NPCs & Enemies [Event] The Fog

O_Nothing

Skeletron Prime
FogTitle.png

“The Fog is rolling in…”

The Fog is a mystical, cryptid-themed event that occurs after Skeletron has been defeated. It has a 1 in 9 chance of occurring each ingame day, lasting 15 minutes.

While the Fog event is occurring, the background will disappear, gaining a smoky white animated fog texture. All ingame blocks and enemies appear darker and more desaturated, giving them a silhouetted appearance. The player’s vision actually isn’t affected that much, other than an aesthetic white vignette around the screen.

Unlike other events like Rain and Blood Moon events, Fog events only affect a third of the world at a time, either the right, left, or central sections. The sections that the Fog isn’t affecting won’t spawn the enemies, but will have a minor mist effect in the background.

Sprites would be appreciated btw

Bog Monster

Bog Monster.png

Sprite by @Reepicheep

HP: 75
DMG: 20
DEF: 8
Drops: Bog Monster Banner

A zombie-like creature covered in moss and other gross bits. Uses the Fighter AI.

Mistwolf

Mist Wolf fulltest.png

Sprite by @Reepicheep
HP: 60 (small), 75 (medium), 90 (large)
DMG: 18 (small), 22 (medium), 25 (large)
DEF: 7 (small), 9 (medium), 11 (large)
Drops: Invisibility Cloak (3.5%), Horde Horn (2%), Mistwolf Banner

Mistwolves are shadowy wolf monsters that can appear in three different sizes, each size with their own stats. They have this annoying tendency to phase in and out of reality, shifting between translucent and opaque. The more translucent a Mistwolf is, the higher their speed, but the lower their damage and defense. Use the Unicorn AI.

Strider
HP: 45
DMG: 14
DEF: 12
Drops: Bubble Wand (2.5%), Strider Banner

Black, spider-like creatures with long legs. They don’t walk around upright like regular enemies. Instead, Striders use their four spider limbs to latch onto things, sort of like Plantera, to move around. Their limbs deal damage along with their bodies, allowing them to effectively block off corridors and tight spaces.

Mothman
Mothman.png

Sprite by @Reepicheep, edited slightly.

HP: 50
DMG: 28
DEF: 14
Drops: Flutter Staff (2%), Mothman Banner

These guys fly back and forth over the player’s head, occasionally swooping down to damage them.

HARDMODE

Wendigo
HP: 400
DMG: 30 (walking) 60 (sprinting)
DEF: 20
Drops: Dreamcatcher (2.75%), Styx Longbow (2%), Wendigo Banner

A mythical two-legged zombie deer. Typically, they walk towards the player at a leisurely pace, using their regular old Fighter AI. Every once in a while they’ll drop on all fours and break into a sprint, dealing increased damage.

Lone Wanderer
Lone wanderer.png Wander Shadow V2.png
Sprites by @Muninn, edited a little bit by me.

HP: 450
DMG: 70
DEF: 10
Drops: Animus Pendant (1.5%), Phantom Mask (0.5%), Lone Wanderer Banner

A well-dressed, seemingly innocuous man. Rather than chasing after the player, the Lone Wanderer will instead wander around with your typical NPC AI. When the player approaches, the Wanderer will release a shadowy wraith-like being that will attack the player.

The shadow is quite fast and will attack with a variety of special moves and charge attacks. It’s also invincible (though susceptible to knockback). Only the Wanderer NPC can be damaged.

AFTER 1 MECH BOSS IS DEFEATED

Faceless
Faceless.png The Faceless.png

Sprites by @Reepicheep and @Muninn, respectively.

HP: 3500
DMG: 60
DEF: 30
Drops: Will O’ Wisp (33.3%), Shade Serenade (33.3%), Faceless Banner

Psst…psst… it looks like Slenderman.

The Faceless is a completely stationary miniboss that arbitrarily buffs enemies in a large area around it with increased damage, speed, and defense. The Faceless itself does not typically attack the player directly, though sometimes it will summon black tentacles beneath the player’s feet to damage them.

If the player stays on the same screen as the Faceless for more than 15-20 seconds, the player will receive the Voodoo debuff, which damages the player whenever they leave the Faceless's FoV. This debuff is accompanied by a visual effect that increases the opaqueness of the fog. This debuff lasts until the Faceless is defeated.

Invisibility Cloak
Accessory

A magical cloak that, when equipped, allows the player to turn invisible by standing still. This effect is similar to that from the Psycho Knife, though minus the damage boost.

