%29.gif
feel free to use this

Maybe a few QOF updates like a bind for quick psychosis (annoying to have psychosis pots in my hotbar at all times) or a new lamp that decreases psychosis usage kinda like the star in a bottle?

Maybe a few QOF updates like a bind for quick psychosis (annoying to have psychosis pots in my hotbar at all times) or a new lamp that decreases psychosis usage kinda like the star in a bottle?
I can see about a keybind. I tend to avoid having keybinds in my mods, but, this is just a quicker way to access something you can already do, as opposite as to having a key bind be the only way to do something. I might not do the latter, having a means to reduce psychosis usage, as I don't want to make it too similar to mana, more than it already may be.

who else using it only for the tk dodge lol?
For the past few days, it's something I've been thinking about a lot. Once the 1.4 port happens, I'm not sure if this feature will remain, at least in its current form. Theme wise, it's meant to be you having a form of precognition in order to dodge, but I know gameplay wise, it equally benefits any class. Still, it'll remain in its current form for now, for future 1.3 updates to this mod.

For the past few days, it's something I've been thinking about a lot. Once the 1.4 port happens, I'm not sure if this feature will remain, at least in its current form. Theme wise, it's meant to be you having a form of precognition in order to dodge, but I know gameplay wise, it equally benefits any class. Still, it'll remain in its current form for now, for future 1.3 updates to this mod.
make the dodge cost psychosis so the other classes can’t use it as often

Back
Top Bottom