Pixel Art Every Unique Possible Tile/Wall Color Combination (Map-Overlay)

A while back I had created a tool that could assist in the creation of pixelarts. In doing so, I needed to get a collection of colors for the software to use within an color filter. Doing some reverse-engineering and way too much coding, I have managed to grab each block/wall color as they would appear on the games map. This includes all 32 paints per wall / block. I have then dumped this list to a spreadsheet and removed all the duplicate hex codes. This leaves us with 4,006! unique colors you can make something with on the map. This is out of just over 30,000 entries. I have taken the curtesy to drop the spreadsheet on this forum. It could be useful for anyone attempting to make a color list of their own or finding those tricky to find colors, for me it was pink!

cool.PNG

View of TileHexColors.wld
Capture.PNG

Attachments

• TileHexColors.wld
    252.7 KB · Views: 264
  • TerrariaTileMapColors.zip
    943.9 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:

Update 01JUN22
So I have been working hard on a solution to sort the massive data of colors into a sort of "rainbow". You cannot simply sort colors based on the hex value as they will be visually random in placement. as demonstrated bellow.

sort_random.png

So I opted to use a custom algorithm that simply sorts based on hue over HSV. This generates a more so step sorting over a luminosity sorting. Bellow shows a new pattern I'm generating.

all_colors.png

This is the tool I coded to complete the task. For you nerds I'm using a List<Tuple<string, string, Color>>.
ColorTool.PNG

I have gone and replaced the spreadsheet with the updated one.

Update 03Jun22:
UniqueAddedColors.PNG

Four sorting algorithms added:
• Tile ID • Hue • 8 Rep Step Sorting • 8 Rep Inverse Step Sorting

Update 05Jun22:
Added the block/wall's (name) next to all IDs.

Update 23Jul22:
If anyone is interested in how I did all this, check out my github post.​

Last edited:
Great post, I would like to use pixel art more in my buildings.
However, I was limited to manually selecting color combinations. The world with all the colors in tedit is very useful, as is the table. It's a pity that you don't publish the application itself for translating pixel art into a game. I'll have to develop it myself (

Great post, I would like to use pixel art more in my buildings.
However, I was limited to manually selecting color combinations. The world with all the colors in tedit is very useful, as is the table. It's a pity that you don't publish the application itself for translating pixel art into a game. I'll have to develop it myself (

The application SortHexColors I do have published on my github. Feel free to check it out! I go into great detail on how I did all this there as well as any updates :dryadpassionate:

I previously hoped that you would update the .xlsx spreadsheet to version 1.4.4.9, but now I have exported the latest color data according to your GitHub tutorial. Thank you!
I don't want to brag, but I made a mod that allowed me to scan a palette without resorting to a third-party program (dnspy). It also sorts all colors, also without resorting to third-party programs. All you need to work is a purchased version of Terraria on Steam. However, since advertising or anything like that is prohibited, I will not post the link. So consider that I just wrote some kind of fiction.

I don't want to brag, but I made a mod that allowed me to scan a palette without resorting to a third-party program (dnspy). It also sorts all colors, also without resorting to third-party programs. All you need to work is a purchased version of Terraria on Steam. However, since advertising or anything like that is prohibited, I will not post the link. So consider that I just wrote some kind of fiction.
I'm very interested in your mod. Could you please tell me its name and provide some detailed information? Thank you!

A little bit later... I decided to redo the mod a little, it will take some time.
I'm really looking forward to it! I have always been very passionate about pixel art development in Terraria. I have tried implementing it in Python and Golang, but despite generating a lot of pixel art, the results didn't satisfy me. If there's an opportunity, we can exchange experiences.

Used DNSpy as that gives 100% accurate results using the games functions. It also only takes 20 seconds to setup not requiring any coding of mods exc. That is why I took this approach.

Used DNSpy as that gives 100% accurate results using the games functions. It also only takes 20 seconds to setup not requiring any coding of mods exc. That is why I took this approach.
Perhaps, but for inexperienced people like me, a mod will most likely be more convenient than this application. All this was further reinforced by the fact that I simply could not get the palette using DNSpy. But, I tested the mod, and there are no deviations in the rendering of the palette on the map. Unless there are walls made of confetti and Xenos Moss (I could be wrong) walls that are displayed differently in the tmodloader than in terraria (in the game they don’t have paint, but in the tmodloader they do)

Back
Top Bottom