tModLoader Expeditions Mod - Modular Quest System

I'd be fine with a recolor of the Wayfarer Familiar. But yeah, no biggie, just giving my support to that.

Anyways, I do like the idea of this mod being the platform to add more quests and that you'll be adding a tutorial. Hopefully even a casual like myself will be able to figure it out.

Holy chopped up cow on a kebab stick! The Wayfarer's Bell summons chickens and cats too. Wowzers.
[doublepost=1483203209,1483202733][/doublepost]I love that the cats have a sitting pose when idle and the whole Supercat thing when flying.

Attachments

• animals.png
    animals.png
    288.6 KB · Views: 486
I'm sorry, but the current quest dialogue are awesome. They're well written, fit the NPC and don't go against whatever plot Terraria sorta has. I'm impressed by the effort put into them.

Re-written in balance sense only. Lore-wise it was fine.
I know there are different people with different play-styles. But you need to understand the concept of balance, boys. 10 Spelunker potions, or telling you exactly how to defeat the Wall of Flesh is NOT balanced. Those are the kind of things that need to be improved upon.

Balance means that, not matter how "casual" you are, you will be able to deal with the challenge. It won't be "too easy" or "too hard" for anyone. That's what balance is about.

People complain about balance because they do not understand it, but it's easier than most people think. A balanced game experience, specially in a mod like this, will make you enjoy the game throughly. Regardless of your playstyle. I think this whole "people are casuals, so keep platinum pickaxes" logic isn't a great argument. It simply is not good game design, at all. People usually bash Terraria game design, but when they try to "fix" what they think is wrong, they only make things more unbalanced.

But OP here is making changes, and I think those are perfect so far.

I gotta disagree with OP here and say that you can make early game as interesting as late game, witht the right quests. Wouldn't it be nice if this mod did just that?

Last edited:
Re-written in balance sense only. Lore-wise it was fine.
I know there are different people with different play-styles. But you need to understand the concept of balance, boys. 10 Spelunker potions, or telling you exactly how to defeat the Wall of Flesh is NOT balanced. Those are the kind of things that need to be improved upon.

Balance means that, not matter how "casual" you are, you will be able to deal with the challenge. It won't be "too easy" or "too hard" for anyone. That's what balance is about.

People complain about balance because they do not understand it, but it's easier than most people think. A balanced game experience, specially in a mod like this, will make you enjoy the game throughly. Regardless of your playstyle. I think this whole "people are casuals, so keep platinum pickaxes" logic isn't a great argument. It simply is not good game design, at all. People usually bash Terraria game design, but when they try to "fix" what they think is wrong, they only make things more unbalanced.

But OP here is making changes, and I think those are perfect so far.

I gotta disagree with OP here and say that you can make early game as interesting as late game, witht the right quests. Wouldn't it be nice if this mod did just that?

I agree that 10 spelunkers for the early game is generous and should be adjusted.

Plat tools early on is arguably too generous but we have to bear into account that this is a mod and not an actual official release. Mods go by different rules/criteria. They have different objectives. Some mods like Less Grinding, by definition, lowers the "challenge" and therefore are going to re-balance the game toward "easy". Some mods, like Durability, will increase the challenge and re-balance the game toward "hard". Expeditions add on to the flavor and experience of Terraria. The basic skeleton is really solid.

Don't forget that the rewards after that aren't that generous. I mean, the pre-fixes are great but it's not like we're given Molten Armor pre-Skeletron. I also think that as a Mod, the rewards being slightly ahead of the curve is a reasonable thing.

So back to plat tools, if the Modder feels like being generous by making these tools available early on, that's his "present". It's not like you HAVE to buy the plat tools and it's like we're talking Moon Lord level pickaxes here. Think of it as how some games will give players who pre-order bonus items. In the end, you gotta take into account that this is a Mod, not an official release. Can mods be balanced? Sure. But do they HAVE to? Nope.

At the end of the day though... can the mod rewards be adjusted? Sure. Should the shop items be limited to Wayfarer gear? Maybe. But I had to chime in and object because a) I felt this was a really good mod and I didn't want the modder to get the impression it wasn't well received. b) I felt your requests which basically said to remove all the flavorful aspects of this mod to be extreme.

