tModLoader Experience and Classes

Are the new class advancement requirements reasonable?

• Yes! Major changes are NOT needed.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • The Monster/Boss Orb requirements are reasonable, but not the other requirements.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The other requirements are reasonable, but not the Monster/Boss Orb requirements.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No! Major changes are needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I installed the mod via ingame mod browser and enabled it, reloaded it, and can't seem to get this mod to work at all. I have no idea what the token is and how to get it. There is no indication in game that the mod is even working at all. :s
it works go to a workbench and make the token also do /expbar in the chat window

I installed the mod via ingame mod browser and enabled it, reloaded it, and can't seem to get this mod to work at all. I have no idea what the token is and how to get it. There is no indication in game that the mod is even working at all. :s
Since I followed this mod somewhat early on, I knew what to do, but I'll admit that I've been wondering about the documentation side as well. I just figured it was fairly low priority seeing as this is a wip.

Anyways, jeremysb, it seems you can see what level you are and how much experience you have by pressing enter to open the dialogue box, then typing /expbar

Then, just go to a workbench and you should be able to craft the Novice Token for free. You'll have to equip the Token in order to gain experience from killing enemies. Once you have enough experience, the option to craft Tier 2 Tokens will be available. Crafting Tier 2 tokens will require you unequip the Novice Token and it will reduce your exp/level, but it'll be worth it.

Once you get enough experience after that, you'll be able to craft Tier 3 Tokens. If you level up the Tier 3 Token, it'll pretty much be the most powerful accessory in the entire game. Even moreso than the OP accessories from other mods. The trade off is that it'll take a lot of playing and grinding. So you'll have to earn that OPness.

Dope, thanks a lot mate. I was reading every last bit of the original thread and I couldn't find that little bit of information... Probably overlooking it. Thanks again!

Since I followed this mod somewhat early on, I knew what to do, but I'll admit that I've been wondering about the documentation side as well. I just figured it was fairly low priority seeing as this is a wip.

Anyways, jeremysb, it seems you can see what level you are and how much experience you have by pressing enter to open the dialogue box, then typing /expbar

Then, just go to a workbench and you should be able to craft the Novice Token for free. You'll have to equip the Token in order to gain experience from killing enemies. Once you have enough experience, the option to craft Tier 2 Tokens will be available. Crafting Tier 2 tokens will require you unequip the Novice Token and it will reduce your exp/level, but it'll be worth it.

Once you get enough experience after that, you'll be able to craft Tier 3 Tokens. If you level up the Tier 3 Token, it'll pretty much be the most powerful accessory in the entire game. Even moreso than the OP accessories from other mods. The trade off is that it'll take a lot of playing and grinding. So you'll have to earn that OPness.
How can I improve documentation/clarity? The first post in this thread contains everything new users might need... or so I thought.

Also, I believe that it's only a few prior users who will need to use /expbar. The bar defaults to visible.

Edit: I have coloured the words "crafted at any workbench" in multiple sections of the original post to make this a little more clear. I have also put a note in the Mod Browser description, which will appear in future versions.

How can I improve documentation/clarity? The first post in this thread contains everything new users might need... or so I thought.

Also, I believe that it's only a few prior users who will need to use /expbar. The bar defaults to visible.

You're right. I overlooked it, I don't know how. I have never used this mod before but the EXP Bar didn't default even when I crafted the novice tier token, when I equipped it and all the EXP Bar didn't show up, but typing in the command did.

You're right. I overlooked it, I don't know how. I have never used this mod before but the EXP Bar didn't default even when I crafted the novice tier token, when I equipped it and all the EXP Bar didn't show up, but typing in the command did.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll look into it.

Edit: I created a few new characters, but the bar showed up as soon as I crafted and equipped my first token. I'll put a few fail-safes into the code since I can't seem to replicate the bug.

Edit2: New characters now start with a Novice Token if the mod is installed.

Edit3: Even if I make a new character while the mod is disabled, the experience bar still appears once I enable the mod and equip a token.

Edit4: I've introduced a fail-safe that should do the trick. I have a guess at what was happening, but I can't be sure. I'll put up a tiny new version with this to prevent confusion.

v0.5.4
-new characters start with Novice Token in inventory
-fixed issue with expbar not appearing for some new users (type /expbar if it's still not showing)

and here is the next step
v1.0.0
-/expbar command now displays a message indicating current state
-improve class descriptions in tooltips
-add a simple collection component to class advancement
-"Experience" item renamed to "Experience Orb"
-new item "Boss Orb" drops from all bosses by 25% chance, one drop chance per player in multiplayer (multiple can drop), used in Tier III class advancement recipes, excess can be exchanged for experience orbs at any worktable or simply sold
-new item "Monster Orb" drops from all non-bosses with base experience >1 at a 1% chance, one drop chance per nearby player in multiplayer (multiple can drop), used in Tier II and III class advancement recipes, excess can be exchanged for experience orbs at any worktable or simply sold
-rarity (item name colour) of tokens now matches tier
-Hybrid II now has a 0.5% chance per level to inflict Midas Debuff
-drastically reduced mod file size
-transition from "Work in Progress" to "Release"

Class advancement recipes can be seen here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0MAvKt4u50dR1IwWnB4Y2VUZDQ/view?usp=sharing

I will update the main post once the update is live.

