Expand Your Terraria Empire - Pylons, Town Building, and NPC Happiness

See I still don’t understand why saying a number is so damning and they’re reluctant to do it, unless they know it’s so high it’ll annoy a lot of people

If they knew it would annoy a lot of people, they'd probably be scrambling to change it so as to not make too much of the fanbase angry. My take on it is that they want people to experience it first hand to judge if the price cost is worth the extra work involved. And to you, it may not work. Something like this is bound to make alot of people uncomfortable, and it's not your fault. Can't please everyone, and that's what mods are for.

Overall, i think you're a level headed guy/girl/[insert gender of choice here], and your complaints are legitimate, and you express them in a calm manner. So please don't think I'm attacking you. Whatever happens, come what may, I hope you and I can enjoy the update simultaneously, as well as everyone else. I didn't spend 50,000 hours in this game for nothing.

Last edited:
So you're saying that if we don't like a single feature, we're not "actual fans" of the game?
No, I'm saying that if one tiny feature (that will almost 100% certainly be relatively easy to ignore) of this massive game ruins the entire experience for you, then you aren't an actual fan of the game. If you think that spacing out your NPC box huts across the world with access to them via Pylons is such a massive punishment that the entirety of Terraria is absolutely ruined, then just maybe you aren't a real fan of the game.

It legitimately isn't that big of a deal. You guys are literally making it out to be this massive horrible thing that will cause you character to lose 500 platinum a second for every in-game tick that you have an NPC in a house that didn't take 40 hours to construct. It isn't going to be that drastic and the fact that you have so little faith in ReLogic to have a relatively nice and balanced system is why I say that you guys probably aren't real fans of the game.

No, I'm saying that if one tiny feature (that will almost 100% certainly be relatively easy to ignore) of this massive game ruins the entire experience for you, then you aren't an actual fan of the game. If you think that spacing out your NPC box huts across the world with access to them via Pylons is such a massive punishment that the entirety of Terraria is absolutely ruined, then just maybe you aren't a real fan of the game.

It legitimately isn't that big of a deal. You guys are literally making it out to be this massive horrible thing that will cause you character to lose 500 platinum a second for every in-game tick that you have an NPC in a house that didn't take 40 hours to construct. It isn't going to be that drastic and the fact that you have so little faith in ReLogic to have a relatively nice and balanced system is why I say that you guys probably aren't real fans of the game.
I literally just said that I hoped the price increase wasn't too high, I've played terraria for eight years and I'm not going to stop because of an annoying feature

I literally just said that I hoped the price increase wasn't too high, I've played terraria for eight years and I'm not going to stop because of an annoying feature
I too have played Terraria for over 8 years. You just misinterpreted my message.

If you think that the new feature won't stop you from playing, then congratulations you're probably an actual fan of Terraria.

However, if you believe that this one single simple little feature ruins every single bit of content within Terraria (the game that can be enjoyed for thousands of hours) like some people are making it out to do, then its likely that you don't really like the game itself.

I too have played Terraria for over 8 years. You just misinterpreted my message.

If you think that the new feature won't stop you from playing, then congratulations you're probably an actual fan of Terraria.

However, if you believe that this one single simple little feature ruins every single bit of content within Terraria (the game that can be enjoyed for thousands of hours) like some people are making it out to do, then its likely that you don't really like the game itself.
No one is saying it's going to ruin terraria as a whole, they're just giving their opinion and suggesting ways it could be improved. You're the one projecting onto other people, and assuming meaning behind their words when there is none.

If they knew it would annoy a lot of people, they'd probably be scrambling to change it so as to not make too much of the fanbase angry. My take on it is that they want people to experience it first hand to judge if the price cost is worth the extra work involved. And to you, it may not work. Something like this is bound to make alot of people uncomfortable, and it's not your fault. Can't please everyone, and that's what mods are for.

Overall, i think you're a level headed guy/girl/[insert gender of choice here], and your complaints are legitimate, and you express them in a calm manner. So please don't think I'm attacking you. Whatever happens, come what may, I hope you and I can enjoy the update simultaneously, as well as everyone else. I didn't spend 50,000 hours in this game for nothing.

just gonna point out that they made it impossible to craft the Neptune shell, and made the compass an incredibly rare drop, with full knowledge that it would annoy the community, yes they might not want to piss of the community, but if they felt it would be funny or "teach the community a lesson" they would most likely do it, because they have in the past

I wonder how or if this will effect NPC's that don't actually sell anything?
Pure speculation of a possibility here, but

The NPCs that either don't sell anything or give a service other than a shop are
Guide, Nurse, Angler, Stylist, Goblin, and the Tax Collector

I'd imagine that the Guide will always give you advice. I think it may be possible that the Guide could be a universally content NPC (Who could still have optimal happy conditions) since he's such a basic NPC designed to help beginners. He's the only NPC that has absolutely no relation with money whatsoever.

For the Nurse, I'd imagine that her healing service just costs an additional percentage based on happiness level.

