Expand Your Terraria Empire - Pylons, Town Building, and NPC Happiness

As a builder, I complain precisely because now my buildings will make the NPС unhappy. I feel punished for building cool houses, but now they are not in the right place or there is a wrong neighbor. And now they will always remind me of this.

Note that this does not in any way call for improving the quality of buildings. This introduces arbitrage conditions on where they are located and which NPCs should be nearby. And apparently the distance from other NPCs
If the npcs are spaced out enough with your builds then it probably won't come with any negatives. Just none of the added benefits. and you can take it into account for future builds.

Like Loki said,

A very minimal amount of effort will likely be needed to avoid "punishments." Changing flags to an optimal state could probably take less than 5 minutes.
You could probably even get into rewards by putting in just a bit effort and make houses a bit more spread apart. It's up to you.
Listen, I don't care about the gameplay punishments. I am worried that my NPCs will be unhappy and every time I talk to them to buy something, I will hear from my goblin Tinker about how unhappy he is in the desert, why my house is in the desert, build me a house in biome X. I I just want to make them happy.

I love building in terraria and I feel this limits people who like to build. It pushes you to build a bunch of a basic housing all over the world and penalises people who like to build a nice single base that expands as you progress, due to 'crowding'. I like the whole idea of giving NPCs appropriate neighbours but I feel like the crowding mechanic doesn't make much sense and severely limits builders if you want to make a cozy base instead of a bunch of scattered tiny towns that each have less effort put into them.

People who liked to build previously will be penalised with limited design or suffer more money grinding and people who didn't like to build will just once again make basic wooden blocks just scattered around now instead of concentrated.

I've always liked building in Terraria so I don't mind encouraging building but this does the opposite, it pushes you towards one specific design for building, limiting creativity for mechanical benefits and has a very annoying penalty and does not change the behavior for people who don't like building much at all. No more mega-fortresses or mansions or quaint villages, it will all have to be scattered groups of 2-3 houses around the world or else have everything be more expensive.

If the npcs are spaced out enough with your builds then it probably won't come with any negatives. Just none of the added benefits. and you can take it into account for future builds.
This is another problem. I could imagine that a goblin tinker wants a cool house in the desert next to an oasis. Or vice versa, a house in a dungeon surrounded by traps. And that there he will be happy. Now I can’t, because I objectively know that he is happy in only one biome. This somewhat limits the houses that I can build for the NPС.

I love building in terraria and I feel this limits people who like to build. It pushes you to build a bunch of a basic housing all over the world and penalises people who like to build a nice single base that expands as you progress, due to 'crowding'. I like the whole idea of giving NPCs appropriate neighbours but I feel like the crowding mechanic doesn't make much sense and severely limits builders if you want to make a cozy base instead of a bunch of scattered tiny towns that each have less effort put into them.

People who liked to build previously will be penalised with limited design or suffer more money grinding and people who didn't like to build will just once again make basic wooden blocks just scattered around now instead of concentrated.

I've always liked building in Terraria so I don't mind encouraging building but this does the opposite, it pushes you towards one specific design for building, limiting creativity for mechanical benefits and has a very annoying penalty and does not change the behavior for people who don't like building much at all. No more mega-fortresses or mansions or quaint villages, it will all have to be scattered groups of 2-3 houses around the world or else have everything be more expensive.
THIS, EXACTLY I dont like this feature because I dont like building, but the builders will be affected even more than us casuals for precisely the reasons you listed.

As a builder, I complain precisely because now my buildings will make the NPС unhappy. I feel punished for building cool houses, but now they are not in the right place or there is a wrong neighbor. And now they will always remind me of this.

Note that this does not in any way call for improving the quality of buildings. This introduces arbitrage conditions on where they are located and which NPCs should be nearby. And apparently the distance from other NPCs
Your issues are a bit more sensible, and the developers can definitely find a better way to work with NPC happiness, such as taking into account preferred furniture items, or other things.
Also, please note that that one comment in which I referred to Loki was not meant for you.