Horde Horn
Magic Weapon

Damage: 35
Speed: Very Fast
Knockback: Average

Summons a wolf shaped projectile that curves in the direction of the cursor. These projectiles dissipate after making contact with an enemy.

Bubble Wand
Magic Weapon

Damage: 28
Speed: Fast
Knockback: Weak

Generates a smoke bubble that more-or-less drifts towards the cursor. Upon contact with any enemy, the bubble pops, dealing minor AoE damage.

Flutter Staff
Summoner Weapon

Damage: 20
Speed: Average
Knockback: Weak

Summons a cute little moth to fight for the player, which attacks by repeatedly dive-bombing the targeted enemy.

Dreamcatcher
Accessory

Debuffs inflicted on the player only last half as long as they normally would.

Styx Longbow
Ranged Weapon

"Styx and stones"
Damage: 45-65
Knockback: Very Strong

By holding down the mouse button, the bow can be charged, increasing the arrow velocity and damage. At full charge, fired arrows will stick into enemies, dealing continuous damage.

Animus Pendant
Accessory

Upon taking damage, the player has a chance of summoning a shadowy clone that will briefly attack the nearest enemy before dissipating.

Phantom Mask
Vanity

A strange white half-mask.

Will O’ Wisp
Melee Weapon

"It flickers with a strange light."
Damage: 40
Knockback: Average

A shimmering spear-like weapon. Upon being deployed, the spear instantaneously extends to its full range, remaining fully extended for a couple of seconds. Enemies caught within are “impaled,” essentially stunlocked in place and dealt continuous damage.

Shade Serenade
Magic Weapon

"Discordant music emanates from within."
Damage: 50
Speed: Average
Knockback: Very Strong

A sort of post-Mech upgrade to the Clinger Staff, the Shade Serenade generates a large rift in reality at the point that the cursor is clicked, dealing continuous damage to enemies caught within.

Attachments

• TheFoof.png
    TheFoof.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 550
  • Lone wanderer.png
    Lone wanderer.png
    426 bytes · Views: 267
  • Doppelganger Shadow.png
    Doppelganger Shadow.png
    690 bytes · Views: 271
  • Mist Wolf.gif
    Mist Wolf.gif
    6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
This is a nice idea, but I think you should restrict the player's field of vision as well. Maybe let a player see about as far as a normal Torch can illuminate. Other light sources would be half as effective. For a thick fog event, I like the concept of not knowing what's lurking beyond your sight. You never know when something is going to jump out and scare you...

Bonus points for calling your file name The Foof. :)

I'd think that there would be potential for an awfully rare Bigfoot miniboss, perhaps teleporting around as if it's incredibly fast.

I'd think that there would be potential for an awfully rare Bigfoot miniboss, perhaps teleporting around as if it's incredibly fast.

It's a cool idea, but I had ultimately decided to leave out any sort of "Sasquatch" creature, since I always found the concept to be a bit meh.

That does sound like an ability that I would give the Wendigo creature, however.

I think the Faceless's Voodoo debuff could be improved. I think it's a little too complicated and dangerousfor a mini-boss. Instead I think the voodoo debuff should work a little more like the Wall of Flesh's Horrified debuff. Say that if the Faceless isn't on screen, you'll be taking a lot of DoT, for example. And I think you should be able to escape with the magic mirror. Otherwise it's a little too much for a miniboss IMO.

Other than that, great idea. Really unique and cool concepts for weapons and enemies alike.

I think the Faceless's Voodoo debuff could be improved. I think it's a little too complicated and dangerousfor a mini-boss. Instead I think the voodoo debuff should work a little more like the Wall of Flesh's Horrified debuff. Say that if the Faceless isn't on screen, you'll be taking a lot of DoT, for example. And I think you should be able to escape with the magic mirror. Otherwise it's a little too much for a miniboss IMO.

Other than that, great idea. Really unique and cool concepts for weapons and enemies alike.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'll probably need to tweak that debuff a little.

I'm a bit confused, you say this event occurs after at least one non Wall of Flesh boss has been defeated, and there is only a 1 in 9 chance of it happening. If I'm understanding correctly you could beat the Eye of Cthulhu, wait for the event with a lava trap at the ready and farm the hell out of monsters. you would then have O.P. weapons for pre hardmode, that would carry you right up to the Wall of Flesh.
I hope I am just being dumb or accidentally skimmed over something to do with this.