As for the Angler, he could possibly decrease the rarity of common rewards and increase the rarity of rare rewards by a slight amount, if anything.

As for the Stylist, she could simply charge a set amount more.

As for the Goblin Tinkerer, he could have a tiny percent increase in his reforges, since reforges are already a bit expensive.

As for the Tax Collector, maybe NPCs all individually contribute their own set amount of money per minute based on their happiness level.

All of these would also assume the opposite to be true for if you make them happy instead of unhappy (ex: The Stylist gives you a discount on changing your hair color if she's happy).

Keep in mind this is pure speculation on my part though.

You got 50k hours?
Is that legit? if so, impressive.

just gonna point out that they made it impossible to craft the Neptune shell, and made the compass an incredibly rare drop, with full knowledge that it would annoy the community, yes they might not want to piss of the community, but if they felt it would be funny or "teach the community a lesson" they would most likely do it, because they have in the past
See, thats a bad example. The compass, for one, went from being a common drop on a rare enemy in HM, to a rare drop on a common enemy early game... Resulting in more people getting it early. No lesson, no joke, just a benifit. Neptune's shell isn't that low a chance as a drop either, I prefer redoing the Eclipse over redoing a Mech boss.
Punishing an aesthetic I have grown fond of over the course of several years though, brings me personally no benefit, so yes I am concerned about the possibility.
Edit, in case of misinterperetation: the happiness system brings many benifits. The "no benefit" comment was about the unhappiness penalty, and not a single other point.

Last edited:
There's quite a bit of testiness going on here, some of you need to dial back the aggressive tone.

Using the "if you don't agree with me, you're not a REAL fan" tactic needs to stop, by everyone.
apologies. was not intending to sound as aggressive as i did

get a bit passionate about defending this game since its my favorite game and ive spent countless hours enjoying it and i suppose i get a little upset when i see people underestimate the dev's capabilities to such a drastic extent

See, thats a bad example. The compass, for one, went from being a common drop on a rare enemy in HM, to a rare drop on a common enemy early game... Resulting in more people getting it early. No lesson, no joke, just a benefit. Neptune's shell isn't that low a chance as a drop either, I prefer redoing the Eclipse over redoing a Mech boss.
Punishing an aesthetic I have grown fond of over the course of several years though, brings me personally no benefit, so yes I am concerned about the possibility.

the compass went from a 15% drop chance on an UNCOMMON enemy to a 2% chance on 6 different enemies that range from uncommon to rare, this is a weak example yes

the shell went from craft able to needing to beat atleast 1 mech boss to get the solar eclipse to spawn and after that a 2% chance to drop from one of the event enemies, this is an amazingly strong point, they decided getting this before hard mode was too overpowered, so they locked it behind the first actual hard bosses and an event that will most likely slaughter you if you attempt it before kill all three mech bosses (last time i checked, swimming and water breathing were not OP in this game)

but lets see other examples shall we

the fishing quests are deliberately padded out to severely slow down getting usable items instead of potions

oh my favorite one, when they decided to sync up the consoles and PC, but forced the PC UI onto consoles (FYI really unfun, made me stop playing it on console because of how ungodly clunky it is) this is juts another example of something they should have consulted the community on

potion sickness... just... i understand the point of not letting people spam potions, but seriously?! 60 seconds is seriously overkill, 30 seconds is way more reasonable, but no.... THIS is an example of trying to teach a lesson by literally piercing it through someones skull

Mana sickness is the same lesson, but since your pupil didnt learn the first lesson hard enough, youve decided to just shoot them in the face, -25% magic damage for drinking a mana potion

so to be fair, im 90% sure their going to be re-balancing potions or their debuffs, especially the mana ones, and these are about the only examples, they do a good job with steadying their aim, especially when asking the community, i love the game (that UI thing destroyed it for me on console tho...) and i bet this next update will be amazing, but im also betting that they are not going to tell us the bad bits

its the carrot on the stick method, they lead us and make us happy with the carrot, but have in the past slapped us with the stick out of no where, and i dont doubt the last slaps coming, and its coming in 13 days

I am actually pretty excited for this feature! It will be a lot harder to organize NPCs now (Goodbye cube towers) but is more realistic overall. Also poses a nice smaller challenge inbetween and will make other biomes (other than Overworld) more lively.

One small thing though, maybe give the Pylons different shapes and looks more to show the respective biome attributes more? I get that this is quite the thing to ask (and isn‘t meant to be a critique on the sprite work of the team), but I think it could be really useful and would make them more distinct on the minimap as well.

Some examples:
Overworld - Green Pylon that is shaped like the ones in the teasers
Underground - Light purple Pylon with a jagged/sharper texture and shape
Snow/Ice - Light Blue Pylon with a shape similar to a cube (to symbolize ice)
Desert - Yellow Pylon who’s shape reminds one of a pyramid

Still, super awesome mechanic and even more hyped for the update now!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom