PS4 Everything wrong with 1.4

OnePointThree

Terrarian
Biggest grievances. What's yours?
Not looking for those who jump to 1.4's defence. I get it: you adore it. Not the point of this.

My top three issues with 1.4

1. The controls. Seriously. I just don't even know where to begin. Why are they changed?
2. The UI. Especially stacking crafting. Just why? why?! Also the text.
3. "Improvements" - lack of vanity, npc happiness, hp regen tampered with, not stacking accessories, moon lord beam buff, etc, etc, etc.

Oh and my biggest issue with 1.4 - the forced auto update. Despite disabling the auto update, it still forced itself over my copy. Can't get the terraria ps4 greatest hits to recognise my saves due to later updates. (I have a 1.2 disk too).

So those are my top gripes. What about yours?

I’m on PC but my top gripe is definitely NPC happiness. It’s such an insult to the concept of a sandbox game that I struggle to understand why Redigit decided to make a sandbox in the first place if he was so intent on getting players to build in a specific way.

Some lesser ones but here we go
• The Balance:
Is it better than 1.3? Absolutely, but not for the reason you’d think. Ranger in 1.3 wasn’t broken, the other classes were just garbage, and 1.4 brought them all up to standard. As for broken items like Stormbow and Leaf wings in 1.3, I will say 6 words: Obsidian Armor, Sanguine Staff, Gelatinous Pillion. There are still items in 1.4 that are astronomically more powerful than the competition. Let’s not pretend there isn’t.

•Polish
Okay let me make myself clear: Terraria isn’t a mess to play. That said, the last content update for Terraria absolutely needed more polish. 1.4.1 brought along several balance changes that DESPERATELY needed playtesting and it’s extremely clear that both 1.4 and 1.4.1 were very rushed. Either the developers bit off more than they could chew for each update or they set their deadlines too early. Either way, the cracks really show.

Last edited:
Biggest grievances. What's yours?
Not looking for those who jump to 1.4's defence. I get it: you adore it. Not the point of this.

You can't just list subjective grievances and deny people a chance to counter them. A person is fully capable of adoring the update, having grievances themselves, and disagreeing with your grievances.

1. The controls. Seriously. I just don't even know where to begin. Why are they changed?
The control setup in 1.3 wasn't even suitable for 1.3. So many things were inconvenient to say the least. Grappling instead of opening a chest or talking to an NPC, or the frustrating way of managing buffs and minions are just a couple of examples. Choosing whether to have a buff potion shortcut, or a mana one, was another. Trying to fit 1.4 content around that would have been impossible.

I have been playing 1.4 on mobile using a PS4 controller since it dropped, and I suppose that gives me an advantage, in that the controls are pretty much the same. I have gotten used to a lot of it, and I'm sure others, like yourself, will as well.

Stacking crafting? I'm not sure what you mean.

The text could be clearer, I agree, especially if you sit some way away from the TV.

Oh and my biggest issue with 1.4 - the forced auto update. Despite disabling the auto update, it still forced itself over my copy. Can't get the terraria ps4 greatest hits to recognise my saves due to later updates. (I have a 1.2 disk too).
I paused my update, and could have cancelled it if I chose to. I was not forced to update, other than if I wanted to play online, but that is standard on consoles. I play on PS4, and it may be different on XBox, I don't know, but I have never had an update I couldn't stop.

That said, I miss keeping accessories in vanity slots. I don't get why this was changed. It allowed quicker swapping for different load outs.

Last edited:
Hey bud, maybe you can't read. Stop white knighting, 'kay. Your defence of 1.4 isn't welcome here. See the original post.
Hey bud, maybe YOU can't read, because Calen literally quoted you in their comment, and pointed out that you can't expect noone to disagree with your points.

Have a nice day. :)

Hey bud, maybe you can't read. Stop white knighting, 'kay. Your defence of 1.4 isn't welcome here. See the original post.

Firstly, I am not your 'bud' - I don't know you, so please don't call me that.

Secondly, if you don't like my points, then simply ignore them rather than insult my intelligence by suggesting maybe I can't read. Especially considering you didn't read all my post, as I agreed with you on one of your points, and put forward a grievance of my own.

