tModLoader Experience and Classes

Are the new class advancement requirements reasonable?

• Yes! Major changes are NOT needed.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • The Monster/Boss Orb requirements are reasonable, but not the other requirements.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The other requirements are reasonable, but not the Monster/Boss Orb requirements.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No! Major changes are needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Neato! It'll be interesting to see how this'll go.

-added commands "/expadd #", "/expsub #", and "/expset #"
-added "/exprate #" to change rate of exp gain (individual for each character, does not change the green numbers that appears above your head)
-introduced quasi-item experience system (tied to character file)

Nice. The commands are great for that whole "I want to be able to power up or de-power at will" thing. Maybe a "/lvladd #" and "/lvlsub" command as well?

Another feedback. As I've already confessed, I DO cheat and gave myself 999999 exp. But naturally, since it's not possible to go pass level 146 in v0.1.7, that means there's a lot of un-used exp. What I did was break them down into smaller batches, such as anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand and put them in my chests for my new characters to find (since I played your mod with a variety of character types/classes).

As another poster said, perhaps you can integrate EXP Orbs as a consumable item? Which people may be able to use for adventure maps? Perhaps you can craft EXP Orbs at the expense of your own pool of EXP. Just buy an Empty EXP Orb from the Merchant or something, then you can craft a 500, 1000, 5000, 10000, 50000, 100000 and 999999 EXP Orb, based on your own pool of EXP.

Just an idea for future updates.

The inventory size strikes again :p

EuIqRUL.jpg

Community feed back questions:
Q1. How much do you mind experience being an item?
My answer --> It is good that it transfers between worlds but it will only work in the long run if you can get it down to one item, Can you make an item with a number in it and update that number?
Q2. How much do you mind classes taking an accessory slot?
My answer --> I like it because that makes classes swap-able and tells me exactly what I am getting.
Q3. Should class token crafting be done at workbenches? Would somewhere else make more sense?
My answer --> I like the workbenches because there easy to get and not always in your crafting bar.
Q4. What is your opinion of the current classes and progressions?
My answer --> I think you meant warrior to be an upgrade to squire if so I would use the exact same name and background color for both to reduce user confusion. As for balance I am not really practiced enough to say.
5. Does current experience gain and level requirements feel good? Too grindy? Not grindy enough?
My answer --> What testing I have done has been pretty good so far.

The inventory size strikes again :p

EuIqRUL.jpg
The solution is coming! I should have v0.2 up later today. Free inventories for all!

@ben_kalush Thanks for the feedback!

Q1. How much do you mind experience being an item?
My answer --> It is good that it transfers between worlds but it will only work in the long run if you can get it down to one item, Can you make an item with a number in it and update that number?
I am moving away from the exp=item implementation in the next update. I think that everyone will be happy with this change.

Q2. How much do you mind classes taking an accessory slot?
My answer --> I like it because that makes classes swap-able and tells me exactly what I am getting.
I feel the same way. The accessory implementation is very convenient. I may start a poll to see how many people actually want that change.

Q3. Should class token crafting be done at workbenches? Would somewhere else make more sense?
My answer --> I like the workbenches because there easy to get and not always in your crafting bar.
Initially, crafting could be done anywhere and it was awful. I kind of like the idea of spreading out the crafting though. For example, have the mages find/construct a bookshelf to craft their progressions. Maybe gate certain progressions with Mythril Anvil, etc. I don't want to make it too tedious, but a little effort for class advancement might not be so bad. On that note, I may gate progression in other ways such as using Soul of Sight in a recipe. Gather quests for advancement?

Q4. What is your opinion of the current classes and progressions?
My answer --> I think you meant warrior to be an upgrade to squire if so I would use the exact same name and background color for both to reduce user confusion. As for balance I am not really practiced enough to say.
The sprites are a mess. I'm hoping that some kind artist donates a few sprites to our cause. If not, I'll have another go at them eventually.

5. Does current experience gain and level requirements feel good? Too grindy? Not grindy enough?
My answer --> What testing I have done has been pretty good so far.
Great! With v0.2, players can adjust their own experience gain rate so you will have the ability to tweak this if it ever feels off.

Neato! It'll be interesting to see how this'll go.

Nice. The commands are great for that whole "I want to be able to power up or de-power at will" thing. Maybe a "/lvladd #" and "/lvlsub" command as well?