Other then that I like the idea, 1/2 support

I'm a bit confused, you say this event occurs after at least one non Wall of Flesh boss has been defeated, and there is only a 1 in 9 chance of it happening. If I'm understanding correctly you could beat the Eye of Cthulhu, wait for the event with a lava trap at the ready and farm the hell out of monsters. you would then have O.P. weapons for pre hardmode, that would carry you right up to the Wall of Flesh.
I hope I am just being dumb or accidentally skimmed over something to do with this.

Other then that I like the idea, 1/2 support

Shoot, you're right. I never considered lava traps. What I could do is increase the prerequisites for the event, i.e having it only spawn when Skeletron is defeated. The loot is around Dungeon-tier anyways. The "1 in 9" part is the same chance as a Blood Moon, though that's subject to change.

Shoot, you're right. I never considered lava traps. What I could do is increase the prerequisites for the event, i.e having it only spawn when Skeletron is defeated. The loot is around Dungeon-tier anyways. The "1 in 9" part is the same chance as a Blood Moon, though that's subject to change.
TBH I'm surprised I even thought of that. That's so not like me :p
I think making it only accessible after Skeletron makes sense, especially since the fog sounds like it would come from a place like the dungeon. As for the 1 in 9 chance, I think that is fine as long as you can't farm it from day 2 (assuming you are unlucky enough to get it on day 2)

Sounds like a wonderful idea, but.... The 8-24 minutes is a bit odd, if it's in real time that's anywhere from all of daytime to almost two full night/day cycles. If it's in game time then you have 8-24 seconds to locate the fog and try to do something, hardly enough time for someone who killed Skeletron a bit ago. I feel like it would fit in more with Terraria events if it lasted a full day, like the Solar Eclipse. Or it could be like the slime rain, with each normal enemy counting as one point, after so many points you have to face, well, Faceless, of course that would mess up all the requirements and stuff.... Anyways, my main point is that it might be better to give players more time to get some of those cool items. It's a good idea, and I'll give my support, I'm sure if it gets into the game the devs will do what's best.

Edit: I would make sprites, but mine are always small and generally low quality....

Thanks for the feedback! I was generally at a loss for how long to make the event last. The 8-24 minutes does refer to real-world minutes, though it does seem a tad bit long, as you said. I'll lower it down to 15 minutes, the same length as a Solar Eclipse.

Sprites would be great! No matter how shoddy you say they might be, they'll still be better than anything I can come up with.

The drop chances are WAY too low on most items in this suggestion. To make the event really worth the player's time, you should probably up the percentages to something like 1-15%
A+ on the creativity though!

The drop chances are WAY too low on most items in this suggestion. To make the event really worth the player's time, you should probably up the percentages to something like 1-15%
A+ on the creativity though!

And here I was thinking that the drop rates were too high. Thanks for letting me know!

Annnnd I just got done with some kinda meh sprites, basically I got bored of what I was doing, saw an alert for this thread, and made some sprites. If you could tell me how to improve some of them that'd be great (mostly the Faceless, that one stinks.....) But without further ado, the sprites.

"After wandering the forest for ages, this, thing, is covered in moss, and small bits of metal still show, pointing to it's past...."
Bog Monster.png

You said Zombie like, so I just did a re-sprite of the moss version, and added a bit here and there.

"Hey, there's a guy over there, maybe he needs help...."
Lone Wanderer.png
Lone WadererNB.png

Looks well dressed to me, shiny hat included in purchase. There's two versions of him, one has blood on the shirt, one without.

"Wolves are always bad, and ones that are alone are worse...."
Mist Wolf full.png

This is a true re-sprite, because why change what already looks like a wolf?
I tried making a fade thing, it's kinda annoying....
Mist Wolf fade.gif

"This abomination moves between walls with ease, and it's legs are covered in spikes, engage from afar."
Strider.png

Not too happy about this one, I used the Black-Recluse as a base idea, it's just a tad smaller.

"Some insane scientist at the lab made this thing, and now it wants to eat, who knows if it can still think or not...."
Mothman.png

This one was based off of the moth (duh) and the guide, I fell like this one came out really well.

"Looks angry, maybe it wants to be petted!"
Wendigo.png

This one was interesting, I had to use the Unicorn and Rudolph to get the legs and such right.

"Fog covers this one, making it out is hard, but something... something...."
Faceless.png

This is the one I really don't like, started out black, turned green, then it was too small, so I resized it, that didn't work, ugh.

Weird, most of them are looking left.... The quotes are things I thought of while making the sprites, just thought I'd add them.

Back
Top Bottom