Thirdly, as far as I am aware, my posts are as welcome in this thread as much as anywhere, and you don't get to dictate who may or may not post. You may only want to hear opinions that agree with yours, but if you post a public thread disparaging the update, then you are going to have people respond and counter that.

Before, I was being considerate, and ignoring the fact that your original post isn't a list of grievances. I no longer wish to be considerate. Your thread - it's a :red:ing post.

You basically made a list of things you don't like about the update, without explaining a single reason as to why. If you want your grievances to be listened to then you need to explain them.

Furthermore, I quote:
Why are they changed?

That is a question (barely) and I provided an answer. If you don't want answers then don't ask the question.

Have a nice day, yourself.

do you mean the crafted items going directly to the inventory? if so you can switch if off using the setting Settings->Controller->Auto Stash

wrt the text, do you mean the pickup text? if so you can turn that off Settings->Interface->Advanced->Pickup Text
We are currently making some modifications to the controls to allow some older methodologies to occur, if you are a little more objective about your feedback wrt the controls and what you would like to see back / what you feel is missing we can take this all on board and make it happen.

Hey bud, maybe YOU can't read, because Calen literally quoted you in their comment, and pointed out that you can't expect noone to disagree with your points.

Oh look, another white knight! How constructive your reply is! Stop trolling, bud. Either follow the guidelines set out in the OP or don't post. It's common etiquette.

Have a nice day. :) :)

Firstly, I am not your 'bud' - I don't know you, so please don't call me that.

Secondly, if you don't like my points, then simply ignore them rather than insult my intelligence by suggesting maybe I can't read. Especially considering you didn't read all my post, as I agreed with you on one of your points, and put forward a grievance of my own.

Thirdly, as far as I am aware, my posts are as welcome in this thread as much as anywhere, and you don't get to dictate who may or may not post. You may only want to hear opinions that agree with yours, but if you post a public thread disparaging the update, then you are going to have people respond and counter that.

Before, I was being considerate, and ignoring the fact that your original post isn't a list of grievances. I no longer wish to be considerate. Your thread - it's a :red:ing post.

You basically made a list of things you don't like about the update, without explaining a single reason as to why. If you want your grievances to be listened to then you need to explain them.

Furthermore, I quote:

That is a question (barely) and I provided an answer. If you don't want answers then don't ask the question.

Have a nice day, yourself.

Sure thing bud. You ignore the guideline for the post and demand I play by your rules? Not happening.

Have a blessed day. :)

do you mean the crafted items going directly to the inventory? if so you can switch if off using the setting Settings->Controller->Auto Stash

wrt the text, do you mean the pickup text? if so you can turn that off Settings->Interface->Advanced->Pickup Text

We are currently making some modifications to the controls to allow some older methodologies to occur, if you are a little more objective about your feedback wrt the controls and what you would like to see back / what you feel is missing we can take this all on board and make it happen.

I am talking about the UI when you access the crafting menu. The current layout vs the old layout. For example with wood in your inventory and gel, you can make torches, platforms, workbench, etc. Instead of being vertical they're horizontal. For players who have been with terraria since 1.2 there are a lot of changes which are not intuitive. The crafting menu UI is one of them.

I'm glad to hear you'll be restoring the old controller scheme.

Objective? 1.3 had a great UI, it had fantastic balance, it had vanities, it had everything right imo. 1.4 undoes almost all of that.
HP regen worked the way it was. Now you have to conform to a non-hp regen style.
Vanities allowed disguise and fun armours. Why were they removed?
Why was the control scheme changed?
Why was the UI altered?
and most of all: why was there no "do you want to update yes/no" button????

I am happy to go on.

This thread is to see if anyone else feels that way.

Last edited:
Oh look, another white knight! How constructive your reply is! Stop trolling, bud. Either follow the guidelines set out in the OP or don't post. It's common etiquette.
I haven't defended the update at all, I don't even own a PS4, all I did was call you out on your hypocrisy... If you ask others to read your post, be polite enough to do the same, please...

On another note, you demanding no critique just shows, how little confidence you have for your claims, it just shows that even you think they'd fall apart at the smallest doubt. So the only troll in this discussion, if you can even call it that, is you.

