tModLoader Expanded Sentries

So that fix was as simple as I thought it would be and it's uploaded now. However, I ran into an odd issue on my end. DD2 sentries costed me Etherian Mana even on the first summon and long before hitting the sentry limit. I disabled my mod and tried the same thing and I got the same results. Maybe this is intended behavior to ignore the sentry limit during the event? At least it isn't behavior specific to my mod, but I have no idea why this is happening. Then again the DD2 accessories seem to act weird for me even when I have no mods loaded. They give more than one sentry increase and seems to increase summon damage by more than 10%. On one character I can have it increase the sentry count by 2, but on another character, have it increase the count by 4. No I don't have multiple DD2 accessories equipped and even if I did, their effects shouldn't stack by design.

For the next update, I'll try to have some cross mod support with other modded sentry weapons. However most of them will be limited to just one sentry summoned at a time since they are coded that way. I can't change that from my end. The mod authors themselves would have to make the change, but I'm not sure if asking them would work since I'm basically a nobody right now. I'm also looking into the multiplayer issue. Perhaps some code is being handled differently between single and multiplayer. I asked around on the Discord channel. My current best guess is that the Shoot method is handled client side only. All the sentry weapons use this method to actually summon the projectile. However, the problem doesn't seem to be creating the projectile, but the fact that it randomly disappears which I have no idea why that would happen. I'm sorry that it isn't the solution just yet, but hopefully this is on the right track.

I ran out of time to reply to this earlier. Hmm... the part with The Twins sentry shooting cursed fireballs might be a bit debatable if I include that. I say that because I already have a Cursed Flames Turret and I don't want to outclass that so soon. I could make the behavior of The Twins cursed fireballs either have no gravity or act flamethrower like. The summon weapon related to The Twins either rams or shoots lasers. I'm also thinking of how I want to handle the turrets. Maybe one turret that alternates firing different projectiles like the Terra Turret does or two turrets side by side.

From a technical standpoint, there is no turret slots like that is minion slots. As in all turrets count as one toward the turret limit, where minions can have a variable count toward the minion limit, like the Optic Staff summoning two minions at once which each take up half a minion slot. Some mods have minions that take up two slots at once. If I were to summon two turrets for the price of one, I would have to make an invisible dummy sentry that's linked in such a way that when it gets removed, so does its turrets. It's similar to how I have the Water Tornado's sentry work.

Technical stuff aside, the other two ideas can work. It might be a bit tricky for me to code the probes, but otherwise it's probably the most related to The Destroyer.

It would basically be a weaker Staff of the Frost Hydra, but it could work. I haven't asked for a suggestion related to Forbidden Fragments because I would like to create the tornado effect from the armor and Sand Elemental as a sentry. Only problem is me trying to figure out the code to do so. It's not quite as simple as copy and pasting.
I'm encountering this problem with a when playing with a friend as well, a host and play server without anybody else on it still works fine, but as soon as a friend joins the sentries start despawning after 1-10 seconds.
The weirdest part is, this wasn't a problem when we started the playthrough, on Sunday, even though other people were having the problem before then. :/
If you want any other details or want me to host a multiplayer server for you, message me on Discord (I've sent a friend request).

I'm encountering this problem with a when playing with a friend as well, a host and play server without anybody else on it still works fine, but as soon as a friend joins the sentries start despawning after 1-10 seconds.
The weirdest part is, this wasn't a problem when we started the playthrough, on Sunday, even though other people were having the problem before then. :/
If you want any other details or want me to host a multiplayer server for you, message me on Discord (I've sent a friend request).
It's this mod breaking issue again and I'm still clueless on how to solve it. I would have to ask around again, perhaps get help from a better coder than me to see what could be causing the issue. It's probably a simple oversight on my part or at least I hope so. Let's try to narrow this down some. Does this issue happen with vanilla sentries like the DD2 sentries or just the modded ones? It's possible that the active sentry buff I have is coded incorrectly. Perhaps I can send you a test version that lacks the buff altogether and see if the disappearing issue still happens. We could try it out together later on. We can sort out the details on Discord.