We gotta remember, "balance" is not just about appropriate challenge. It's also about fun. Good game design is actually not about being a challenging game, but also being fun and preferably addictive. Because at the end of the day, the objective of a game is... to make money (betcha thought I was gonna say "fun"). Of course, this mod isn't about making a dime but the concept is still the same. And the thing with that is... getting everything on a silver platter isn't necessary what's fun or will retain players, but neither is pure difficulty. You have to find the, well, balance.

Phew, pardon the yet another long post. No offense to ya Iara. I'm just offering an alternative view. Your views are also valid. Again, I agree that getting 10 spelunkers for the second(?) quest is generous. I just wanted to chime in because I felt your requests seem a bit too extreme.

Not that it matters mind you since it seems Flashkirby99 is making it so that the mod is simply a platform for Expeditions now. So I'm mostly posting to let him know that his work is appreciated and on the right track.

I agree that 10 spelunkers for the early game is generous and should be adjusted.

Plat tools early on is arguably too generous but we have to bear into account that this is a mod and not an actual official release. Mods go by different rules/criteria. They have different objectives. Some mods like Less Grinding, by definition, lowers the "challenge" and therefore are going to re-balance the game toward "easy". Some mods, like Durability, will increase the challenge and re-balance the game toward "hard". Expeditions add on to the flavor and experience of Terraria. The basic skeleton is really solid.

Don't forget that the rewards after that aren't that generous. I mean, the pre-fixes are great but it's not like we're given Molten Armor pre-Skeletron. I also think that as a Mod, the rewards being slightly ahead of the curve is a reasonable thing.

So back to plat tools, if the Modder feels like being generous by making these tools available early on, that's his "present". It's not like you HAVE to buy the plat tools and it's like we're talking Moon Lord level pickaxes here. Think of it as how some games will give players who pre-order bonus items. In the end, you gotta take into account that this is a Mod, not an official release. Can mods be balanced? Sure. But do they HAVE to? Nope.

At the end of the day though... can the mod rewards be adjusted? Sure. Should the shop items be limited to Wayfarer gear? Maybe. But I had to chime in and object because a) I felt this was a really good mod and I didn't want the modder to get the impression it wasn't well received. b) I felt your requests which basically said to remove all the flavorful aspects of this mod to be extreme.

We gotta remember, "balance" is not just about appropriate challenge. It's also about fun. Good game design is actually not about being a challenging game, but also being fun and preferably addictive. Because at the end of the day, the objective of a game is... to make money (betcha thought I was gonna say "fun"). Of course, this mod isn't about making a dime but the concept is still the same. And the thing with that is... getting everything on a silver platter isn't necessary what's fun or will retain players, but neither is pure difficulty. You have to find the, well, balance.

Phew, pardon the yet another long post. No offense to ya Iara. I'm just offering an alternative view. Your views are also valid. Again, I agree that getting 10 spelunkers for the second(?) quest is generous. I just wanted to chime in because I felt your requests seem a bit too extreme.

Not that it matters mind you since it seems Flashkirby99 is making it so that the mod is simply a platform for Expeditions now. So I'm mostly posting to let him know that his work is appreciated and on the right track.

I think there might be a misunderstanding here: I was just giving criticism for him to improve. By pointing the flaws of his mod, I can help him to improve. He can know what to change and that, my friend, is the best encouragement anyone could get. Praise is mild, after all. Re-read my posts and you will see how I try to exactly pin-point everything.
Ask FlashKirby how we are talking in private. I am pretty interested in his mod and I want to help him as much as possible. So you saying that I don't appreciate his mod is... Well... Simply not true.

The problem here is, like I said, that people do not know how to take "not-praise". Nowadays no one appreciates constructive criticism, no matter how well someone or civil someone tries to give it.

Regarding the "fun" factor you mention: Making the game babby mode is not going to make anyone have fun. And you seem to think I want to make it an impossible challenge. Nothing like that.

If you look at my conversation with the mod creator too, you will see he also agreed that the mod has several balance issues. What's the problem here, if he can also see them?

I think there might be a misunderstanding here: I was just giving criticism for him to improve. By pointing the flaws of his mod, I can help him to improve. He can know what to change and that, my friend, is the best encouragement anyone could get. Praise is mild, after all. Re-read my posts and you will see how I try to exactly pin-point everything.
Ask FlashKirby how we are talking in private. I am pretty interested in his mod and I want to help him as much as possible. So you saying that I don't appreciate his mod is... Well... Simply not true.

The problem here is, like I said, that people do not know how to take "not-praise". Nowadays no one appreciates constructive criticism, no matter how well someone or civil someone tries to give it.

