tModLoader Experience and Classes

Are the new class advancement requirements reasonable?

• Yes! Major changes are NOT needed.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • The Monster/Boss Orb requirements are reasonable, but not the other requirements.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The other requirements are reasonable, but not the Monster/Boss Orb requirements.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No! Major changes are needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have to ask... with somewhat limited knowledge on programming... the spawned from statue portion of the code is capitalized... while most others such as npc.friendly and npc.lifeMax or npc.boss begin with a lowercase or contain only lowercase, yet SpawnedFromStatue is entirely capital. Is it supposed to be that way? I have not dabbled much in C# nor tmodloaders programming, but I am curious in regards to this.
Yup. SpawnedFromStatue is a function that returns bool. The ones that start with lower case are directly accessed fields.
[doublepost=1483679073,1483678888][/doublepost]
If that's the case, then I'm afraid I can't stop it.

The experience is contained within the above so if you are getting experience then the npc.SpawnedFromStatue flags are not set correctly and my hands are tied.
Confirmed. Statue monsters give experience in multiplayer but not singleplayer. This is likely a tModLoader bug and not something that this mod can fix.

Edit: did a trace and confirmed that, in GlobalNPC.CheckDead, SpawnedFromStatue returns true in singleplayer and false in multiplayer.

Edit2: SpawnedFromStatue works when called from NPCLoot so statue monsters won't drop Monster Orbs. Unfortunately, the experience bits cannot be moved into that method for several reasons.

Last edited:
Yup. SpawnedFromStatue is a function that returns bool. The ones that start with lower case are directly accessed fields.
[doublepost=1483679073,1483678888][/doublepost]
Confirmed. Statue monsters give experience in multiplayer but not singleplayer. This is likely a tModLoader bug and not something that this mod can fix.
Duly noted. Thank you for your time and efforts nonetheless! I'll just have to set some rules in place with my buddies.

And again, I thank you for creating what I feel is a wonderful mod!

Maybe you use HERO's mod and paused time?

Edit: Is your tModLoader and all of those mods up to date?
I don't use Hero's mod .
All mods update.

Edit:I have some mods like Imk Sushi and Max Stack plus... but I do not think the problem is theirs.

I don't use Hero's mod .
All mods uptade.

Edit:I have some mods like Imk Sushi and Max Stack plus... but I do not think the problem is theirs.
I'm not sure what to say. I tested the big four you mentioned with this mod and still had stars in multiplayer.

If you want to look into this further, I suggest:
  1. Create a new world and see if it has stars, and if that doesn't work
  2. Disable mods until the stars come back (backup your worlds/characters first)

I'm not sure what to say. I tested the big four you mentioned with this mod and still had stars in multiplayer.

If you want to look into this further, I suggest:
  1. Create a new world and see if it has stars, and if that doesn't work
  2. Disable mods until the stars come back (backup your worlds/characters first)

Okay,Thanks for trying to help :D

I'm not sure if I agree with the new class advancement recipes, most of them are excessive (200 iron bars can be annoying to get if you don't want to do much mining, and a platinum coin is a platinum coin) while others don't really change much (10 extra monster orbs for summoners could either be hell or trivial depending on your luck), and then there's also the thing about needing to grind 25 bosses as well (I know you'll need to grind at least that many of them to reach level 25 before hardmode but having a number saying you have to do it adds gives it a different feeling). I was pretty fond of how simple the mod was, and I don't mind the new requirement of unique drops but I don't know, the current numbers feel kinda off at first glance.

Now on to seeing how this change looks in-game.

I'm not sure if I agree with the new class advancement recipes, most of them are excessive (200 iron bars can be annoying to get if you don't want to do much mining, and a platinum coin is a platinum coin) while others don't really change much (10 extra monster orbs for summoners could either be hell or trivial depending on your luck), and then there's also the thing about needing to grind 25 bosses as well (I know you'll need to grind at least that many of them to reach level 25 before hardmode but having a number saying you have to do it adds gives it a different feeling). I was pretty fond of how simple the mod was, and I don't mind the new requirement of unique drops but I don't know, the current numbers feel kinda off at first glance.

Now on to seeing how this change looks in-game.
My hope is that these somewhat high numbers will give us all something to work towards and make the class changes feel like more of an accomplishment rather than just "oh, I hit 25 - on to the next thing". This is something that I will keep a close eye on and adjust as needed. All feedback is helpful!