Have a horrible day, bud.

I don't need a PS4 to see how shallow your argument is, bud.
Because you can't stop me from posting, it's a free discussion. If you don't want the feedback, the criticism, and so on... you shouldn't post online.

I'll give in and leave though, because unlike you, I don't need the gratification of hating on everyone that doesn't agree with me, bud.
We already live in interesting times, so you have, again, no point.

And last thing, stop calling me "bud"... you can simply call me Froid. Bye!

It is not for you to decide what kind of responses are welcome in threads, even if you were the one who made it. The point of a thread is to invite public discussion, and to set down guidelines that prevent people from disagreeing with you (which you don't have the authority to do in the first place) defies said point.

You are free to list your grievances and everyone else is free to debate them, as long as it's done civilly and on-topic. This was the case with @Calen's original reply, so there was no cause for you to tell them to go away, and especially not in the tone of voice you used.

If you want to able to voice your opinions without being challenged, then TCF is not the place for it.

Alright, I think It's my time to take a shot at these points
Damn uh, Game has been re-written for a second time? Also controversial opinion: the controls are perfectly serviceable and adequately adjustable to be altered to ones liking
The UI? nah it's better than it's ever been 'chap'. For stack crafting, well you haven't elaborated so I'm going with what Angryhippo said and say it's the auto stashing. I have no issues with the text so there is nothing to say on the matter
3. "Improvements" - lack of vanity, npc happiness, hp regen tampered with, not stacking accessories, moon lord beam buff, etc, etc, etc.
In the style of hulk Hogan "Vanity never left Brother" also the armour tab is collapsed by default, and everything else too, all you need to do is press on the tabs Icon once and it will expand. Npc happiness is great I like making people happy and since this point is very not thought out I can only reply that I like it. HP regen is only changed in expert and master mode, optional modes that make the game harder, which can be reduced or nullified by eating food (which there are a lot of options). if your talking about equipping two Hermes boot those days are long gone. Just keep moving. Ect. Ect. Ect

anyways the settings menu could have a side box that houses a description of the setting your on, I did not know what auto stash was until Angryhippo said it was (thank you by the way) also I would like an option in the UI layout settings menu to be able to change the default state of my groups, I would much rather have them in their expanded state please and thank you

an addendum is required here, this dude won't reply to you publicly anymore but DM you. probably not worth the effort responding so just leave, maybe send a meme, refuse to elaborate and leave. either way I'm putting this guys status to:🤡 mode as I'm sure they have done with us

statement revoked

Last edited:
There you are derailing with your trolling behind polite words. If you aren't going to be constructive have the courtesy to butt out.

Have a swell day, bud. :)
Whatever you say, bud. It's blatantly clear you and this community have no idea what common etiquette is in regards to staying on topic. Since that's your decision I'll say nothing more and watch as the white knights trash a topic 'cause they're singing the Devs praises. Ain't free speech a wonderful thang.

Have a blessed day, mod.

Having been a moderator/staff member for 8 years on a different site, posting this goes entirely against my better judgement, but I'll take your bait and bite.

You talk of common etiquette, and yet despite my polite request, you continued to refer to me as "bud" in a puerile attempt to goad me into a reaction. I ignored that. I noticed, but ignored it.

I shall now refer to you how I would refer to the newbie drag queens I've had the pleasure to befriend over the years; child.

So, you mention free speech as being a wonderful thing. Well, that cuts both ways, child. This is a public forum, and welcomes open discussion. If you had joined more than 6 days ago, you would know that about these forums, child.

You call me a "white knight" - one of those who sing the devs praises. I think not. My first post after the update was a :red: (that I immediately regretted) regarding cropping of the edges of the screen, and how the devs should have tested it properly. My next was a :red: about the some things still not working. See, just because someone disagrees with your personal opinion, doesn't make them a white night, child.

As I said in my first post, it is entirely possible for someone to love the update, but still have grievances with the game. It is also possible for someone to disagree with you, without defending the update. The two are not mutually exclusive, child.

We welcome different points of view here, and enjoy a good discussion about the game. Even more so when people have opposing views. It's interesting. It's heated sometimes. Sometimes very heated. What's the point if everyone just agrees, child?