Regarding the "fun" factor you mention: Making the game babby mode is not going to make anyone have fun. And you seem to think I want to make it an impossible challenge. Nothing like that.

If you look at my conversation with the mod creator too, you will see he also agreed that the mod has several balance issues. What's the problem here, if he can also see them?
And that's exactly why it's a good thing that this mod is a framework at its core, mod authors can make different quest mods however they feel like and people can select which they want to have, and which they don't. Again you're absolutely right about the balance concerns about this mod, you gave valuable feedback. Heck I'd think you'd make a fantastic extension to this mod. But I also think there's gonna be mod makers who make quests that are "less balanced". I really appreciate balance concerns at my projects, because as an author it's hard to see what's balanced or not sometimes.

Progress is saved per character. If you are absolutely totally most definitely sure you want to delete all quest progress, hold the keys O-K-0 (oh, kay, zero) when saving and exiting the world. This will reset your character's progress.
Okay thanks btw is the 4th qeust bug gone whit the inefent wood

And that's exactly why it's a good thing that this mod is a framework at its core, mod authors can make different quest mods however they feel like and people can select which they want to have, and which they don't. Again you're absolutely right about the balance concerns about this mod, you gave valuable feedback. Heck I'd think you'd make a fantastic extension to this mod. But I also think there's gonna be mod makers who make quests that are "less balanced". I really appreciate balance concerns at my projects, because as an author it's hard to see what's balanced or not sometimes.

Sadly most mods creators leave balance out of the windows, and always say things like "but this is a SANDBOX game!" or "people have different playtstyles" in order to not balance their projects. It's nice to see mod creators taking balance-concerns seriously. I really think that's what makes Terraria a good game, don't you think?

I am trying to work on a quest module. Hopefully @Flashkirby99 likes it so much that he makes it the main quest-line. Hey, I can dream lol.

Umm... hello, i used a rusted box i got in one of the pre-hardmode quests and opened it straight away and got an illumite mask (from thorium) which is just before vortex armor in tier. Is this supposed to happen or what?

Hello there, been using your mod recently and I've been reading a few of the comments that others have left for you. Now I know that making everyone happy is impossible because everyone has their own unique, individual play-style. I myself enjoy a nice challenge but every now and then like to take it easy.

I like the ideas of Lara and Updatedude and Cheezegami, they each, in my own opinion, speak for a different group of people with different ways of enjoying the game. As for my own input, it would be nice to have things unlock as the character progresses (Usually by beating a certain boss or even completing one of the quests. Also having a custom currency for the NPCs shop to perhaps to buy items (and maybe for other things too, like custom buffs and so on) is an excellent idea.

I would love to be able to offer more, but I know you are working hard with others on a new version of this, so I think I shall wait until that is released to renew my input. Keep up the great work.

@RexodinoLP

The 8th quest is the "Mecha Revenge". I too had this concern when completing it, not getting any quest afterwards. But if you continue progressing and defeat the 3 mecha bosses, and move on to Plantera, the next quest should show up. I am sorry I do not remember if you had to defeat all three of the mechs, or just one in order for the next quest to show up, but it will show up.

@RexodinoLP

The 8th quest is the "Mecha Revenge". I too had this concern when completing it, not getting any quest afterwards. But if you continue progressing and defeat the 3 mecha bosses, and move on to Plantera, the next quest should show up. I am sorry I do not remember if you had to defeat all three of the mechs, or just one in order for the next quest to show up, but it will show up.
oh ok, thats weird, the quest should say dat, well im hyped to what this mod brings and im even more hyped to add support for my mod! :D

Hit the o key, k key, and 0(Zero) key to reset progress
I just did; it didn't work. in game I hit them. hit them in that order? I did both order and together.
[doublepost=1484592646,1484592132][/doublepost]
I just did; it didn't work. in game I hit them. hit them in that order? I did both order and together.
I see. all together when saving and exiting. Got it!! thank you!

HI sorry, about all this. Basically an update - I am working on a more stable version as I've mentioned somewhere before. Unfortunately because of the nature of it (the mod is now separated into two) I can't really push out bug fixes for the current build...

But!

There have been a lot of bug fixes since I first started this project, since I've learnt more about how to code in tModLoader (and C# generally), and now that WeaponOut is stable and AGDQ is over, I am in the process of fixing up minor issues and actually making content. Thanks to everyone for the support so far, just bear with me for a little while longer..

thJkXNp.png

Back
Top Bottom