Edit:
Next on the to-do list:
v1.0.2
-Saint class advancement items changed to 1 Heart Lantern, 1 Star in a Bottle, and 10 Campfire
-all classes requiring 200 Lead/Iron Bars will be reduced to 100
-all classes requiring 100 Lead/Iron Bars will be reduced to 50
-experience exchange of Monster and Boss Orbs adjusted
-advancement orb requirements might be adjusted

v1.1.0
-move experience handling to server side
-remove client-client sync as it will become redundant (potatoes might see a performance improvement)
-fix statue-spawned NPC give exp (possible once exp is moved to server)
-allow experience rate to be set for entire server
-allow "cheat" commands to be restricted on servers

As you can see, the heavy lifting will be moved to the server and this will facilitate several features that have been requested in the past.

And then maybe it will be time for the Familiar, a minion class that limits minion count to 1 and prevents the use of sentries, but gains a multiplier for each minion lost this way (e.g., if you could normally use 2 minions then you would have 1 double-power minion). The implementation of this class depends on whether I can restrict the sentry limit.
ClassToken_Familiar.png

Tagging several people who might be interested in these changes:
@Agent Derp @leqesai @Teleclast @Strayed Soul @NeoPhantom and maybe @updatedude[/spoiler]

Last edited:
Great updates dude , I wanna ask again will you maybe add questing from expedition mod to this ? Would be cool to have class specific quests

New version up. Highlights:
-Lead/Iron Bar requirements were too high, cut in half
-Saint requirement used Gold, changed completely
-Boss and Monster Orbs can now be mix-matched to fit your playstyle
v1.0.2
-Monster Orb drop rate decreased
-Monster Orb experience exchange and value increased
-Monster Orb drop rate is increased for each character until they find their first Orb (to help with Tier II progression)
-Boss Orb experience exchange and value decreased to match Monster Orb
-Tier II class advancement now accepts one Monster or Boss Orb
-Tier III class advancement now accepts any combination of 50 Monster/Boss Orbs
-Summoner class advancements now accept any combination of Monster/Boss Orbs
-Saint class advancement items changed to 1 Heart Lantern, 1 Star in a Bottle, and 10 Campfire
-class advancement iron/lead bar requirements cut in half (except for Squire's 10 bar requirement)

Well, it's ok but i want it to be smaller cuz my screen is small, and the UI is big
I'll see if transparency is possible.

Great updates dude , I wanna ask again will you maybe add questing from expedition mod to this ? Would be cool to have class specific quests
It is very unlikely that I will add quests. However, if someone else ever wants to work on that, I would be open to collaboration.

Last edited:
Cool update.
Unfortunately, putting the two orbs into a "crafting group" caused a few issues. I've backtracked a little, but kept the essence of these changes.

Edit: Overall, the Orb requirements are now slightly easier because excess Boss Orbs convert to Ascension at a 2:1 ratio.

v1.0.3
-Backtracking a little bit from v1.0.2 (sorry!)
-"Monster Orb" renamed "Ascension Orb"
-Boss Orb exp/gold value restored to twice that of Ascension Orbs, can craft into 2 Ascension Orbs
-Tier II advancement uses 1 Ascension Orb
-Tier III advancement uses 5 Boss Orb and 50 Ascension Orb

CraftAdvance.png

Up next:
v1.0.4 (I'll probably delay these until v1.1.0 unless something big comes up)
-option to adjust UI transparency
-bugfix if anything comes up

v1.1.0
-move experience handling to server side
-remove client-client sync as it will become redundant (potatoes might see a performance improvement)
-fix statue-spawned NPC give exp (possible once exp is moved to server)
-allow experience rate to be set for entire server
-allow "cheat" commands to be restricted on servers
v1.1 involves a fair number of changes and testing so I would guess that it won't be available until sometime next week. Also, the changes will only affect multiplayer.

Last edited:
In case anyone is a fan of N64-era Zelda, I have added a few of my old side projects to the main post. There is a sound/sprite replacement that converts coins into rupees as well as a wavebank.

It sounds like you're playing an older version. Did you perhaps downloaded this mod and then didn't have time to play it until recently? The modder did a LOT of tweaking in the last few days. If you update the mod via the Mod Browser, I think you'll find a lot of these balance issues fixed.

For instance, experience doesn't take up an item slot any more, though the class token still takes up an accessory slot. Not only that, you can now set your own level and rate of XP gain, so you can adjust the challenge to suit your preference.

For instance, I tend to play at x3 the rate of experience as I feel gains come at a good clip yet it's not overly fast to the point where I don't need to grind. If you want a slower rate of experience gain, that can also be done.
Ahh I probably was then, I found the mod through TModloader and downloaded it from there so there is a high chance I was on an outdated version

Back
Top Bottom