Expand Your Terraria Empire - Pylons, Town Building, and NPC Happiness

I like this a lot, as it'll encourage us to not just build 1 base because its more efficient, but I do have one question:

Pylons only work in their specific biome, correct, so will there be, say, an "underground hallow" pylon, or will either a hallow or underground pylon work there? similar concept applies to snow variants. I assume forest changed to hallow would only take hallow.

Oh my, oh my. I'm absolutely blown away. I would've never imagined something like this in game, but I am beyond excited! This is literally the coolest thing and I'm dying
Absolutely cannot wait to start working on some projects with this!

This is cool! What does it mean for corruption pylons, though? Are they not gonna exist? Maybe I'll just build my underground pylon near the underground corruption...

Time for my entire world to become a town :D lol. This is a very very nice and interesting change. I also noticed those gem trees in that underground base! I really like the inspiration that comes from the modding community that gets officially added. Great stuff!

I don't like you people. You keep throwing new and exciting things at us the closer we get to the Journey's End release. The anticipation is only becoming more and more agonizing. You enjoy making us suffer like this, don't you? Villains! Every one of you!

Joking aside, more reason to build is fine, but I would prefer reasons to make higher quality of buildings, rather than quantity or locations. This seems like it will do that, too, but not as much as I would have hoped. Having NPCs give you gifts for every X level of quality their housing is would be a great motivator for quality builds, without making it feel like you have to do quality builds (assuming the gifts are balanced right).

Still, having access to easier, and seemless teleportation without having to wait for teleporters or enough $$$ for all the wires is a very welcome addition.

Angler still belongs in the trash right??? Is that his new favourite location? It sure is mine. Lol joke.

I love that we can actually care for our NPCs now!

I do hope that his favorite location is the Ocean, though. Having a teleport directly to the Ocean would freaking rock.

Oh and.....

on that note.....

I WON'T HAVE TO BUILD FISHING HOLES AT THE CENTER AND ARTIFICIAL BIOMES ANYMORE now that I have Biome Teleports.

......just......wow..... I just thought of that just now.

Yoooo, this is actually really cool! It does raise some questions on what counts as a biome, though. Especially when there's technically two "axis" to each biome (Purity/Hallow/Corruption and Forest/Underground/Space/Ice/etc)

Does Space count as its own biome, or does it just count as a regular Purity/Forest biome? (I imagine it would be if Underground is its own biome)
Does having a forest area be Hallowed change it from a Forest biome to a Hallowed Forest biome (making the old Forest pylon incompatible)?
Does the Ocean and Desert count as two different biomes, despite both being mainly controlled by sand? (I imagine so, if Space and Underground are their own biomes)

So many questions! I'm sure they'll be answered when the game releases. (Also, I see those Stone/Crystal Trees...)

The idea is astounding. However, I have some suggestions which I think would work well.

Suggestion 1: Sure, the new speech bubbles are amazing. But they seem a bit... Bland? To the point? I do prefer some character development in slight ways. So maybe each NPC could say offhand about them. Like the Mechanic saying:

"Sorry if some stuff is dirty. Some of the others nick my stuff to play with" (crowding)

If you want to go all out, Maybe add neighbor corresponding ones. Like the wizard complaining about how the Captain is too loud (friendship) . or that he's storing his cannonballs in his alchemy room (crowding)

Suggestion 2: This is a rather small one. Maybe have the central Pylon work during invasions but only to receive players. So anyone wit no quick way back can get TO the invasion quickly, but never LEAVE. It will be a slight Quality Of Life change which can help those who don't/sold/stashed away their magic mirror or recall potions.

Yoooo, this is actually really cool! It does raise some questions on what counts as a biome, though. Especially when there's technically two "axis" to each biome (Purity/Hallow/Corruption and Forest/Underground/Space/Ice/etc)

Does Space count as its own biome, or does it just count as a regular Purity/Forest biome? (I imagine it would be if Underground is its own biome)
Does having a forest area be Hallowed change it from a Forest biome to a Hallowed Forest biome (making the old Forest pylon incompatible)?
Does the Ocean and Desert count as two different biomes, despite both being mainly controlled by sand? (I imagine so, if Space and Underground are their own biomes)

So many questions! I'm sure they'll be answered when the game releases. (Also, I see those Stone/Crystal Trees...)

Boy, I hope the temple could act as a biome. Imagine having a temple area made of temple bricks and can spawn Golem. Gosh, such a fun town to live in!

Kinda cool, kinda eh.

I was hoping furniture, room size, block variety would have more tangible gameplay effects when I read the line "building is now a big deal", but this mostly makes me split my base into chunks of 3 commieblocks spaced around the world in each biome.

In the end, I'll still have one central base with most of my loot, crafting stations and farms. : /

The positive is the new fast travel system that - I assume - is available much sooner than teleporters and doesn't require laying down minecart tracks. At the same time, this means it reduces the building of minecart railway networks... which seems to be opposite of encouraging building.

Heres hoping a modder will make each piece of furniture and building sizes and crafted block variety actually have functionality, besides just vanity.

I hope theres more major things to 1.4 than this feature only.

Back
Top Bottom