Edit: I just asked on Discord and I may have a possible fix. However I don't want to officially update the mod on the Mod Browser yet till I'm sure this fix works. I'll test it when I have the chance.

Edit 2: I'm hearing that the fix worked. It was a simple oversight. I changed a few lines of code and the issue is taken care of. It was indeed related to the way I originally coded how the active sentries buff worked.

Last edited:
Thumbs up for keeping at it till you found a fix, thank you.
Yes, I did wanted to ask you if the issue was fixed for you as well. I hope so, then I feel like I can celebrate a bit. Between not being able to summon sentries at all and sentries breaking in multiplayer, that's two mod breaking bugs I've fixed. Here's hoping that's the last of them and if any more come up, I can fix those as well.

So this is a double post, but I hope it's okay because it's to announce an update for this mod and to explain a bit more stuff not in the OP itself related to the update. I changed the method to which the custom damage type is handled based on the new tModLoader and Example Mod update today. It should have no different effect in-game except for the sentry damage being listed accounting for multiple languages.

I know it's been a while since I added any new weapons. I admit I've been holding off on that because some of the weapons I'll like to add are complex and I would have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to code them. There's no shortage of weapons now to cover the entire game progress, but it still doesn't mean I don't want to add even more.

My next plan is looking into cross mod support for mods that allow for crafting of boss drops and if those mods are detected, add new recipes to my mod. It's mainly to get around any RNG although I tried not to make the RNG drops too rare.

My next plan is looking into cross mod support for mods that allow for crafting of boss drops and if those mods are detected, add new recipes to my mod. It's mainly to get around any RNG although I tried not to make the RNG drops too rare.
Pretty sure their is a mod that does this, imksushi mod I believe. I forget what the item is called. Meh whatever makes life easier.

Pretty sure their is a mod that does this, imksushi mod I believe. I forget what the item is called. Meh whatever makes life easier.
That's the one. I contacted the mod author earlier and he gave the okay. I finished coding in support. Specifically, the boss loot swapping token from imkSushi's Mod can be used to swap out certain boss drops with my mod's weapons and vice versa. I could actually update the mod now, but I'm waiting to hear back from the mod authors of Geronimo's Tinkerings and Boss Materials Plus. Actually on second thought maybe I should go ahead and update, but only after I check for other items from imkSushi's Mod that could work well with my mod for crafting.

Edit: I checked and there's nothing else suitable to use for crafting so I'll go ahead and update the mod again today.

Edit 2: Just heard back from the mod author of Boss Materials Plus and I got the okay, including item IDs to save me a bit of time in trying to find them myself. I'll delay updating till I get support for that mod in so I'm not updating again almost right away.

Edit 3: Updated the mod yet again. Now to add a Design Decisions to the original post to explain my reasoning for much of why I did what with the mod.

Last edited:
Could you make it where the Toolbelts also had the Chips and the Focal Scopes?

Had some item ideas:

Muzzles
Comes in two variants: Shotgun and Assault
Shotgun Muzzles give spread shots, increasing with grade (1-5)
Assault Muzzles give burst fire, increasing with grade (1-5)
Allows Turrets to deal either wider shot range or sets of shots fired at a time

Focal Scopes
Increases critical Chance with Sentries (5% at Grade 1, 25% at Grade 5)

The Infinite Core
- "Work fine, and understand what's going on"
- Basic, Demon, Molten, Hallowed, and Terra Toolbelts
- 150% Detection Range and Reaction Rate
- 15 Extra Sentry Limit
- 75% Crit Chance
- Sentries can fire through solid blocks

Updated yet again. I'm slowly chipping away at getting this ready for a 1.0 release. That's not to say I'll be done with the mod for such a release. I added Geronimo's Tinkerings and a couple of new weapons. Those weapons have been on my mind for awhile in regards to how I would program them and I finally did it. I still have a bunch more to go like the big Mimic drops, mecha boss crafts, Solar Eclipse, Pumpkin and Frost Moon drops, and more. I was also thinking maybe the Party Girl, Pirate, and Cyborg could have a sentry weapon to sell.
Could you make it where the Toolbelts also had the Chips and the Focal Scopes?