Another feedback. As I've already confessed, I DO cheat and gave myself 999999 exp. But naturally, since it's not possible to go pass level 146 in v0.1.7, that means there's a lot of un-used exp. What I did was break them down into smaller batches, such as anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand and put them in my chests for my new characters to find (since I played your mod with a variety of character types/classes).

As another poster said, perhaps you can integrate EXP Orbs as a consumable item? Which people may be able to use for adventure maps? Perhaps you can craft EXP Orbs at the expense of your own pool of EXP. Just buy an Empty EXP Orb from the Merchant or something, then you can craft a 500, 1000, 5000, 10000, 50000, 100000 and 999999 EXP Orb, based on your own pool of EXP.

Just an idea for future updates.
The experience items are now consumable. You can consume them in bulk with a command. You can now also craft them from your earned experience with a command. They are still used in class advancement crafting (may change).

Last edited:

The mod can differentiate bosses from non bosses by bools specifically made for each boss although not all the bosses have bools but most do. It will take a bit more lines of code than if they were all grouped into a category but it's possible.

BTW you might wanna make the game display "in chat" when you equip more than 1 accessory that if you do that none will work. Or to make the item check on equip if there is an other of your accessories and if there is to auto unequip (dont know if this function exist though).

The mod can differentiate bosses from non bosses by bools specifically made for each boss although not all the bosses have bools but most do. It will take a bit more lines of code than if they were all grouped into a category but it's possible.

BTW you might wanna make the game display "in chat" when you equip more than 1 accessory that if you do that none will work. Or to make the item check on equip if there is an other of your accessories and if there is to auto unequip (dont know if this function exist though).
I am already using the boss bools to make sure that I give boss exp even if the player has died (for multiplayer). Iara's suggestion (assuming I understood it correctly), was to prevent exp from monsters that are created by bosses (e.g., EoC spawns a few demon eyes). I don't see a way to differentiate between these spawns and normal ones.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get that in with v0.2.

Not sure if its this mod or something else, but after updating a summon I was using prior to this is now not working correctly. The summon is just popping out and disappearing

Edit:

Just checked and it is something from this mod that broke my summoning. When disabled I can summon normally, and without issue.

Not sure if its this mod or something else, but after updating a summon I was using prior to this is now not working correctly. The summon is just popping out and disappearing

Edit:

Just checked and it is something from this mod that broke my summoning. When disabled I can summon normally, and without issue.
Thank you.

I have been able to replicate the issue and I am looking into the cause.

Edit: I have found the source of the issue.
Edit2: Fixed. Pushing new version shortly. Sorry for the trouble.

Last edited:
The /expuse command doesn't work for me, it just shows up in chat.
I just tested it and it's working for me.

Specifically, I typed
/expcraft 5
/expuse 5

This converted 5 of my experience to items and then consumed them (net zero experience).

Excellente work. So err, how do we craft Exp Orbs?

For the purpose of upgrading the Class Token I mean.

Overall, excellente update. Personally, I'm basically satisfied.

Edit: Dear mother of Joe and Mary, the experience. The eeeeeexperience.

Last edited:
I have a problem because command /expuse doesnt work :C
You're the second person to have that issue, but I can't seem to replicate it. Is there any additional information you can give me?

Edit: I have tested multiple characters on multiple maps, both singleplayer and multiplayer.

@Saerus If i recall correctly the only boss that spawns mobs that are also normal spawned mobs is the EOC. So you can exclude those mobs from giving exp and then check if a certain boss is present and when that happens exclude the eyes from dropping exp (I asked on discord and Trivaxy told me he knew how to do it but didnt have the pc at hand so maybe ask him if you don't find how to do it).

@Saerus If i recall correctly the only boss that spawns mobs that are also normal spawned mobs is the EOC. So you can exclude those mobs from giving exp and then check if a certain boss is present and when that happens exclude the eyes from dropping exp (I asked on discord and Trivaxy told me he knew how to do it but didnt have the pc at hand so maybe ask him if you don't find how to do it).
I understand the logic of how that would work, but I don't think that it is a big enough issue to warrant the hassle. There are much more effective ways to farm experience so it isn't really an exploit, especially if it's just demon eyes.

I understand the logic of how that would work, but I don't think that it is a big enough issue to warrant the hassle. There are much more effective ways to farm experience so it isn't really an exploit, especially if it's just demon eyes.

Yeah I wasn't requesting it I just thought you were wondering how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom