tModLoader Expeditions Mod - Modular Quest System

@123Nick It kinda does. How much of "work" do you mean... :p
@Zomboss9000 Honestly I don't even know, that's on the old version which I am currently very far away from code-wise. I'm hoping to release v2 sometime this week, even if I haven't added all the quests since it's better than nothing.

You can sell photos of certain npcs for a good price.
1035580eeb0a4850b5ec27bf8b4f056a.png

I got the quest to defeat the Eater of Worlds without breaking it up into more than 3 pieces. I'm not sure if it's bugged or if I'm genuinely not satisfying the criteria though.

I'm using a post-Moon Lord character to do it, so I'm destroying the Eater even as it materializes, but I can't satisfy the "doesn't break into 3" criteria. I even just outright used the Cheat Sheet NPC butcherer cheat to insta-kill it and it still doesn't satisfy the criteria.

Edit: Also, the photo taking aspect is exceeeeeeeellent.

Also also, how do we unlock more Wayfarer gear? I got the mission to unlock the Summon item but not quests for the other equipment. Again, I'm playing on a Post-Moonlord world, so are the quests for the other equipment not triggering because I'm not running through early game events?

Perhaps those quests should be available by default? Summon item quest requirements seem somewhat high given the low tier of the item. Perhaps either reduced requirements or a buff to the item?

Extra: I certainly wouldn't mind a high tier version of the Summon item as having a bunch of foxes, chickens and cats is aaaaaawesome. There wouldn't be any need to re-skin anything either. Just use the same everything (at most, change the hue of the item), name it the Wayfarer's Gong or something and buff up the damage.

Last edited:
@RoyalGuardians Woops, forgot to set photo values properly... welp, I'll fix it later.
I got the quest to defeat the Eater of Worlds without breaking it up into more than 3 pieces. I'm not sure if it's bugged or if I'm genuinely not satisfying the criteria though.
Yeah I was afraid the EoW one might not work very well, I need to do more testing on that one. It' hard to work with this boss because the amount of heads it has flickers between values whenever you break off a part.

Also also, how do we unlock more Wayfarer gear? I got the mission to unlock the Summon item but not quests for the other equipment. Again, I'm playing on a Post-Moonlord world, so are the quests for the other equipment not triggering because I'm not running through early game events?
The various wayfarer quests will not appear after early game events simply because they are no longer required, though maybe an override later to unlock them all would be an idea given mods like Item Checklist etc. I'm assuming this is a reason why you ask about it?
Weapon Quest (sword, spear, bow) disappears after QBee or Skeletron.
Gun Quest (carbine, repeater) and Staff Quest disappears after Hardmode
Anyway, hardmode wayfarer items are for later, since I haven't got around to making them yet.

Perhaps those quests should be available by default? Summon item quest requirements seem somewhat high given the low tier of the item. Perhaps either reduced requirements or a buff to the item?.
Not sure how to go about balancing this. The idea is that the items for the summon quest are all things a player can go out of their way to get from pretty early on, but since vanilla summon items are late-early game it's hard to balance when they should be available.

The key question here is: Should players have access to summon weapons before EoC? Slime staff not withstanding, summon weapons can only be found at tier 3+, which is available once the player has (under normal progression) a Nightmare/Deathbringer Pickaxe. If players can access it before EoC, how do you go about setting the challenge to get one?

Edit: Also, the photo taking aspect is exceeeeeeeellent.
There will be more album quests for ye completionists ;)

@RoyalGuardians Woops, forgot to set photo values properly... welp, I'll fix it later.

Yeah I was afraid the EoW one might not work very well, I need to do more testing on that one. It' hard to work with this boss because the amount of heads it has flickers between values whenever you break off a part.

The various wayfarer quests will not appear after early game events simply because they are no longer required, though maybe an override later to unlock them all would be an idea given mods like Item Checklist etc. I'm assuming this is a reason why you ask about it?
Weapon Quest (sword, spear, bow) disappears after QBee or Skeletron.
Gun Quest (carbine, repeater) and Staff Quest disappears after Hardmode
Anyway, hardmode wayfarer items are for later, since I haven't got around to making them yet.

Not sure how to go about balancing this. The idea is that the items for the summon quest are all things a player can go out of their way to get from pretty early on, but since vanilla summon items are late-early game it's hard to balance when they should be available.

The key question here is: Should players have access to summon weapons before EoC? Slime staff not withstanding, summon weapons can only be found at tier 3+, which is available once the player has (under normal progression) a Nightmare/Deathbringer Pickaxe. If players can access it before EoC, how do you go about setting the challenge to get one?

There will be more album quests for ye completionists ;)
I'm bummed that that neat little summoning weapon is gone. Will it be implemented?

The reason is because they're awesome? Not in terms of damage dealing. And it's not like I can't cheat some copies out. But they're nice looking weapons and I don't mind them being available. It's no biggie though.

You're right about it being fairly easy to get early on. Albeit with some work and luck involved (mainly the luck involved in getting the ruby staff). In that context, I guess it's balanced.

I can see this item being post-EoC. If this were a different type of mod, where the point is that the player becomes more powerful, I'd say go pre-EoC. But since this is more of an additional content mod, I think being post-EoC is reasonable, given the strength of summons in general.

Edit: Perhaps the recipe for Summon can be simplified though? The hardest component seems to be the ruby staff. A Terrarium seems reasonable.

Perhaps the other components can be changed to 5 gold (research budget). This makes it technically even tougher to farm, since the other components are relatively cheap or common. A Bug Net (necessary to catch the critters) is only 25 silver after all.

So, a staff of some sort, a Terrarium and 3 to 5 gold?

I kinda feel highly complex recipes/requirements are a bit of a bore. 3 to 4 components per tier is as complex as I like, personally. There's less to keep track of or clutter the inventory. But that's me.

Last edited:
Very interesting mod, but i have some questions:
1. In new version (base mod + content pack) how i find Clerk? She is not spawn. I am unlucky or i need something else?
2. How i can reset expedition list? If i create new character and new world - expedition not clear. I have expedition-list of old world. Maybe add "create-mod only" item for reset expeditions?

@Audrina2k Still in! just there's a quest for it rather than being in the store straight away.

@dreverseb
1. Clerk no longer spawns at the start, you need to have at least 120 Health, 20 Mana and 6 defence before she will spawn, and it's random location on the surface.
2. Quest data is saved to character not world, though from the sounds of it new characters are getting previous load data. Will look into this.
EDIT: Can confirm is a bug in the base mod.

@updatedude Yeah I'll do a bit of messing about to see what might work. It may be that I just nerf the weapon slightly then make it more available since the reason why it's there in the first place is because Summoners need more <3 in the early game.

Last edited:
Will push out an bug fixing update in a bit, can confirm new characters don't actually reset progress data as it's supposed to.

EDIT: v2.0.1, fixes new character bug by actually resetting progress.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom