tModLoader Experience and Classes

Are the new class advancement requirements reasonable?

• Yes! Major changes are NOT needed.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • The Monster/Boss Orb requirements are reasonable, but not the other requirements.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The other requirements are reasonable, but not the Monster/Boss Orb requirements.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No! Major changes are needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Also maybe a fisher class that is tier 2. :sigh: just throwing it out there.
Fishing modifications are unlikely to make it into this mod - at least not any time soon.

Hello Saerus! Is it possible to set exprate to 0? I mean... could I use "set exprate 0" to cap my level?
Yes, but with one small caveat. At present, the minimum experience given from valid monsters is 1. In the next version, I will fix this so that no experience is given when exprate is 0.

I think there's another mod called Dushy's which is able to upgrade weapons.

Having said that, I do agree that using experience to craft things is rather fun and I look forward to future updates on this mod.
At this time, I do not intend to add any weapons/armor. I do like the idea (and exp crafting in general), but my focus is on polishing the rpg/exp/class side of things before anything else. I might come back to this after the mod is released.

Dushy's mod is pretty cool. The upgrade systems allows you to keep weapon/armor relevant for longer when you find something that you really like. If you do try it, keep an eye on your log file. I once had an issue where that mod produced excessive output and my log file was >600mb before I realized what was going on.

oh, and another thing, at lvl 13 you need 6220,8....... xp to level up, so when you get lvl 14 it says you have (for example) 501,20000000000000000000000000000001 xp
Thanks for the report. This issue is on my to do list. I believe that it's just a simple UI bug that popped up when I switched the data type of experience.

Once the (hopefully) massive nerfs come through, I'm enabling this mod once more. I already lowered the exprate to 5% due to the three massive mod packs adding new enemies and bosses, but as soon as i achieve class 3 and hit lvl 10 (Ninja) crit rate hits 100% and damage is just to op, and i usually hit that before going into hardmode as well.
It helps me see why boss progression mods are more preferred now a days, but i'm still a fan of the hardcore mob grinding (not using a mob grinder) thing, so i'm fine with killing 10,000 or so enemies just to hit lvl 10. So i'm loving this mod ALOT!
The balance pass and another adjustment to level requirements should be up in the next day or two. In the mean time, you could adjust your exprate to suit your needs (see /exprate #).

maby make a config file where you can set a multiplier of the amount of xp dropped
At present, the exprate multiplayer can be set on a per character basis using "/exprate #". The setting is saved in the character file. Would a config file be preferable?

Hey Saerus, I was just testing the mana regeneration on the mystic class (the occasional regen given at level one) and it appears as though it doesnt actually restore any mana, but it does display the text above your character.

I tested it two ways, one while continuously spamming a spell and the other spamming a spell down to 0 mana then stopping just before the regen would go off.

Its doesnt really affect the game at all cause you get more than enough max mana and reduced mana cost anyways.

Hey Saerus, I was just testing the mana regeneration on the mystic class (the occasional regen given at level one) and it appears as though it doesnt actually restore any mana, but it does display the text above your character.

I tested it two ways, one while continuously spamming a spell and the other spamming a spell down to 0 mana then stopping just before the regen would go off.

Its doesnt really affect the game at all cause you get more than enough max mana and reduced mana cost anyways.
Thank you for the report. I have fixed the issue (will be available in the next version).

During testing, I found a bigger issue. Mana regeneration delay values of 40+ are removing the regen delay altogether, which results in infinite mana and a very annoying clicking sound each time you reach max mana (several times a second while casting). I will put a limit on this bonus, which should make the periodic regen more sensible.

v0.2.2
-fixed Archer tooltip2 states reduced arrow damage (arrow damage was correct, issue was with tooltip)
-fixed periodic life/mana regen wasn't working (despite the visuals appearing)
-experience cannot be reduced below zero by commands
-added /explvladd, /explvlsub, /explvlset
-there shouldn't be any more decimal values in experience
-UI now shows at most 99.99% (even when exp rounds to 100%)
-exp requirements adjusted (after level 10, each level requires 50% more than the prior level)
-setting exprate to zero now eliminates all experience gain from monster kills
-added command /expmsg to enabled/disable the "You have earned x experience." messages
New update available. The balance pass is up next.

Thank you for the report. I have fixed the issue (will be available in the next version).

During testing, I found a bigger issue. Mana regeneration delay values of 40+ are removing the regen delay altogether, which results in infinite mana and a very annoying clicking sound each time you reach max mana (several times a second while casting). I will put a limit on this bonus, which should make the periodic regen more sensible.

No problem! Love the mod and keep up the great work :D

edit:

I had an idea, if you want to try something other than a limit on the regen delay bonus aspect of leveling, what you could do instead is make that one of the "milestone" level bonuses such as the default level 1 bonus of occasional regen (but make this new one level 15 or something). Since this would be a one time bonus you wouldnt need to cap it as the value could be preset to something resonable, and you could balance the rest of the classes numbers more effectively to bring out their strengths (such as greater mana regen growth or max mana, or even increases the effectiveness of periodic mana restore). Thoughts?

Goodluck with the balance pass by the way!

Last edited:
Would a white/yellow popup number above your character be a possibility?
I took a look and didn't see a simple/clean way to implement this, but I'm sure that it's possible. I did find a somewhat roundabout method, but it only works in multiplayer.

Hey how can i upgrade my token? The Guide says that i need 1600 xp but with the new version i dont have the xp in the inventory anymore so i can't craft it.

Nice mod btw :dryadwink:

Hey how can i upgrade my token? The Guide says that i need 1600 xp but with the new version i dont have the xp in the inventory anymore so i can't craft it.

Nice mod btw :dryadwink:
use /expcraft [amount] in the chat to get xp items

@Saerus maby it's a smart idea to add /expcraft to the tooltip of the classtokens or xp items just as you did with /expuse so this confusion won't happen anymore

I wonder if it is possible to count the XP for crafting from the XP bar without the text conversion thing? Or maybe an item can be made (placeable) that, when you right click it, converts all of your current XP into an item, and another item that takes all item XP and converts it into bar XP.

I'm loving the mod, but the chat commands don't seem to be working for me. I do, in fact, have the latest versions of everything. Hiding the exp bar works, but not using the exp items or anything. I'm stuck with a stack of exp :( Advice?

Edit: That was weird. It's suddenly working. All I did was tab back into the game. All's well that ends well I suppose.

Last edited:
I have changed the way that class advancement crafting works. The recipe is now available only when you have enough (non-item) experience. Then, when you craft the token, the required experience is removed from your earned (non-item) experience. I hope that this new system will be more intuitive. This will be available in the next version (later tonight, probably).

You will not have to use /expcraft anymore except if you want to trade or store your experience.

I have changed the way that class advancement crafting works. The recipe is now available only when you have enough (non-item) experience. Then, when you craft the token, the required experience is removed from your earned (non-item) experience. I hope that this new system will be more intuitive. This will be available in the next version (later tonight, probably).

You will not have to use /expcraft anymore except if you want to trade or store your experience.

You are pretty damn awesome.

Back
Top Bottom