Now I am going to pick apart your specifics:

Vanities are still I the game and you can still wear them. I have been since about 20 minutes after the update dropped. I have no idea what your issue is with vanities. Maybe if you had elucidated your grievances in your first post, I would understand, child.

I'm still waiting for you to explain your objective dislikes of the new UI, controller scheme, and balance issues, child.

If you don't even have a ps4 you are trolling by being here. This is a discussion about what is wrong with 1.4. There are plenty of other threads that extol the virtues of 1.4. This ain't one of them but you just can't resist, can you? You just have to derail like the special snowflake you are. I ain't putting up with it, or your kind bud. So butt out.

Aside from console specific bugs, the PS4 and XBone versions are the same. Anything said about one, essentially applies to the other. They are free to join the discussion as much as anyone else, child.

And come on - resorting to petty insults such as snowflake. You can't handle someone disagreeing with you, so you call them snowflake? Seriously, child?

I am now entirely bored with this discussion, and with respect, your attitude, so we're done, child.

A thousand blessings on you, child.

Hi everyone, while all types of criticism is wholly welcome - whether it be positive or negative - what isn't going to be allowed here is to poke at other members by calling them names or dismissing them with impolite posts. This is the final warning for this thread.

To be clear - you can hate the game and list out all the things that you don't like. There is never going to be a time that constructive criticism is disallowed here. However, it's when you cross the line into discussing what you don't like about a fellow member or how they are posting that is going to be a problem here. If you find that you are removed from this thread it is not because you voiced that you did or didn't like the game, it is because you have crossed the line into making it personal.

Also, folks. I mean, come on. You have a developer that actually works on the console game in this thread that was willing to personally listen to your feedback on ways that you think the game could be made better, and all you want to do is poke at each other? That tells me that the purpose of complaining about the game is just for show, and not to have it actually "fixed".

Hi everyone, while all types of criticism is wholly welcome - whether it be positive or negative - what isn't going to be allowed here is to poke at other members by calling them names or dismissing them with impolite posts. This is the final warning for this thread.

To be clear - you can hate the game and list out all the things that you don't like. There is never going to be a time that constructive criticism is disallowed here. However, it's when you cross the line into discussing what you don't like about a fellow member or how they are posting that is going to be a problem here. If you find that you are removed from this thread it is not because you voiced that you did or didn't like the game, it is because you have crossed the line into making it personal.

Also, folks. I mean, come on. You have a developer that actually works on the console game in this thread that was willing to personally listen to your feedback on ways that you think the game could be made better, and all you want to do is poke at each other? That tells me that the purpose of complaining about the game is just for show, and not to have it actually "fixed".

You are quite correct. I apologise. I allowed my irritation to get the better of me. The purpose of this topic was to list complains with the current build but watching it get jumped on and being repeatedly told everything is okay vexed me.

I have since noticed vanities are not removed, just hidden behind the UI. The update Loki announced about the controls has helped greatly.

The hp regen in regards to the squire helm and valhala breast and using the celestial stone and shell remain nerfed. Removing the stacking item bonuses means you are forced to rely on potions and other buffs.

Same with upgrading the moon lord & other bosses. It renders building an arena all but worthless.
Imo there should be a difference between classic, expert & master mode in whether or not the moon lord can shoot through blocks.

Npc happiness is not fun. If there were items you could buy or gifts to permanently reduce that it would be nice.

Also seperate keybindings for the map screen zoom would be nice.

Last edited:
I shall revoke the clown statement, after all a cool head was not used for your decision making and for this I apologize. I'm sure (I very much hope so) that you have learned your lesson about how discussion works here on TFC. I'm sure come time you will be a better person discussing your issues with the game.

Now is the time to mend our mistakes and come out better people, only your silence is necessary to do this. Let your silence speak louder than the words you type

and now to discuss

your gripes of the nerf to how much HP regen bonus affect the game have been noted, but discarded. being prepared to fight a boss is an important factor to the game that you must now learn. I was in that boat once of never using buffs but I got out of it once I realized just how easier they make the fights.

Power creep, it's a thing and it's almost unavoidable but that doesn't make arenas useless just poorly made ones their are plenty of guides on constructing good arenas out there, even the wiki will give you a good idea on how to start here.

Npc happiness is a little complicated but given enough time you will figure it out and come to appreciate the pylon system and it's worth, If you're having trouble refer to the wiki

with enough time you will find a better stride I'm here if you want me to give you some tips or point you in the right direction of the wiki.

You are quite correct. I apologise. I allowed my irritation to get the better of me. The purpose of this topic was to list complains with the current build but watching it get jumped on and being repeatedly told everything is okay vexed me.

I have since noticed vanities are not removed, just hidden behind the UI. The update Loki announced about the controls has helped greatly.

The hp regen in regards to the squire helm and valhala breast and using the celestial stone and shell remain nerfed. Removing the stacking item bonuses means you are forced to rely on potions and other buffs.

Same with upgrading the moon lord & other bosses. It renders building an arena all but worthless.
Imo there should be a difference between classic, expert & master mode in whether or not the moon lord can shoot through blocks.

Npc happiness is not fun. If there were items you could buy or gifts to permanently reduce that it would be nice.

Also seperate keybindings for the map screen zoom would be nice.
Thank you for this message @OnePointThree, I appreciate it.

I'm glad you were able to solve the vanity issue, and yes, a new update went out today that hopes to alleviate some of the concerns that the dev team was hearing about from players. Try out the new options, see what you think, and if you have any feedback on what you like or don't like, be sure to post. The devs listen to all feedback. It may not be possible to enact every change that one player wants. They take in comments from the entire player base (and sometimes the feedback can be contradictory - this player wants this, but this other player definitely does not want that), and a best decision for the game has to be made.

Most of your other feedback involves things that were changed on the PC version of 1.4, so these are changes that have been around for awhile on PC, and are now ported to console. The changes to HP regen are intended, so you won't be seeing any change back to how it was. Same for the Moon Lord's laser and NPC Happiness. If you do a search, you can probably find some threads in which PC players discussed these changes, and you can join in the discussion. I don't want to get your hopes up that things will revert though.

Thank you for this message @OnePointThree, I appreciate it.

I'm glad you were able to solve the vanity issue, and yes, a new update went out today that hopes to alleviate some of the concerns that the dev team was hearing about from players. Try out the new options, see what you think, and if you have any feedback on what you like or don't like, be sure to post. The devs listen to all feedback. It may not be possible to enact every change that one player wants. They take in comments from the entire player base (and sometimes the feedback can be contradictory - this player wants this, but this other player definitely does not want that), and a best decision for the game has to be made.

Most of your other feedback involves things that were changed on the PC version of 1.4, so these are changes that have been around for awhile on PC, and are now ported to console. The changes to HP regen are intended, so you won't be seeing any change back to how it was. Same for the Moon Lord's laser and NPC Happiness. If you do a search, you can probably find some threads in which PC players discussed these changes, and you can join in the discussion. I don't want to get your hopes up that things will revert though.

All of this is why I wish the devs would release the last update before 1.4 as an optional install via a button menu.
I actually bought a 1.3 copy in the hopes my saves might run on it but no such luck.

I have 1.4 on pc and I moved over to the ps4 because I really dislike 1.4 mechanically. It looks great, the mini biomes are nice but the rest?

I guess all I can hope for is cross platform and a restoration mod. =/

All of this is why I wish the devs would release the last update before 1.4 as an optional install via a button menu.
I actually bought a 1.3 copy in the hopes my saves might run on it but no such luck.

I have 1.4 on pc and I moved over to the ps4 because I really dislike 1.4 mechanically. It looks great, the mini biomes are nice but the rest?

I guess all I can hope for is cross platform and a restoration mod. =/
If you have a PC as you say, I have a friend who recently released a tool that allows you to download past versions of the game via steam depots. I’d be happy to link you to it if you’d like!

If you have a PC as you say, I have a friend who recently released a tool that allows you to download past versions of the game via steam depots. I’d be happy to link you to it if you’d like!
Thank you!

---

Okay so I tried the dry rocket. It's actually a lot more efficient than duplication of liquid. Pricier but so what. Money isn't a thing in end game play.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom