Weapons & Equip Expanding on the Summoner class

Yreorel

Terrarian
Right now, pure summoner is the most armor-dependent class in the game. Without summoner armor, his DPS is complete trash. Conversely, maximum DPS can be achieved by being a summoner and using another weapon, again due to summoner being the most armor-dependent class in the game

I propose a change to summoner: when the summon staff is put away, all minion attack cooldowns are tripled. Additionally, the base summon count will now be increased to 3, to balance out the DPS loss from putting your staff away, at least against weaker monsters. This forces the player to use summoning only if they want maximum DPS from their summons.

As a result, all summoner items will lose 2 max minions, so the minion count remains constant.

To balance it out, right-clicking with the summon staff will now force your minions to attack that location and focus an enemy under the cursor. This effect causes summons to ignore latch range.

Summon weapons will no longer use mana, but will now have another stat: Minion Speed. Minion Speed increases the speed of minions, which also increases their return speed. Additionally, returning minions have the player's velocity added to their own, so that they do not take forever to return.

Normal summons will also be able to crit, and their attack speed is affected by weapon speed modifiers.

Base minion cap increased to 3 (from 1)
Minion attack cooldown is now tripled when the player is not holding a summon staff (any kind). This is shown by making the minions translucent.
All minion staff mana costs reduced to 0 (from 10)

Bee Headgear and Bee Breastplate no longer increases your max. minions
Spider Breastplate and Spider Greaves no longer increases your max. minions.
Tiki Shirt and Tiki Pants no longer increases your max. minions.
Spooky Shirt and Spooky Pants no longer increases your max. minions.
Stardust Plate and Stardust Leggings now provide +1 max minions (down from +2)

To make earlygame summoner less of an RNGfest involving complicated fishing techniques, summoners can now craft the Spark Staff from 5 Glass, 1 Falling Star, and 20 Wood. This is a relatively easy to get weapon, requiring little to no RNG and can be acquired without killing anything or fishing.

Spark Staff
5 Damage (summon)
2 Knockback
21 Use Time
Summons a star spark to fight for you

Grants buff: Star Spark
The Spark will fight for you

Star Sparks are marginally better than slimes. They move by bouncing across the floor at very high speeds, and attack by leaping at enemies. They can leap about 30 blocks high and each hop takes 0.2 seconds. They attack every 0.5 seconds. Upon damaging an enemy, they unleash a chain lightning that damages all nearby enemies. Their attacks fully pierce armor.

The Spark Staff exists solely to carry the player through the Queen Bee. Their armor-piercing abilities and extremely high accuracy is designed to counter Queen Bee's 20 armor and tendency to only pop out of walls when charging. Their chain lightning is designed so they can easily kill Queen Bee's minions.

minions now have their attack speed nerfed instead of their damage

Last edited:
I support for the most part, although I'm not a huge fan of the damage drop off from putting the staff away. And if you can control where your minions go wouldn't that just turn all summoning weapons into items similar to the rainbow rod?

And if you can control where your minions go wouldn't that just turn all summoning weapons into items similar to the rainbow rod?
If I had the option of more control, I wouldn't mind that the method resembles another weapon. Terraria does it a lot already.

I probably wouldn't mind it if some summon weapons also drew enemies to the point you were clicking. It would be like using the summon ability as a kind of mind control and would help deflect damage away from you, since your minions don't take damage for you like summoners in other games. Strength of pull could be proportional to each foe's max health.

Back
Top Bottom