Biomes & Nature Expanding the Surface of Terraria

Wag

Terrarian
Hey Folks. I love Terraria and hope that you keep coming up with great ways to improve on the game. I'll throw a few suggestions out there in an effort to help. They are pretty simple and relate entirely to the edges of the world and the surface area biomes.

For starters, there is an opportunity to greatly expand the water biomes, especially oceans. By making oceans larger and deeper you could create an entirely new experience for players with fun and interesting enemies and boss(es.) Additionally, and I'm sure this has come up before, making the edges of the world continuous would be a great way to expand the ocean. The idea of having sunken treasure and sunken temples/shipwrecks is also interesting. The same thing could happen with "freshwater lakes" biomes but it's hard to add too much without expanding the size of the world.

Having the edge of the world repeat (think how a repeating pattern or pac-man works) would encourage a biome that still works on the edges of a world but feels cohesive, especially oceans. Obviously, this means that the underground section and hell areas at the end of the world would need this same repeating feature but it would make the world feel much larger. I won't go into enemies or bosses here as I'm already confident in the Terraria team to come up with great ways to utilize the feature.

Next up is differentiating coniferous and deciduous forests. If you want to get crazy with things you could also do snow version of coniferous and deciduous areas. Heck you could add grasslands to the mix with standard and snow variants. These don't necessarily add too much in the way of new mechanics or new crafting materials but new kinds of wood would certainly allow for more furniture options among other things.

That's all I have for now. Keep up the great work and thanks for all you do!

Cheers,

Wag

Seems that there is another opportunity for elevation differences to play into biomes to a certain extent. Maps could generate more substantial "mountains" or full-fledged mountain biomes complete with snow capped summits and disappearing treelines as you ascend to the summits.

Expanding on ocean biomes, in addition to sunken temples and shipwrecks, water specific mounts would be a lot of fun. They could serve as utility for both fishing as well as exploration and travel.

I would like all of these (especially the deeper oceans as gills potions have literally no reason for existing right now) except the world looping. Something about world looping in games irks me to no end. I wish I knew why, but I've never been able to explain. Also I'm unsure that old worlds would work properly if looping was added.

Back
Top Bottom