Had some item ideas:

Muzzles
Comes in two variants: Shotgun and Assault
Shotgun Muzzles give spread shots, increasing with grade (1-5)
Assault Muzzles give burst fire, increasing with grade (1-5)
Allows Turrets to deal either wider shot range or sets of shots fired at a time

Focal Scopes
Increases critical Chance with Sentries (5% at Grade 1, 25% at Grade 5)

The Infinite Core
- "Work fine, and understand what's going on"
- Basic, Demon, Molten, Hallowed, and Terra Toolbelts
- 150% Detection Range and Reaction Rate
- 15 Extra Sentry Limit
- 75% Crit Chance
- Sentries can fire through solid blocks
The muzzles might not work well with the current turrets. It might have to be done with specialized turrets balanced around them. I'm also unsure about giving crit chances to weapons that can already do a lot of damage without crits, similar to how minions can't crit. The Infinite Core would be way too OP even by Fargo's mod super accessory standards.

Is it possible to add mod support for mods like thorium and calamity? Because having it only support vanilla doesn't work very well when it's in a modpack. Otherwise great mod.

Is it possible to add mod support for mods like thorium and calamity? Because having it only support vanilla doesn't work very well when it's in a modpack. Otherwise great mod.
Can you be more specific? What do you mean it only supports vanilla? This mod already converts the summon sentry weapons from those mods into sentry class weapons. You can only summon one of them regardless of your turret limit, but I can't do anything about that from my end.

Awesome mod. Do you plan on extending to post-vanilla tiers?
I plan too since I know post Moon Lord bosses can become very strong and any of the weapons in this mod can be too weak for them, especially some of the Calamity bosses. I'm not exactly sure how I would handle that yet. I could probably make some temporary weapons that are strong enough to deal with some post Moon Lord bosses before making actual cross mod support like an Elemental Unleashed purity turret weapon. The Lunar Portal Staff can actually be quite powerful for awhile past the Moon Lord especially when you summon over 10 of them at once. They all deal damage without causing hit immunity frames for enemies unlike this mod's Eclipse weapons.

Updated this mod yet again.

Okay, I've been sitting on this mod for too long without another update. I've been meaning to add more weapons, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I actually had the new sprites ready for some time. I was going to wait to add new weapons before updating, but after the amount of time that has past, I've decided to just get it out already. Here are some of the new sprites...

CopperSpikes.png

CrimtaneSpikes.png

JungleSpikes.png

MoltenSpikes.png

These are the following weapons I'll like to get out before an 1.0 release...

1. Maybe a Skeletron sentry
  2. Frost Core sentry
  3. Forbidden Fragment sentry
  4. Pirate Invasion sentry
  5. Soul of Might sentry
  6. Soul of Sight sentry
  7. Soul of Fright sentry
  8. Maybe a Party Girl sentry
  9. Maybe a Cyborg sentry
  10. Solar Eclipse sentry
  11. Pumpkin Moon sentry
  12. Frost Moon sentry

I already have ideas for most of them. It's mainly a matter of me getting around to actually making them, some more tricky than others to code.

In cross content section mod Sacred Tools called Scared Tool.
What are you talking about? Although I edited the main post not long ago, that was to add more information to the cross mod section. SacredTools was always called as such. I didn't make any such typo. Even then that would be a very minor thing to point out.

I have found a little bug with this mod. When fighting the Old One's Army, I tried to place a turret down but didn't have enough (Etherian) mana. It ate my mana anyways :/

Back
Top Bottom