Your issues are a bit more sensible, and the developers can definitely find a better way to work with NPC happiness, such as taking into account preferred furniture items, or other things.
Also, please note that that one comment in which I referred to Loki was not meant for you.
I understand why and for what the system is made. I don’t even think that population density will be such a problem, if we take a video of the town music and decide that there the NPCs don’t feel that they are overcrowded, then I think it will not interfere much with large single bases. The problem is biomes.

Neighbors, of course, are also a problem, since you may have an idea to make, say, a base for an arms dealer, pirate captain and dryad. But they do not like each other and require completely different neighbors. Say you want to build a living ship out of wood with guns and a pirate flag.

And I'm sorry that I answered a post that was not for me.

I'm kind of coming around to the whole happiness thing, but I still greatly dislike the neighbor and biome requirements. I feel like the conversion to Hardmode will ruin a lot of the work put in to this feature in pre-hardmode, for example the desert could become hallowed or corrupted, as could the snow biome.

I'm kind of coming around to the whole happiness thing, but I still greatly dislike the neighbor and biome requirements. I feel like the conversion to Hardmode will ruin a lot of the work put in to this feature in pre-hardmode, for example the desert could become hallowed or corrupted, as could the snow biome.
That's true but I guess it gives you a reason to keep up clentamination

Woah I guess my builds need actual effort now
Nooo. Do not worry about it. This, in fact, surprisingly does not require any special skill from you. Damn I do not think that I am a particularly good builder and I am not afraid of this update at all. You just need to build boxes in different places:dryadindifferent:

Listen, I don't care about the gameplay punishments. I am worried that my NPCs will be unhappy and every time I talk to them to buy something, I will hear from my goblin Tinker about how unhappy he is in the desert, why my house is in the desert, build me a house in biome X. I I just want to make them happy.
You can always not touch that happiness button and ignore their feelings.

This is not obligatory. They're not limiting you.

Woah I guess my builds need actual effort now
Nah, you can build the same boxes.

I can't say anything about this, but I'm sure that they have considered this. Why add such a system if it's not well implemented.

This is not obligatory. They're not limiting you.

Nah, you can build the same boxes.

I can't say anything about this, but I'm sure that they have considered this. Why add such a system if it's not well implemented.

I suppose, but I'm not sure how they could make sure the hardmode V doesnt hit the important biomes. We'll have to wait and see. The devs have been putting out quality content for nine years now, they wont cop out now

I just have one question: What about those of us who don't enjoy building? (I love Terraria for the adventure, exploration, and boss fighting. Building is a grind for me, not enjoyable at all)

It was already mandatory to build to access NPCs, now its ALSO annoying. Cuz unhappy NPCs means higher prices, if I read the above correctly. So to avoid being penalized you HAVE to build multiple bases. No bueno

I know, but it still saddens me. I really didn’t want to build boxes and I had the motivation to build a beautiful house for the NPC so that they were happy and as a thank you for their help. Now this motivation is significantly reduced.

Personally, I like to build one massive castle and locate everyone in there. One castle so massive that it's kinda difficult to maintain enough NPC density throughout to suppress spawns, so it's not about cheap bare minimum shoebox housing at all. (In fact, my last one would have been even bigger if I had more NPCs to spread out further.) I just think that a big defensible structure is what would make sense for trying to make a living in the monster-filled, Blood Moon and Eclipse ridden setting of Terraria. Living all spread out would just be asking for monster murder. So if I am supposed to spread NPCs around the entire map more, hopefully the update adds some more NPCs, even if they do nothing but fill space to reduce spawns, to allow for everybody to be happy AND have one HUGE castle that stays monster-free.

Otherwise, this sounds like a neat idea I might end up kinda ignoring in favor of staying with the single massive bases that feel right to me. Which is fine, as long as unhappy NPCs simply continue to function at the current status quo of not having pylons and don't increase prices or otherwise present some punishment.

Also, if the idea is to encourage building, why can't giving NPCs big fancy fully furnished homes/castle apartments be what makes them happy anyway? That, I'm glad to do regardless. Absolutely minimal houses spread out into different biomes would have taken a small fraction of the effort my last castle did, but the former is what would get rewarded more?

...Also, now that I think about it, I hope the new town system doesn't alter spawn suppression so it's no longer possible to maintain one single, massive spawn-free zone by strategically spacing all available houses.

Back
Top Bottom