Attachments

• Boss_Orb.png
    Boss_Orb.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Monster_Orb.png
    Monster_Orb.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
So wait, upgrading to a Tier 3 class will require 25 Boss Orbs? That means an expected amount of 100 bosses killed for that class.

That seems excessive.

Woohoo!
v1.0.0 is up. Enjoy!

Once I finish updating the main post, I'll ask a mod to move us over to the "Released" sub.

So wait, upgrading to a Tier 3 class will require 25 Boss Orbs? That means an expected amount of 100 bosses killed for that class.

That seems excessive.
Time will tell if it's excessive. Remember that any boss counts. Even slime king, queen bee, EOC, and other easily repeatable baddies. Bosses from other mods should work too so long as they are tagged correctly.

Edit: Also, reaching level 25 will take a fair bit of time so you should find most of those orbs without grinding, but please let me know if this requirement turns out to be unreasonable.

Last edited:
Know of any open servers that utilize this mod? I want to enjoy this mod but not alone.
This mod is quite young (and just released) so I doubt that there are any servers. If any one starts one and want me to list it on the main post, just let me know. :)

The mod not dropping fallen star in multiplayer.
I just hopped into a multiplayer game and saw a fallen star spawn. Are you using any other mods?

Edit: I have seen around 10 stars fall now.

Last edited:
I gotta ask, though we do have the option to go about it as we please in terms of legit/grinding/whatever, I would ask if there is a possible way to localize the exp gain in multiplayer? See, I'm running a tmodloader server with a few buddies of mine and I find it somewhat unfair that anyone gets xp for anything dying anywhere. That being said, do you think you could possibly implement a feature in which we could disable grinding per say? Like, get no xp for mobs spawned via statues? And potentially only get XP if you damaged the mob or something of the sort? Or should I just reduce the xp gain on the server so as our summoners cant afk farm all day?

Nonetheless, I am enjoying your mod greatly, as I've had no issues with it working with any other mod. Great work!

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you did do a lot of what i was asking about when i clicked on the spoilers. My bad!

Last edited:
I gotta ask, though we do have the option to go about it as we please in terms of legit/grinding/whatever, I would ask if there is a possible way to localize the exp gain in multiplayer? See, I'm running a tmodloader server with a few buddies of mine and I find it somewhat unfair that anyone gets xp for anything dying anywhere. That being said, do you think you could possibly implement a feature in which we could disable grinding per say? Like, get no xp for mobs spawned via statues? And potentially only get XP if you damaged the mob or something of the sort? Or should I just reduce the xp gain on the server so as our summoners cant afk farm all day?

Nonetheless, I am enjoying your mod greatly, as I've had no issues with it working with any other mod. Great work!

I think that I will reduce the experience share range - probably to 5000 units. That will be one quarter what it currently is. Note that the only time that all players receive experience is if they are together or if the experience is from a boss.

Monsters spawned from statues already give no experience.

Experience rate is set by each player. You cannot set everyone's experience rate - only your own.

It would be possible to award experience to only those players that hit a mob, but the implementation could contribute to lag/slowdown. Also, this would not be fair to all classes and would not distribute experience from weaker monsters very evenly.

I think that that a reduced share range is probably the answer to most of these issues.

Edit:
The new version is up. Let me know if this doesn't solve the issue.
v1.0.1
-experience share range reduced to 5,000 (from 20,000)

Last edited:
I just hopped into a multiplayer game and saw a fallen star spawn. Are you using any other mods?

Edit: I have seen around 10 stars fall now.

I am only using Tremor,Thorium,Calamity and Crystalium :/

Last edited:
Seemingly I am still getting xp from statue mobs. Slime, mimic, granite golem and skeleton have given me xp so far.
If that's the case, then I'm afraid I can't stop it.

if (!npc.friendly && npc.lifeMax>5 && !npc.SpawnedFromStatue && (npc.boss || (Main.player[npc.FindClosestPlayer()].Distance(npc.position) <= 5000f)))
The experience is contained within the above so if you are getting experience then the npc.SpawnedFromStatue flags are not set correctly and my hands are tied.

If that's the case, then I'm afraid I can't stop it.

The experience is contained within the above so if you are getting experience then the npc.SpawnedFromStatue flags are not set correctly and my hands are tied.

I have to ask... with somewhat limited knowledge on programming... the spawned from statue portion of the code is capitalized... while most others such as npc.friendly and npc.lifeMax or npc.boss begin with a lowercase or contain only lowercase, yet SpawnedFromStatue is entirely capital. Is it supposed to be that way? I have not dabbled much in C# nor tmodloaders programming, but I am curious in regards to this.

Back
Top Bottom