Weapons & Equip Expanding on the Ranger sub-class : Throwing.

Storm Dragonica

Terrarian
Alright, I know this have been suggested for like, a million times? Okay, probably not, the amount of threads here don't exceed that amount. Anyway, throwing have always been a rather interesting class to me. Firstly, is the range of difficulty on getting it and the damage. Shurikens and Throwing Knives, which can be found randomly in wooden chests/bought from the Merchant :)merchantgrin:), yeah, that old man with that old leather cap, one of my favorite NPCs. The Shurikens and Throwing Knives have moderately high damage for how easy it is to get them. About the same as wooden arrows, however, they do pierce, which is why I quite enjoy using them. However, they can be easily replaced with the good ol' wooden bow and some jester's arrows, or an undertaker/a musket.

So, in this thread, I will show my suggestion on a couple throwing weapons, that have different effects, not just increase in damage, so others can actually use them, instead of just using their casual old bullet and arrow, or rockets, if anyone actually use rocket launchers, oh, and the flamethrowers, haha, I like those type of weapons.

Note beforehand, I would suggest the throwing damage to be altered back to ranged damage, because, let's just face it, they have the same requirements as ranged damage, it requires ammunition, which is basically the item themselves, and they are thrown to attack from a distance. The Ninja Armor will remain buffing the damage of the throwing sub-class though :).

Additionally, I'm not a fan of "change yo-yo and boomerang's class to throwing", because they are most suited as melee. Boomerangs will return to you after firing, yo-yo is still attached by a string. Both of these are attached by a bond with the user. Therefore, it should be considered as melee.

Let's get into it!

Incoming the first on my list, the Chakram! The Chakram is sold by the merchant (or found randomly inside GOLD chests), with the cost of 40 copper, pretty cheap I suppose.:merchantwink:. It will only sell it after you defeated the Eye of Chit- Chat- Ctluh- whatever.

It will deal 15 damage, yes, might seem pretty weak, this is due to the fact that the Chakram will be used in a lot of the weapons in my suggestion list. The Chakram is special in the way that it can ricochet around, up to three times, and piercing up to three enemies too (it is lower than the Shuriken to balance it out).

It have a knockback value of 3.5, which is 1 point more than Muramasa. The velocity is of the same as the classic shuriken (9) and the use time is 14 (also the same as shurikens).

Rarity : White

It's shape is of a bladed circle, with a hole on the center of it.

The fleshcutter is a craftable throwing weapon which is limited only to worlds with Crimson. It takes the shape similar to the vampire knives' projectiles (the red knives), once thrown, it will spin rapidly as it flies through the air, cutting through anything in it's way, okay, only up to 3.

The fleshcutter is crafted from :
50 Throwing Knives
4 Tissue Samples
1 Crimtane Bar

It will yield 50 Fleshcutter.

The fleshcutter pierces through 3 enemies, and have a 50% chance to inflict Bleeding upon any monster that got hit by it, save for those that are immune.

Damage : 20
Knockback : 3
Critical Chance : 4%
Use time : 14
Velocity : 9
Rarity : Blue

The Shadowspin is a craftable throwing weapon limited only to worlds with Corruption. It takes a shape similar to the shuriken, only recolored purple with black outlines. Once thrown, it will act as a shuriken. It is faster than the fleshcutter, which is basically due to Corruption weapons being faster, but less powerful.

Crafting Recipe :
50 Shuriken
4 Shadow Scales
1 Demonite Bar

Yields 50 Shadowspin.

It will leave behind an after-image of itself as it flies, reaching up to 4 after-images. Each of the after-image can damage enemies, it pierces up to 5 enemies. Due to it being a piercing weapon, about 2 to 3 will only damage the target due to the increased invicibility. So most will probably go for the Fleshcutter instead of Shadowspin.

Damage : 17
Knockback : 2.5
Use time : 12
Velocity : 11
Rarity : Blue.

Needles is a bought throwing weapon, once again, from the merchant.:merchantcool:. Dang, he's racking up money. The needles are only sold after you killed either the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Chit- Cthul- screw it, costs 25 copper. When you throw it, it will shoot out 3 needle projectiles that will spread widely, doesn't pierce, so it might be inaccurate for long range. However, it can rack up hundreds of DPS in close range.

Damage : 11
Knockback : 2
Use time : 7
Rarity : Green

It's an upgrade to the needles, the reason why I don't suggest a throwing version of the thorn chakram, because they will have basically the same effect and the Thorn Chakram would've won due to the fact that it can be used infinitely.

Crafting Recipe :
50 Needles
1 Stinger
1 Jungle Spores

Yields 50 Poisonous Stingers

It will poison whoever is hit, 100% chance. Might seem OP. I know.

Damage : 15
Knockback : 2
Use time : 7
Rarity : Orange

Incoming first Chakram upgrade. This Chakram acts like it's predecessor, except this time it can ricochet 5 times, and it inflicts "On Fire" debuff 100% of the time. When it hits something, it will throw sparks of fire. 3 when it hits a block, and 5 when it hits an enemy.

It looks like a smaller Blazing Wheel.

Crafting Recipe (80) :
80 Chakram
1 Hellstone Bar

Damage : 30
Knockback : 4

It's a throwing knife upgrade, when thrown, it will act as hellfire arrows. Leaving explosions in it's wake. It can pierce through 4 monsters.

Looks like a larger throwing knive, with a red/orange blade on it.

Crafting Recipe (100) :
100 Throwing Knives
1 Hellstone Bar

Damage : 37
Knockback : 3

I will get the hard-mode stuff written up soon when I get the time. This will be all my ideas meanwhile. If you dislike this idea, please explain why. Additionally, you can also point out what specific weapons can be good at and be bad at. I assume needles/poisonous stingers will be extremely effective with the Hungries of the Wall of Flesh.:joy:

Back
Top Bottom